Spyware In Your Next PC Game (or "Attack of the Demogra
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Spyware In Your Next PC Game (or "Attack of the Demogra

The somewhat inconspicuously (and humorously) named RedAssedBaboon website has this rather alarming <a href="http://www.redassedbaboon.com/index.cfm?show=blog#216" target="_blank">Blog</a> re two companies - Massive, Inc. and inGame - that are working with Game Developers to stick their code into a game, thus enabling it to communicate with an ad server... <br> <br><blockquote><em>Online gaming is about to be invaded by shrewd, demographic-sensing adbots that will plug branded images into the games you play. <br> <br>Both Massive Inc. and inGame work by getting developers to stick a piece of code into a game, enabling it to communicate with an ad server which will plug branded images and ad messages into games, real time, according to Media Daily News. Both companies say they can do this on any platform, be it a console, PC, or mobile phone, it just needs to have an Internet connection. <br> <br>The ads will be demographic and geographic sensative which could mean that one person playing a game would see a BMW and another would see a Ford. <br> <br>Massive first announced their intentions at E3 and say they play to launch their system this week, having already signed deals with Vivendi, Ubisoft, Konami and Atari. Massive says they will have their software built into the new Splinter Cell by next year. They won't talk about other titles that may include what is essentially spyware. <br></em></blockquote>
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:14 pm
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Or....

Or you'll see a white space with "Action canceled" in your favorite online game. If you make good use of the HOSTS file.

On the other hand, if 3rd party is giving money (probably for each game in which this ad system would be included)... does it mean that the games will become cheaper for end users? Or the monthly subscriptions would go down? Naaahhh... long live capitalism
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:18 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I'm a big fan of Pepsi. I'm really hoping that I see billboards for Pepsi as I run through Norath. If I see a billboard for Coke it's going to upset me. So I hope the marketers pigeon-hole me correctly. /sigh
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:21 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Quite frankly - my personal take on putting "spyware" by developers into my beloved RPG games (or any game, for that matter) is as follows:

(1) I am, and have always been, as protective of my personal privacy online as much as possible - and I personally detest spyware in any form.

(2) The greatest enjoyment of RPG games is the ability to totally immerse yourself into your character's mode, development, and actions whilst progressing throughout a given game. I cannot concieve how I could possibly immerse myself in a game that continually flashes (unwanted) advertisements across my gaming screen...i.e. imagine I'm about to configure my moves to defeat the evil purple dragon and rescue the scantily clad princess when - all of a sudden - the latest Pepsi ad floats across my screen and into my game...bummer!

(3) If Game Developers are going to put spyware into their games - then I should think it only be fair that the game be offered in two versions: Version One at full price, and with no spyware added; and Version Two with spyware added, and the game priced at half or less price.

(4) In conclusion - while I am also (personally) against warez-hacked games and such - if I am required by gaming developers to pay full price for a game that has their spyware - then I might very well change my opinions about warez-games.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:45 pm
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I would never buy a game with spyware in it, no matter how good the game is and I would also recommend to anyone I talk to not to get any of those games. If it was a game I really wanted and was going to be very good I might just attempt to boycott the game.

EDIT: I forgot to say that if they did that with something like the next elderscrolls game or something else I want that much, I would do everything I could to ruin there company and try to put them out of business.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:27 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by guenthar
I would never buy a game with spyware in it, no matter how good the game is and I would also recommend to anyone I talk to not to get any of those games.

I agree. One of the big perks about playing a good computer or videogame is the absence of commercials.

It will be a sad day in gaming if that changes.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:51 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I think this can enhance a game if its done correctly.

1. The option to disable the feature should be given, or alternatively just display adds without sending any info to the ad server (Be it personal or whatever). Also the previous suggestion of versions sold without the ads is a good idea.

2. The ads need to be in context with the game world. I dont care about seeing an add for a BMW or a new TV show when I am running around in GTA. But if its in the next Elder Scrolls game I am gonna be pretty pissed.

3. The ads need to be non-intrusive. i.e. they should be on an in-game billboard, TV, Radio station etc.

If they follow these three basic rules I think it wouldnt be a bad thing.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:35 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
I think this can enhance a game if its done correctly.

1. The option to disable the feature should be given, or alternatively just display adds without sending any info to the ad server (Be it personal or whatever). Also the previous suggestion of versions sold without the ads is a good idea.

2. The ads need to be in context with the game world. I dont care about seeing an add for a BMW or a new TV show when I am running around in GTA. But if its in the next Elder Scrolls game I am gonna be pretty pissed.

3. The ads need to be non-intrusive. i.e. they should be on an in-game billboard, TV, Radio station etc.

If they follow these three basic rules I think it wouldnt be a bad thing.

