Usergroups
Prove to me the MMORPG genre isn't dead :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay okay you made your points but what i want is to interact with other players in making something like a small town not just my char and i dont see no evidence of any "rpin" on any mmorpg ive been on. And im 13 i dont have the money to spend on wow or guild wars or any of the "popular" rpgs
Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:30 am
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Meh, I'm trying to like MMOs but experiences with WoW and MxO have burned me out. Not the games so much as the people. WoW has too many 12 year old Counterstrike players. MxO had people that at first glance seemed mature, but then you realize they took it all just too seroiusly and forgot how to have fun. The rest were the same 12 year old Conuterstrike players that left WoW for a shiny new toy.

The only MMO comminuty I've enjoyed was Guild Wars. Mature enough not to greif (for the most part), yet loose enough to have fun. And to top it off, it was free to play.

I'm giving WoW another chance to see how Battlegrounds pans out. That's the reason I bought it when it came out and cancelled when it wasn't in there. I've been back less than a month and already the same old nonsense is there.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit. lol
Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:50 pm
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Could you tell me about guild wars i might just buy it im a 13 yr old bf player like i'd like to be able to kill big things but thats just me.

honestly if i get a game where when i reach lvl 25 and i can go out with a group of other players just killin stuff id lov it. Yeah and i'd agree on lots of other games ppl r too serious about levels like runescape everyones so tightass that on the mines ppl mine stuff and drop it on the ground and are too busy to explain why their being such jerks
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:33 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Balthemor
Could you tell me about guild wars i might just buy it im a 13 yr old bf player like i'd like to be able to kill big things but thats just me.

Well, max lvl in GW is 20. for now.. They say they are gonna make it up to 60 later on.

But the game is all about skills. I've seen lvl 15 killing lvl 20. I've seen lvl 20 no being able to do a mission, when lvl 7 could do it alone!

Game is fun, easy...hard...harder...very hard..and all that is fun. Good thing about GW, is that Arena.net never runs out of ideas. And each and every idea they have(had) is(was) awesome.

I think you totaly should buy GW. GW is not the game where you will go leveling. That's the game where you will go exploring... Taking out monsters, getting rare items, selling them, and doing GvG, and Team Arena. I's fun.

SOrry for off topic, but i wanted to answer.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:36 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

It is far from dead, it is just going through growing pains. It will take some time for companies to break current models (treadmill) and build better business plans that don't enforce exclusivity (Guild Wars is an example of a step in the right direction, also Second Life has altered its business model). Technologies that increase immersion will also help out here.

There may be a lull as companies struggle to adapt, but it will happen, and the genre will blossom.

-vaticide
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:01 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I don't think mmorpgs are dead. However, I feel that the life of each mmorpg will be shortened. Sure the whole idea of questing for xp has been overplayed. But it's the idea of playing in a community that makes it fun. But yeah, like every game, it gets boring after the point where Funfactor < Effort.

I've played several mmorpgs. Each had their moments. I played Asheron's Call 2 for a while. I think the fact that I reached upper level near the beginning was a major factor of me sticking with the game for 2 years. It was especially fun pvping against 5 other lower levels at once and kicking their asses. Sadly, Asheron's Call 2 is due to shut down on Dec. 31 because of their work with Dungeons and Dragons Online. R.I.P. AC2

I also feel that Ultima Online was a very well thought out game. I've been playing that one off and on for about 6 years. Just moved to the Siege Perilous server (which has oldschool pvp rules and other hardcore factors) about 3 years and has made my experience more rewarding.

My 2 cents.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:41 am
Balthemor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay sound kickass ill go save for it it'll be awesome to explore
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:28 am
Vesuvius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There are so many MMORPG's coming out because every company wants a part of the action, thus the players are spread thinner, but there are more players now too.

