Usergroups
Wouldn't it be awesome if...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'll go and play my SP games - problem is, there are rarely a good RPG out there at the moment.. at least not new ones! Therefore PB, and Gothic, is a blessing to me, and all the others, who are bored with MP.. making a Gothic MP would take a loooooong time, and a lot of resources, to make, and I prefer a Gothic III, instead of a Gothic MP..
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:16 am
Srchbayne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
I'll go and play my SP games - problem is, there are rarely a good RPG out there at the moment.. at least not new ones! Therefore PB, and Gothic, is a blessing to me, and all the others, who are bored with MP.. making a Gothic MP would take a loooooong time, and a lot of resources, to make, and I prefer a Gothic III, instead of a Gothic MP..

I AGREE!!!
@HWFanatiC: Ako mogu oni na svedskom mozemo i mi na srpskom!!!
MI CIGANI SVI UME_MO KO NE_SLUSA DA BIJEMO!!!
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:00 am
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I guess you're allowed to have your preference... and I'm glad you finally agree with me so we can end this debate. I knew eventually you guys would see that a MP Gothic game would be awesome... just took a little explaining.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:00 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Taerdin
I highly doubt that in medieval times people went around going your momma this and your momma that... but sure whatever you say... and who's to say "l33t speak" wasn't around in medival times?

They may not have said "your momma", but they could have said "your mother" ("eower modor" if you want to use Old English).

quote:
and who's to say "l33t speak" wasn't around in medival times?

Anyone who has actually studied languages.

quote:
Are you 800 years old or something?

No, I'm 24.

quote:
Also in medival times I don't think that people use the word "pussy"

I never heard that word used in the game.

quote:
And besides who says the game takes place in medival times?

Ever wonder why the game is called "Gothic"? It's a traditional fantasy setting complete with orcs and wizards.

quote:
That's why they put NPCs in MMORPGs... yeah... so I don't know what you're complaining about. I would roleplay and I'm sure many others would do the same... so really this isn't very valid.

I'm not talking about NPCs breaking character. I'm taking about players breaking character. The illusion that you are in a magical fantasy world is not maintained when someone decides to start chattering about having to take their car into the shop.

quote:
I think a gothic game with a teletubby as the main character would still be fun... because that's just how well made the game actually is...

No matter how well made a game is, I would never want my avatar to be a teletubby.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:37 am
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Val

They may not have said "your momma", but they could have said "your mother" ("eower modor" if you want to use Old English).

But in the game, Gothic, they say, "Run back to your momma!" not mother, not modor or whatever the hell...

quote:
Originally posted by Val
No, I'm 24.

Good job, I just hope I'm not spending my time arguing about a trivial thing like an MMORPG of one of the best games when I'm 24.

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I never heard that word used in the game.

Try running from diggers, like the ones that attack you when you don't pay Bloodwyn. They'll sometimes say, "Come back here you pussy"

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Ever wonder why the game is called "Gothic"? It's a traditional fantasy setting complete with orcs and wizards.

That's not what I meant, if you cared to read more carefully I'm sure you would've realized I meant ACTUAL medival times... as in that time long ago that actually existed. Not the fantasy realm you speak of. Wizards never existed just so you know, oh and there is no Santa Clause on a related note.

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I'm not talking about NPCs breaking character. I'm taking about players breaking character. The illusion that you are in a magical fantasy world is not maintained when someone decides to start chattering about having to take their car into the shop.

If that ruins the game for you, I guess that's your problem... but if I'm playing with my best friend and he could easily type something to me like, "Can I still come over tonight" I would want him to, instead of calling me... because if he's already in a position in which he can communicate with me (or any other person for that matter) then why would they want to call me or anything else, and tie up my phone line or whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Val
No matter how well made a game is, I would never want my avatar to be a teletubby.

I'm sure that a long long time ago you heard about this thing called, an exaggeration. I was EXAGGERATING! lol... you take people too seriously ya know.

