Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel killed Fallout 3
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel killed Fallout 3

Two Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel articles by <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com" target="_blank">Gamebanshee</a> sparked some discussion at No Mutants Allowed in <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3805" target="_blank">this thread</a> among others with Ex-Black Isle developers Damien "Puuk" Foletto and later John Deilley stopping by with interesting comments on the accusation of a lack of consultation on Fallout lore by the F:BoS team.
<br>
<br>More importantly, RPGCodex/Duck and Cover staffer St Proverbius responded to a post that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was partly responsible for the cancellation of Fallout 3 with this:<blockquote><em>Partly? It's entirely the reason they cancelled Fallout 3. The excuse Darth Molitor gave was that Fallout 3 probably wouldn't be completed on schedule. One big reason it might not make it on that schedule is because Darth Molitor kept pulling people off Fallout 3 to work on Fallout Enforcer: Brothelhood of Steel.</em></blockquote>Resulting in this response from Damien "Puuk" Foletto:<blockquote><em>Damn straight. I'll 100% confirm this.</em></blockquote>There you go. "Darth Molitor" is a reference to Interplay's Vice President of Production, Jim Molitor. Follow the link to read whole threat (be warned - no punches are pulled).
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:23 pm

quote:
FOBOS is a piece
of shit slap in the face, I'm on board with that -
secretly, of course. The powers that be have been
cannabalising the Van Buren team to put more resources on
FOBOS2 (it's a rash you just can't wash away). We are
short an animator, a core logic AI programmer, a
designer , and a concept
artist (all people moved from VB to FOBOS2).

I got this from Interplay people a few days before the demo presentation. They tried to sabotage it, so Jim could scrap the game without a fuss. The demo was too good, so things were shaky for a while, but then Jim just had to do it his way.

What a waste. I`m off to other things, keep up the good work

B. from you know where Dhruin
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:36 pm

Chrisbeddeos

That is exteremely interesting.And it is an outrage also.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:07 am

Garrett

If BIS would have made more great RPGs after Fallout/PST *THEMSELVES* (frankly speaking, as good as it was, IWD2 was nothing spectacular anymore, and I won't rant about Lionheart (which wasn't developed by them anyway) again...now, TORN & Fallout 3 have been cancelled halfway), they sure would still be in a strong position. But the best games after Fallout/PST came from Bioware anyway, and after their split, BIS didn't deliver anything great. The Fallout team left to Troika, Guido Henkel left, and everybody else left for inXile or Obsidian or takes a break.

We now have three great or at least promising companies for RPGs somehow emerged from BIS: Troika, inXile & Obsidian, so let's not lament over BIS anymore ...let them make their console games or stop business. We will enjoy other new companies and always will remember BIS as a great company next to Origin, NWC, SirTech, Looking Glass and others.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:56 am
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
If BIS would have made more great RPGs after Fallout/PST *THEMSELVES* (frankly speaking, as good as it was, IWD2 was nothing spectacular anymore, and I won't rant about Lionheart (which wasn't developed by them anyway) again...now, TORN & Fallout 3 have been cancelled halfway), they sure would still be in a strong position.

Well, don't forgot Baldur's Gate 3, which most people might know as Jefferson was also cancelled through no fault of Black Isle Studios. Interplay did that with some amazing licensing fee non-payment.

Then again, I think the problem was more because they relied way too much on BioWare than anything else. Fallout 2 was the only game they released that was made internally that didn't use some BioWare property.

quote:
But the best games after Fallout/PST came from Bioware anyway, and after their split, BIS didn't deliver anything great.

All ONE of them? The only game that BioWare did after PST was BG2.

quote:
We now have three great or at least promising companies for RPGs somehow emerged from BIS: Troika, inXile & Obsidian, so let's not lament over BIS anymore ...

I thought Tim, Jason, and Leon left and founded Troika before BIS was actually formed.

inXile has yet to release anything, so they're a big mystery. I'm not so sure that making a PS/2 version of Bard's Tale then releasing a PC version will be that spectacular either. Whatever they do, I don't think there's anyone from BIS that went to inXile.

That said, there's another company that's got a bunch of exBIS people, but they're working on some XBox CRPG and I can't even remember the name of it. Not my cup of tea.

quote:
let them make their console games or stop business.

I'm betting they do both. Interplay'll keep releasing console garbage and go belly up, most likely within the next few months.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:11 pm