Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Patch Update
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Patch Update

<a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/703/703017p1.html" target="_blank">VE3D</a> has a quote from Bethsoft's Pete Hines on the Oblivion patch:<blockquote><em>Basically, we're working on it and trying to get it done. We've found a few additional things we wanted to include and are trying to finish up testing as soon as we can. <br> <br>We'll let folks know as soon as the beta patch is ready.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:39 am

Watch it be like 1MB with a bunch of useless crap being fixed and still crashes etc lol.
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:40 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Watch it be like 1MB with a bunch of useless crap being fixed and still crashes etc lol.

Is it you, Nostradamus?
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:44 am

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
quote:

Is it you, Nostradamus?

God
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:03 am

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Perfect example from hundreds of thousdands of examples you can find on message boards like these why developers/publishers take the internet gaming community with a grain of salt.

They can't win for losing anyway. If Pete Hines announced that they decided that Oblivion was just fine the way it is and no patch would be forthcoming, then there would be the predictable posts in the same sentiment from that which I quoted above chastizing Bethesda that they should come out with a patch.

That they announce a patch is forthcoming, they are ridiculed in a myriad of ways.

After years of observing the attitude of the internet gaming community spiral down the toilet, I'm not surprised. I am however, jarred by how deep and wide the average gamer (as represented by the internet gaming community) has become so jaded, rude, and out-right unreasonable.
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:33 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Please note, it is the comment of an annonymous coward, sorry, I meant guest, NOT a regular member of THIS community!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Bummer, no details
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:36 am
Sherwin

I think the game is fine the way it is. I'm only using the UI mod which I didn't really need but it helps. I'm curious as to what the patch may fix as I haven't ran into many issues yet and I already have over 100 hours into the game.

P.S. I really should join this site as I come here every day for the last couple years to read up on RPG's.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yeah I'm ~80 hours in myself.

There is a memory management issue that crops up occasionally - I'm assuming you've seen several crash on exits? They could stand to add a few additional ingame graphics options including one to address combat outside of an Oblivion Gate - a specular pass disable option on Obv. Gates. Since grass density is such a well known tweak that might be included. Also the game overcaches textures and frequently exceeds 256MG memory (>320MG). A "pcb" command can be used to manage the situation but they should have the option (via ini) to automatically purge unused textures when you hit a loading screen (a door).

Maybe they worked with Emergent on object occlusion? One can only hope
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:12 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

There is also a pretty serious bug that can prevent you from finishing several quests (including the final Thieves guild mission).
What happens is that gates that are opened remotely do just not open when you trigger the opening mechanism. You push a block - nothing happens, you pull a lever - nothing happens.
This bug sometimes fixes itself when you reload the game (you need to exit the game though since just reloading a save doesn't clear the memory). But reloading is not a reliable fix. It's seemingly totally random whether the gates can be opened or not.
A quick way to check whether you're bugged is to activate the gate. When you don't get the on-screen message "This gate is opened remotely" then chances are very high that you're bugged and you might as well reload (or cheat).

BTW, this error has only happened to me in dungeons that are based on the Ayleid(sp?) ruins tileset. Nowhere else.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 am
Sherwin

I haven't run into any of the bugs mentioned but I must say it does take a long time for the game to exit back to my desktop. I have of course had it crash twice in the beginning but in the past 60-70 hours of playing it has never crashed. I've finished most of the quest but I'm saving the thieves guild for most likely last and will keep an eye out for that bug. I do have a process running in the background that sometimes causes oblivion to minimize so I'm stuck on the desktop but a quick task manager switch and I'm back in the game with no problems. I do of course shutdown any processes I know are running in the background and don't need except for this specific one. I don't know maybe I'm just lucky so far.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Thaldar

Other things of possible improvement

I think things like deletion of spells, to be able to retract a drawn bow and hopefully make enchanting and spells cheaper will be included in this patch.
The game does just exit occasionally, posibbly due to a cache overload or something.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 7:17 am

fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

After more than 300 hours in Cyrodiil I've had the game crash to desktop no more than about a dozen times, so thant's not really a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

The only actual bugs I've encountered are:

1) Skill increases not gained by either skill use, reading a book or using a trainer (what's left is quest rewards and the few "obersvation" skill increases) still have to be "earned" afterwards. With rapidly rising skills like Illusion or Acrobatics you hardly notice it but with slow skills like Mercantile it appears your progression has stopped completely.

2) One of the Thieves Guild fences can become unusable if you choose the "wrong" branch of another quest where he is involved (he won't talk to you any more)

3) Bound weapons disappear if you sheathe your weapon and you can't mount a horse with a drawn weapon but if you try to mount a horse with an active bound weapon, there is a chance the weapon will still be visible and drawn when you dismount only it isn't there as far as the game is concerned so you can't use it nor can you change to another weapon ... and shortly thereafter the game crashes.

All 3 problems should be addressed in the patch and I really haven't encountered any other bugs besides those.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:59 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

*low growl*

All the quest fixes and such is necessary and I'm glad for them, but come on here people, give us some more interface options! A smaller ui option, a bigger map, and hotkey reconfiguration options, etc. I dont want a zillion mods running, and editing files and all that arcana should not be necessary with a game of this lineage, this is basic stuff here that any game dev in the year 2006 should consider. Pisses me off
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat May 06, 2006 4:41 pm