Members
Usergroups
problems running game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
jim_altman

problems running game

i just bought dungeon siege today, and have installed/reinstalled it 3 times already, uninstalling, rebooting, etc between each install. still CANNOT get it to work. installation was flawless, but when i try to run the game, i get an "Application Error" which terminates that program right away.

"The applicatoin failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

has this happened to anyone else? any clues or suggestions on how to fix this?

i have an intel P3 866, 256 mb, geForce2 MX 32mb, SB live. running win2K pro, with directx 8.1, and latest detonator drivers from nvidia.

any help or comment would be appreciated.

-jim
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:01 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

never heard of that. I have seen reports of problems running the game on the official forums. Maybe you should try older detonators - but I am not sure if this will help...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:23 pm
gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

me to

I am having the same problem. I have an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/ 64 mband whenever the tips come up I can hardly read them. I have the lateset detonator and win 2k. I can still play, but it is weird. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:09 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

What motherboard chipsets do you fellows have? If you have VIA chipsets, it may be issues with ACPI. I had the same problem with win2k/via motherboard. Try downloading the newest support files for your motherboard if that is the case. (Although never a bad idea even if that isn't the problem)

-v
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:06 pm
gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

an issue

Boy is it difficult to submit a problem to Microsoft on this game. It is like going to trial. They ask you everything under the sun. I am sure it is more efficient, but I was so tired from that, that I had to stop playing the game.

"Sad but true"
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:24 pm
Thomas74

Hi there jim_altman - (0xc0000006) is my error-code!

I just got to run the game a few times, but after removing my fawlty floppy-drive, the game has refused everything, from autorun to showing the icon of the CD.
The game installs nicely(and runs, too) on all other computers its been tested on.
Any ideas?
Oh yeah: I'm running an AMD XP1600, Soltek SL-75DRV, 256MB-DDR, Geforce3 TI500, WinXP, if that helps...

I really liked this game, and would like to see it run again...
-Thomas
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:39 am

vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Do you have another cd-rom device to try installing from? It sounds as if this may be part of the issue.

-v
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:10 am
Thomas74

Been there, done that!

I've got 2 cdrom-drives, tried both, same result.
One is a DVD-rom the other a CD-R-RW.

-Thomas
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:07 pm

Thomas74

Well.........

Apparently it's a general thing... non of my cds can 'autorun'.
DMA is activated
...eh...
Help
-Thomas
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:51 pm

vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

How comfortable are you with popping open your case and fiddling with things? I would check the IDE cables for your drives, and the slave/master settings. Then check in your BIOS and make sure everything is fine. Do you have a computer on the network that you can network mount their CD drive?

-v
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:12 pm
Thomas74

Thanx for the help so far...

I just loaded 'optimized defaults' in the bios, same result, then I formated the harddrive, reinstalled everything, no change. Oh yeah, the cd-drives are 'jumped' right, and cables mounted correctly. Next thing... I'll update the bios to ver. K4.1 (current ver. K4) and if that doesn't work I'll downgrade the fucker to K3.5(if I can find it). But all that wil have to wait 'till tomorrow.

-Thomas
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:01 am

Count me in, I am also having the same problem. I have a Geforce GTS running W2K, Athlon XP1600, KT133A. All my other games works flawlessly. At first, I was able to play just fine until I exited the game, there's where I got the first BSOD. It said something about the display driver. Tried again at a later time, same problem every time. Downloaded the latest video driver, this time I got a black screen instead.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:28 am

Thomas74

Damn, sorry if I wasted anyones time on this...

I just found the problem: I'd tried to organize the cables 'n wires in my computer with a couble of rubberbands, and doing so, i'd manage to generate electromagnetisme around the secondary IDE-cable, and thereby 'poluting'(as we say around here) the signals to and from the CD-ROMs.
So everybody: Check your IDE-cables, make sure there not tied up, 'cause that might be the reason for different instabillity-problems.

Again: sorry if I wasted anyones time on this...
Well back to the game...

-Thomas
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:59 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hi Thomas74,

I am gald that you solved your problem . Enjoy game.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:03 am