You can't give marketers an inch. If you do, they will never be 'responsible' in any of the ways you pointed out.

It already irritates me that movie theatres play about 10 minutes worth of commercials (I'm not talking about move previews, I'm talking about freaking commercials). I don't think that any premium purchase should be advertisement-free.

If I pay 10 bucks for a movie ticket, it isn't right then to have me watch your dumb commercials.

If I pay 50 bucks for a videogame. I don't want to see a damn commercial in it.

If it's a FREE movie or a FREE game, fine, load it up with commercials. But if it's on my dime, keep it out or you won't get my business.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:02 pm
Ubbax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Kristophe
Quite frankly - my personal take on putting "spyware" by developers into my beloved RPG games (or any game, for that matter) is as follows:

Unfortunately few Developers will be in the enviable financial position of being able to refuse a Publisher who requests they include Adware code. This will be especially so as more Publishers climb onboard the Adware bandwagon making their options even fewer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kristophe
(3) If Game Developers are going to put spyware into their games - then I should think it only be fair that the game be offered in two versions: Version One at full price, and with no spyware added; and Version Two with spyware added, and the game priced at half or less price.

I agree with that but a more likely scenario by cash greedy publishers is the following:

Regular release with included Adware for full price;

Collectors Edition featuring Soundtrack CD, Art Book, Collector Figurine, and the ability to disable the 3rd party Adware. All for a modest premium price increase.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:43 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Have movie theaters given you a discount with all the ads you have to sit through in the theater? I've only seen price increases.

Now I'm expected to pay 50 buck for a game, with ads included, that have to be sent from some server. Gee, you think this will slow down frame rates or introduce new bugs. I wonder what statistics will be sent to their servers? How many experience points I've earned and what monsters I prefer to kill.

Let me tell you, I don't go to movie theatres as often as I used to because of the stupid ads. I just rent DVDs and hit the menu button during the previews. They put ads in my games, I'm seeing a good book I've not read in a while.

-Dwango
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:26 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh, one other thing. Nice to put this article up when that horrible pop-up is being thrown in my face on this site. Changing pages with that noisy ad at work is really making me smile.

-Dwango
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:29 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dwango
Oh, one other thing. Nice to put this article up when that horrible pop-up is being thrown in my face on this site. Changing pages with that noisy ad at work is really making me smile.

... But unlike a computer game, videogame, or movie, this site is FREE so one can't really complain about the adds. Well, I guess you CAN complain, but it is without any real merit.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:38 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Only mentioning it becuase it is more intrusive than most of the adds on this site, and most game sites only force such a full page pop-up one time. If I did not click on it the first time, I probably won't the second, or third or fourth.

But it shows how advertising can be annoying if it is in your face. Think of it, playing the next Splinter Cell. Your mission, to infiltrate terrorists occupying the Pepsi headquarters. While there you must gather inforrmtion about thier new top secret terror BMW and read the information on how much smoother it drives. Then you must kill the terrorist, but don't hit the citizens sporting the CK1 Jackets and nice Levi Jeans. Oh, and don't forget to escape to the General Electric building next door from the Joey billboard over to the Miller High Life sign.

-Dwango
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:14 pm
Necrosis
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If they start putting commercials in games, I'll return to reading full time. I am old enough (44) to remember when cable TV first came out. They offered it free for a month in the city in which I grew up to entice you with commercial-free TV and uncut movies. Once they suckered enough people in, the uncut movies went to "premium channels" and commercials were added to the other stations just like broadcast TV. It absolutely blows my mind that people actually pay to watch cut movies and shows with commercials! I have never and will never subscribe to cable TV. And I won't pay for games with commercials, either. Unfortunately, just like cable TV, the "mindless masses" will support such nonsense with their purchases. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:18 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I really don't think this is any big deal. In-game ads (ie billboards within the game, radio ads, television spots, etc.) in games like Deus Ex or Max Payne for example, wouldn't be that big of a deal IMO. They already have billboards with fake ads and Max Payne had radios and televisions all over the place, and I think this is where the ads would be. There were lots of ad placements in Blade Runner, and movies do it all the time now. I don't see 'pop-ups' as being the method for delivering the ads in these games.

Now in games like KOTOR or Morrowind, Coke ads obviously wouldn't fit the context of the game. However, designers of such games could still put ads on the 'options' screen or flash a few ads during the shutdown of the game, or when the game loads. A designer would be nuts to try and put in-game ads in a game like Morrowind or any other fantasy CRPG. I'm not real keen on the idea of spyware in computer games, but if it means more money for the programmers, writers and artists for games, I would imagine that would translate to a better selection and better titles.

Not that it matters, though, because we all know there will always be people that will do patches to disable this adware anyway.
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:11 pm