And I hope that everyone realizes now that this has magically transformed into like 8 arguments instead of one... most of which aren't even valid to the initial argument... which is quite weird... but meh... whatever floats your boat.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:34 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
But in the game, Gothic, they say, "Run back to your momma!" not mother, not modor or whatever the hell...

Your point being? It's translated to English from German. A mistake on the part of a translator doesn't give weight to your arguement.

quote:
Good job, I just hope I'm not spending my time arguing about a trivial thing like an MMORPG of one of the best games when I'm 24.

And I hope that when you are 24 you can debate better instead of resorting to idiotic insults and dismissing valid counter view points.

quote:
That's not what I meant, if you cared to read more carefully I'm sure you would've realized I meant ACTUAL medival times... as in that time long ago that actually existed. Not the fantasy realm you speak of.

I did read what you wrote. You suggested that it was an apocalyptic future, not medival times. The game, just like most fantasy, borrows heavily from medival times. You know, that time they used swords and armor?

quote:
Wizards never existed just so you know, oh and there is no Santa Clause on a related note.

That was inappropriate.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Val

If that ruins the game for you, I guess that's your problem...

That was not my point and you know it. My point, was that the realism would be destroyed, thus ruining the feel of the game.

quote:
I'm sure that a long long time ago you heard about this thing called, an exaggeration. I was EXAGGERATING! lol... you take people too seriously ya know.

And you can't argue worth beans.

quote:
And I hope that everyone realizes now that this has magically transformed into like 8 arguments instead of one... most of which aren't even valid to the initial argument... which is quite weird... but meh... whatever floats your boat.

It's turned into what you have made it.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:38 pm
Taerdin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think you're the one who made it into 8 arguments... good job by the way...

I'm not gonna argue further... this is becoming a flame war... and when you get too close to flame.. you tend to get burned...

*leaves*
Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:51 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Post Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:52 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk
Why would we want a gothic with multiplayer anyway?, the NPCs in Gothic have such great AI that they are smarter then the average player anyway

Maybe so that people who have friends can play with them and share the adventure together... besides they still have NPCs in MMORPGs anyhow... just so you know.

Oh and the AI in Gothic is not that of an actual person... believe you me...

Lol, havent checked here in a while, thus the slow reply. Anyway, have you heard of sarcasm?, no offense, but if you think I was serious about my post your "AI" isnt very high.

Other then that, I agree with pretty much 100% of what Val says.
Post Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:04 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

i vote no to more mmorpg's ... i prefer single player and there aren't enough GOOD single player rpg's ... morrowind is the only one of late i can say i really truly enjoyed but it has serious balance issues that detract from the experience for me ... (i have it on xbox so i don't have the ability to use mods for it to fix the balance issues) ...
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:45 am
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

you know what i wish there was? an sp that played like an mmorpg, so you start off, and you have 30 different jobs to choose from, and the story plays out depending on which job you took, weapons maker, or weaver, or mercinary....you know....
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:29 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Personally, I just don't care for MMORPG's, that's why I play SP games. I hope that the good people at PB and other developers keep making them.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:35 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: Wouldn't it be awesome if...

quote:
an MMORPG of Gothic was made? Think about it! You'd join a camp and the other players in your camp could help you out and etc. You could form large hunting groups and kick some major monster but, and then distribute the spoils and etc. You could also form little attack groups to kick some of the other camps' guys arse-teriors! God that would be fun...

Sorry... just a thought...

I'd love it if Gothic was a multiplayer!
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:52 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Normal multiplayer would be one thing, but a MMORPG, no...
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:31 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Ehm,.. who would play "normal" multiplayer?
Gothic is a great game and all, but it isn't as widely spread as other games.. Personally I doubt that there would be enough persons at the same place to start a LAN game anytime.. Maybe in Germany, but still..

On the other hand mmorpg would provide more accessibility, but less interaction.. Don't get me wrong.. The world would be greater, but therefore, the actions of one player wouldn't have as much effect that would have in an lan game, for example..

If you were refering to "normal" internet multiplayer, it would never work, unless it was an mmorpg.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:59 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next