Members
Usergroups
Introducing Age of Decadence
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread

quote:
Originally posted by VDweller
In my opinion, yes. What would you call a person who'd review Quake, for example, and call it an isometric, turn-based game, posting for other people to see and form opinions based on such a review?

Misinformed, maybe ignorant (at least when it comes to videogames), not retard. You do know what the word means, right?

quote:
Very amusing.

I'm glad I amuse you.
Oh, and nice try to twist my words, feel free to continue, if it makes you happy.
Again, I'll repeat my initial idea, since it seems you didn't really get it. I'll go slow this time, so you can understand: on your website you bitch about pretty much every game in the market. Yes, a lot of those games deserve it (the last few years haven't been very kind to the genre, in my personal opinion), but it almost seems you like to diss people and their games just because it makes you "cool". All positive remarks I've seen are either about Diablo, Fate, Hellgate: Londond (yep, non-linear), ...
All I said was that this game will surely be a masterpiece (I don't expect anything else), since from your comments at your website you clearly know what's wrong with the genre, so you won't make any of the mistakes of people like Troika, Bioware, Bethesda, ...
I mean, according to you all these people don't know how to make a good RPG, so I'm sure you will show the RPG community what a real RPG is like.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:37 pm

VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
Originally posted by VDweller
In my opinion, yes. What would you call a person who'd review Quake, for example, and call it an isometric, turn-based game, posting for other people to see and form opinions based on such a review?

Misinformed, maybe ignorant (at least when it comes to videogames), not retard.

Well, that's your opinion and I can respect that. In my opinion though, words like misinformed and ignorant apply to casual gamers and posters, people who call themselves game reviewers should be able to understand at least the basics of the genre.

quote:
I'll go slow this time, so you can understand: on your website you bitch about pretty much every game in the market. Yes, a lot of those games deserve it (the last few years haven't been very kind to the genre, in my personal opinion), but it almost seems you like to diss people and their games just because it makes you "cool". All positive remarks I've seen are either about Diablo, Fate, Hellgate: Londond (yep, non-linear), ...
All I said was that this game will surely be a masterpiece (I don't expect anything else), since from your comments at your website you clearly know what's wrong with the genre, so you won't make any of the mistakes of people like Troika, Bioware, Bethesda, ...

Ok, just to clear up some misconceptions, the Codex is NOT a Diablo fansite. We prefer isometric turn-based games, but we enjoy other games too. The Codex was always a strong if not the strongest supporter of Troika, and the demise of the company wasn't celebrated. We do zing Bio every now and then for all that hype and shallow role-playing, and as for Bethesda, well, taking the Fallout license from Troika and talking about first-person Fallout didn't increase their popularity.

Most people there don't care about Hellgate or Fate, and Diablo 2 gets mentioned sometimes for the decent skill trees. Games that are well liked and promoted at the Codex are indie games like the Spiderweb stuff, Prelude, EVN, and many rogue-likes. Fallout, Arcanum, Darklands are obviously liked as classics. Some people like Daggerfall, some liked the KOTOR games, some liked the BG series, etc.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:13 pm
Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No no no VDweller, we ALL like Hellgate because ONE member of admin is particularly enamoured of the concept.
And we ALL like Fate because ONE member of admin was particularly enamoured of the game.

Holy geezus and jumping jehosaphat - you know each individual speaks for our ENTIRE hivemind!

By the same logic, ALL RPGDot posters (including us) are annoying fucktards with double standards.
It makes sense.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Sol Invictus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
[
* Pete Hines of Bethesda(Well, Exitium thinks so and I'm padding the list)

Where the heck did that come from? If anything, I was defending Pete Hines from VD's comment that he was "full of shit".

Administrator
RPG Codex - www.rpgcodex.com
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:56 pm
XP

quote:
Originally posted by Shagnak
No no no VDweller, we ALL like Hellgate because ONE member of admin is particularly enamoured of the concept.
And we ALL like Fate because ONE member of admin was particularly enamoured of the game.

Holy geezus and jumping jehosaphat - you know each individual speaks for our ENTIRE hivemind!

By the same logic, ALL RPGDot posters (including us) are annoying fucktards with double standards.
It makes sense.

I see you still haven't figured it out that all my comments were about the staff from the RPGCodex website, not the forum. Someone on a forum calling another a retard wouldn't surprise me, but when a member of the staff of a website labels a reviewer from another website a retard I think it's quite low.

