Knights of the Old Republic Release Date
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Knights of the Old Republic Release Date

I just read that Star Wars:KoTOR is being released on October 31st! Unfortunately I also just read that you need a minimum 1GHz to run it and my old computer is a 750 . Though I DO have a snazzy graphics card so MAYBE it would work...... Or I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can afford a new computer!

It certainly seems to be a time for great new games at the moment - still considering buying Greyhawk, Call of Duty is out soon as is Championship Manager 03/04 - and I've just got Arcanum for £5 on Ebay!!! Now, if only I didn't have a job and could devote myself fully to playing computer games .
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:02 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

This is a good news! I certainly will be reading reviews and most likely will buy the game. I'm a bit tired of Star Wars universe, but I cannot miss another RPG from BioWare.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:06 pm
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think there are words to describe how excited I am! I can't wait to play it. Yet I am going to have to face the ultimate will power test. I'm going to wait till I get my new PC - then when I play it it will look lovely and shiny . Only 2 months to go.....
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:13 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

As far as I know there hasn't been a release date set - the dates I have seen are November 18 and later.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:30 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

This will be my late birthday present to me! =D
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:44 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I can't find any info as to the minimum specs ANYWHERE!! You may be mistaken.

Wait, I found the minimum system requirements. You were right. The minimum specs are as follows:
1ghz CPU
128mb RAM (256 for XP)
32mb 3D card

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:09 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

those requirements are high, and i expect a lot of peope have been caught out... but, if you look at things a 1gig processor isnt really that great anymore, and the majority of ppl have at least a 1.4 upwards.

But i read somewhere, these increasing system requirements is to so degree due to the way the games are made these days... In a rush, coding which would take longer but gengerally make games run faster and more stable is ignored, instead a faster programming techniques are used for speed of development, at the sacrifice of the min specs required to play...
that also explains the lack of content and thought in a lot of games out these days.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:28 pm
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

The game is definitely not comming out on 31st of October. In fact, I am kind of doubting that it will be out by 18th of November. I seriously hope that won't be the case, but the publisher would have release a press statement stating the release date of the game when the game goes gold. And from there, it take about 1-2 weeks to get to the stores.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:47 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Damn! The games on my wish list now include Silent Hill 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Final Fantasy XI, Gothic 2, Uru, Deus Ex 2, and Curse: The Eye of Isis. Time to get another job!
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:16 am
Larinson
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Monday 27th October 2003

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC HITS PC

New screens from the Star Wars game we're all desperate to play (aside from those of us who've already got it on Xbox, natch)

15:22 Yet more Jedi-based magnificence today as we bring you the latest screens from LucasArts' Star Wars-themed RPG, Knights of the Old Republic.
The title has already received rave reviews on Xbox, perhaps not least because of the option to lop your companions' heads off with a lightsaber should their constant wittering begin to annoy you. Being a Jedi isn't all levitation and furry animals you know.

Perhaps a little oddly, KOTOR's story takes place 4000 years before the events of the classic original trilogy and the money-spinning if artistically compromised set of prequels. None of your old favourites, in other words, but no Jar Jar either.

But this does mean no baggage, so developer Bioware can throw pretty much any intergalactic curveballs it fancies in your direction without having to worry about messing with the continuity of the series of movies.

Whatever the setting, there's still a wretched hive of scum and villainy to contend with here, plus content over and above that found in the Xbox version - exactly what we were hoping for.

Knights of the Old Republic is released for PC on 31 October.

I'm just repeating what appeared here at http://www.pczone.co.uk . Do a search for Knights of the Old Republic and then read the latest article.

I doubt it will be out then, though seems strange they would actually say it is out then............
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Dhruin

We understand - but it still won't happen.

The simple reality is that in most cases there never is a firm release date in the first place. There are targets that are invariably missed - and new targets set. Retailers often pull dates out of thin air - a guess, an article on the web, a rumour, a date the publisher hopes for but isn't met. PCZone sees one of these dates and reports it. Or perhaps it was the last "official" date but hasn't been updated as the date approaches and it's clear it won't be met.

Some companies delay the Gold announcement (never really understood why) but Bioware don't have a history of doing this. They're also very good at promotion and the hype for the PC version hasn't quite hit fever-pitch, yet.

As cwey said, they'll be struggling to make Nov 18. The distribution time can vary but 2 weeks is probably average - it'll have to go gold real soon...
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:11 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

hm.. if those are the requirements, i can play the run very smooth.

but i want to know, in all magazines, it sais that KotoR is realeased by now (in the Netherlands) but i can't find it anywhere... if there are dutch people here, please tell me when this game really comes out in the netherlands...
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:29 am
Dhruin

The point I tried to make in the post above is - we don't really know when it's going to be released anywhere. Bioware has not given a firm date to my knowledge and as cwey pointed out, Nov 18 (EBGame's and others date) is looking precarious.

Never trust a print magazine for dates.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:39 pm
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

The place to check for release date and stuff is here:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/index.html

or

http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic/

Trust me, when the game has gone gold and they decided to announce the release date, they will be proclaiming it on these 2 sites. Other than that, release date from other sources are not to be trusted. They are mostly just estimates.
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:31 am