Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Space Hack (PC, Single- & Multi-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Maximus Demo

This is a game that, to be honest, I haven't heard much of. I try to keep my eye on the radar and see what looks interesting and then monitor it.....maybe I missed this one.

I read the game description etc and concluded that it would be interesting to see, so I downloaded it. It didn't take too long....about 1 hour on a BB connection.

I suppose its a bit like meeting people initially, you can tell quite quickly if you are going to click or not. Well, I find that about games. The first few minutes is their chance to make a good impression (bit like an interview I suppose.. ).

Will this be a one night stand or will you be seeing them again.......

I reckon Maximus XV and me will be getting married soon ( to carry on the lame parallel).

The grafix are polished. Animation is excellent, even down to characters shadow movement. At one point nearing the end of the demo, I was standing in a tunnel by a huge extractor fan allowing my energy and health to build up. The fan movement was superb ( yeah so ??) and above me was a cable strung between two points and it was swaying. The cables shadow on the ground was moving also. Now these are not clinchers, but for me, that attention to detail goes a long way. If that much awareness and effort has gone into a small cable....well you know.
By the way, when you roll the mouse wheel, the view pans around......useful.

Sound is well matched to the atmosphere of the game and to the action at the time. I didnt really notice it during play, which for me is a good thing, as it didnt iritate the hell out of me...it was part of the game as it should be.

Your character has 4 stats and some derived stats. Weapons and armour cost energy, which is the currency of the game and is normally dropped by despatched aliens.
Some usable items require a certain level in one of the stats, say, Knowledge of 31, or Strength of 25.

When you level up, you receive 5 points to allocate between your 4 stats. Choices have to be made. Do I load up my Knowledge quickly so I can use the bigger weapons or go for Endurance (Life Points).

I came across an item that required a Knowledge of 70....thats a few levels then.

Item-wise, there are range weapons such as guns (plasma, magnetic & cold ray) and bows (?). Melee weapons are clubs, axes etc.
Shields, Armour & Helmets all have an armour rating (high is best and more expensive).
Hi-Tech items exist such as Teleport To Base, Auto Doctor to name two.....these are situated into 5 quick slots of your inventory and once used up can be recharged (nice) at a cost.
Towards the end of the demo, I also came across some Implants. These are in special slots of your inventory / rag doll screen and enhance attributes and or skills.

The Interface is bliss....Red Health bar on the left....Blue Energy bar on the right (for using energy weapons), a few quick slots and a message window. Nearly everything is achieved by using the LMB or hotkeys.

There is a map that overlays the game area, which you need obviously.

Now, a lot of people will say (me included) that this is "Diablo-in Space"..........................so??......that is a good thing.....

One thing I found whilst playing was that it was "fun" to play.

Enough of me rambling on, download it and you won't be dissapointed

Regards & enjoy

Hexmaster
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:35 pm