Why the hell do you keep making this a global insult to the people from the Codex forum? Did I mention the forum at any time, besides pointing that someome had the need to post on your forum about this thread?
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:14 am

It's funny how RPGCodex is obsessed with Cleve Blakemore and going on about how they won't look at his game if it ever comes out (which is doubtful at best) but then come here and bitch and whine about how people won't give AoD a chance because of the asisine behavior of RPGCodex in general and VD in particular. The fact of the matter is that almost nobody knows who Cleve Blakemore is and a lot of people would give his game a try based on his claims of Wizardry involvement. On the other hand, people will hear about RPGCodex's involvement in AoD (and that's its only claim to fame and pretty much the only people interested in a game like this have probably heard of RPGCodex) and VD especially and immediately hate it sight unseen.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:41 am

Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's not true.
Cleve Blakemore has a higher profile in the gaming world than Vault Dweller. Cleve has a Derek Smart-ish level of noteriety that has entered into game sites, game magazines, and (esp) usenet. Do a search.

AS for "RPGCodex" involvement in VD's game - he is the only RPGCodex staff member I know of that is working on this game. We just give him constructive feedback like any forum would that he posts screenies and the like on.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:47 am
Sol Invictus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Please don't compare Derek Smart to that Nazi. Derek Smart's completed several games, while Eichmann's still working on something he started 11 years ago.

" In any case to get down to it, the only superhuman thing about Cleve is his ego. We found our mediocre abilities to be more than match for his coding wizardry. "
- from former co-workers

Administrator
RPG Codex - www.rpgcodex.com
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:56 am
Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by XP
I see you still haven't figured it out that all my comments were about the staff from the RPGCodex website, not the forum.

Yes, you say that...but then you couch your dispersions in terms that can be taken much more generally. When you mention the Codex, you are talking about the wider group of people that have a stake in it.
Even without this, you are taking the acts of individual staff members and contributing it to all of them (and believe me, the staff don't agree on quite a few things! ), as though they were some hive-mind with 100% shared opinions.

I stand by my criticism of your stance.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:56 am

quote:
Originally posted by Shagnak
quote:
Originally posted by XP
I see you still haven't figured it out that all my comments were about the staff from the RPGCodex website, not the forum.

Yes, you say that...but then you couch your dispersions in terms that can be taken much more generally. When you mention the Codex, you are talking about the wider group of people that have a stake in it.
Even without this, you are taking the acts of individual staff members and contributing it to all of them (and believe me, the staff don't agree on quite a few things! ), as though they were some hive-mind with 100% shared opinions.

I stand by my criticism of your stance.

Shagnak, you are a pathetic, comical lap dog. "The wider group of people that have a stake in it" LOL! Get a life ASAP.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:08 am

quote:
Originally posted by Sol Invictus
quote:
[
* Pete Hines of Bethesda(Well, Exitium thinks so and I'm padding the list)

Where the heck did that come from? If anything, I was defending Pete Hines from VD's comment that he was "full of shit".

Yes, and that was exactly what Spazmo was saying.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:12 am

Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Shagnak, you are a pathetic, comical lap dog. "The wider group of people that have a stake in it" LOL! Get a life ASAP.

Haha, yeah, the consequences of trying to sound reasonable...I'm trying dammit!

Anyway, you are an annoying fucktard with some sort of crusade complex.

Oh well, at least some RPGDot people seemed interested.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:13 am
VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
On the other hand, people will hear about RPGCodex's involvement in AoD

There is no involvement. I have never even mentioned AoD in news post. I did ask for a forum for discussions but that hardly qualifies as involvement. The Codex support indie games and host several indie forums.

quote:
...and VD especially and immediately hate it sight unseen.

What-fucking-ever. If I cared about idiots trashing my game because they have a problem with me, I would have used a different name.

quote:
It's funny how RPGCodex is obsessed with Cleve Blakemore and going on about how they won't look at his game if it ever comes out

Obsessed? 4 news posts, only 2 in 2005, out of 3,000+ news posts. Yeah, Grimoire is all we talk about.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:04 am

Only one member of the Codex's staff gets wood from bashing Cleve Blakemore. And he just happens to be the attention whore teen amongst them.
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:45 am

Rhomal

This thread is quite entertaining to say the least.

Just a few observations.

a. RPGDot has always treated me, my site and the CRPG genere with resepct IMO. And I give them kudos for that when I can.

b. I wish RPGCodex good luck with their game. Seems like a cliche, uninspired setting but it may be a surprised when is all said and done. But I am not holding my breath is my initial gut impression.

c. My overall impression of the staff/site of RPGCodex is, without candy coating anything, a bunch of ass clowns. You seem to pride yourself in ripping apart anything and everything that does not fit into your near little compact world of 'good' and 'bad'. At least in browsing this thread (granted I did not read all of it) no one from codex tried to say the site was fair, impartial and little more then a web tabloid. So I give you props for not trying to say you are more then the impression you give or the reality of what the site is.

My 2 coppers

Rhomal
Admin of NWN 2 News
www.nwn2news.net
Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next