In short no it's not dieing but it's evolving drastically.
"A game built by gamers for gamers"
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:08 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If you define the MMORPG genre as a game that charges a monthly fee, has regularly updated content and requires an internet connection to play with people from around the world (or just in North America like the current trend) then I do not think this type of gaming is dead or dying. The RPG part may be dead but this model of business will be around awhile.

cptmaxon put it very clearly. The RPG part of MMORPG does not exist in general. Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) is more appropriate for all games in the genre.

I just activated my 7 day EQ2 free trial and made a character on the Lucan D'Lere server which is clearly labled as an RP Server.

I had a conversation lees than 12 hours ago like this:

A: Hey Amparo(me), can I join you for the Orc?
Me: Sure(For me, roleplaying does not mean I have to reply "Aye, certainly.")
A: Do I have to go back to that rat dude after we kill the Orc?
ME: My knowledge of dialects is limited, sorry. Do you mean the Ratonga Scout by chance?
A: ...
He ran off and disbanded from the group.

Of course, you do not have to roleplay on a roleplay server but the general atmosphere is less than conducive to roleplaying.

I would agree if you said that MMOGs are dead for CRPG fans. Ultima Online, Meridian 59 and Everquest may have been the next conceptualized evolution of the CRPG but they did not turn out that way at all.

Richard Garriot, love him or hate him, often has intersting insights. Read some of his quotes from two November 2005 interviews:

quote:
While MMOs opened up a great new area for gaming opportunities, most MMOs follow the narrow mold that was defined early on by Ultima Online and EverQuest. That even includes new MMOs like World of Warcraft. Basically they are all long, slow leveling fests, where monsters wait around to be 塗arvested・by players and then re-spawn back where they were. There is no real sense of a changing world, or my impact in it. No real sense of accomplishment above leveling up along with the masses of others on the same treadmill.

quote:
As MMORPGs have evolved, a number of different player types have come to be, each looking to get something different out of the genre. How have you been trying to balance Tabula Rasa so that as many people as possible will be happy with what they see? How tricky is the process?

Richard Garriott: This can be tricky or impossible, especially if you try to be all things to all people. But what you really need in a game is to support enough interrelated roles that people find an interesting role for themselves that interrelates to the roles of others in a compelling way. Trying to provide ALL possible roles is asking for trouble.

quote:
In some MMORPGs, the community can slowly develop a mentality of there being a “right” way of doing things, like a “right” character build, a “right” set of weapons to acquire, and so forth. How are you tackling this dilemma in Tabula Rasa?

Richard Garriott: That mentality springs out of the “min/max” attitude of a level grind oriented game. TR is a game where content is metered out by accomplishments more than levelling. We hope this will lessen the drive to have the one optimal item to maximize levelling. In our game levelling is less the focus of game play.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:16 am
ionstormsucks
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The MMORPG genre is not dead - not yet. But it certainly feels dead. There is hardly any innovation, all the mmos are using the same pattern of game mechanics. There is hardly anything done by game developers to stress the rpg aspect of mmrpgs - sooner or later it always leads to the old xp/equipment grind.
In addition all innovative projects in terms of genre are cancelled before they even get a chance to be succesful (or not). Lost continents, Imperator, etc. - I can almost hear the ceos saying "ah no, let's do something with elves instead - that seems to be fairly safe".
Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 pm
Silicor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am very treadmill intolerant and have trouble sticking with any traditional MMO. It is fun for the first 10-20 levels, but after that the novelty wears away and the grind becomes more evident. I have have met some good friends but communities die as folks get bored and move on. Is the genre dead, no... but it is to me until it breaks out of its current rut.

I'm throwing my support behind a new idea and one that totally breaks the mold, www.tacticaonline.com It is a tactical wargame where you build and equip squads with experience gained in missions. Every skill and item has a point cost so the playing field is always even, oh and you always face human opponents. The overarching story is driven from the types of teams that folks build/use and the results of campaigns and missions. They will be using a Guild Wars model for the game, so no re-occuring fees after buing the box. Beta signups are happening now and beta should start in the near future. Give it a try, at least it will be different
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:36 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2