Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Please post framerate and machine specs here.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
OldScho0l74
Village Leader
Village Leader

Please post framerate and machine specs here.

First let me start by saying, GREAT GAME!

ALL FRAMERATES WHERE AQUIRED WITH FRAPS / NO AA or AF

MACHINE # 1

Windows XP Pro (SP1)
Pentium 4 2.0Ghz 478
512megs 800Mhz RDRAM
Abit TH-7 II Mobo
Creative Audigy X-Gamer
40Gig 7200 RPM ATA 100 HDD
Radeon 9700 Pro
19" ViewSonic Monitor
(ALL LATEST DRIVERS)

1600X1200X32 High settings = 7 - 88 FPS <== my average being around 25 FPS

Lowering the resolution and quality settings does not increase my frame rate. When I get to the area near the beginning that has the pigs and chickens, I get 7 FPS. This is ridiculous considering that the minimum requirements.

Now for machine 2

Windows XP Pro (pre-SP1)
Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz 423
384Megs 800Mhz RDRAM
Creative SBlive!
30Gig WD 7200RPM ATA100 HDD
Abit TH-7 RAID Mobo
Nvidia Geforce3 Ti 500
17" NEC Monitor

1280X1024X32 HIGH SETTINGS = 5-75 FPS / AVERAGE FPS = 25

I don't get any stuttering but the low frame rate makes it hard to see what’s going on while I'm moving. It also gives me a headache.
Also, I noticed that my character will run extremely fast when I get into a tight area where my frame rate goes above 45 or so, then the speed and frame rate drops back down when I get back into a bigger room.
I have much more detail intensive games that give me 100 FPS +. Examples: Battlefield 1942, Tribes 2, GTA III, (Morrowind not quite 100+), UT2003,.....

Anyhow, suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanx
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:05 am
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

errrrr.....

How did you turn on FPS in the game? I'd be glad to post my framerates. Lemme just say tho, I have not had a point YET that slowed my framerate, it's been smooth as silk even with lots of enemies/people/critters. I'm only running it at 800x600x32 though, so that probly makes a BIG difference. I'm a bit puzzled, both machine specs you posted are pretty powerful, I wouldn't expect the framerate to fall below 30 fps EVER. Anyway, lemme know how to turn on FPS in the game, and I'll let you know what i get!
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:42 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Same here

I'm getting about the same thing, i notice in places like the city of Arx espically it seems as though the view gets a little jerkish.
running at 800x600x32bit, tried lower and it still does it

specs:
P4 1.6a @ 2.1ghz
Geforce 4 ti4600
Sb audigy

I get a good 50fps or so in the caves, etc but as soon as i get in a city type place, like the part you mentioned with the chickens or arx or somewhere the fps can have sudden drops to like 7fps then back up to like the 20-30'ish fps, bump mapping i've tried and having on/off makes no difference. Eax on or off doesn't make a difference either.
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:09 pm
OldScho0l74
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re-Framerate

To see your framerate, download and install FRAPS. You can get it from http://www.fraps.com/

Stiler, You described my problem exactly. Drops to 7 then goes back to 25ish. I remember playing the demo at 85+ frames per second and that was on machine # 2.
The Jowood forums also list a issue similar to this problem. It talks more about the screen freezing when killing rats. That's another issue though and I care more about the low framerate. Stiler and I have plenty of horse power for this game.
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:39 am
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

I wonder...

Are you guys basing your findings on this Fraps proggie? Because it was inaccurate for me. It reported my top framerate at 60, which I cannot confirm nor deny, but I strongly suspect is incorrect, and my lowest framerate at 1, which I can attest with my own two eyes is incorrect. I would guess that my framerate never dropped below 12, so I'm wondering if maybe this Fraps program is getting bugged by the game in its current state? I mean, are you SEEING really bad slowdown? I'm playing on a laptop (Mobile CPU 2.0 Ghz, 512 Meg ram, GeforceGo 440) and I'm not seeing any slowdown worth speaking of.
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:35 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Its very noticeable for me, the way the camera seems jerky , espically if you whip it around fast you can tell it. I also have that "step forward" thing, it happens when you open/close teh map too, just open the map, then close it and go to step foward, it seems as though he jumps forward.
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:01 am