Might and Magic X
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Might and Magic X

I've been replaying most of the might and magic series and it got me to thinking: If 3DO sold NWC to another developer/publisher, who would you like to get their hands on the Might and Magic series? I'd love to see NWC team up with Bethesda. I think that MMX could be done using Morrowind's
engine without too much trouble. Morrowind already has alchemy, walking
on water, flying etc., the main problem would be the number of creatures
on screen at one time. I'm not sure, but I think that the Morrowind engine
might crush any pc system if it had to render 30-40 creatures in a small area. Might and Magic has had hordes of creatures to fight as one of its trademarks for quite some time now. I know this is all theoretical, but what do you guys think? Could Morrowind's engine handle MMX or would some other engine suit better? It'd be the first time in a LONG time that a Might
and Magic game had cutting edge graphics. That'd be cool!
Post Fri May 23, 2003 2:41 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think that MM X could be done with Morrowinds engine because of obvious reasons:

- I don't think Morrowind's engine is designed for multiple human controlled characters.

- Let's face it, Morrowind's combat engine sucks

- Performance problems.

There are many other reasons but I can't think of anything right now.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 11:09 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I think the Dungeon Seige engine might be a reasonable alternative. Hated the 'game', loved the graphics.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat May 24, 2003 2:52 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
I think the Dungeon Seige engine might be a reasonable alternative. Hated the 'game', loved the graphics.

Corwin, does Dungeon Siege support multiple characters? I never got
around to playing that game, I admit. I emailed a friend at Bethesda
and he suggested that Neverwinter Nights engine might be the most
suitable. His quote was, "While the Morrowind engine would make a more convincing M&M game, the game mechanics could probably be replicated in such a way that has lower system requirements using Neverwinter Nights."

What do you guys think? Could the NWN engine be used effectively? I wish
Jon Van Caneghem would give Heroes a rest and get deeply involved in the Might and Magic series again.
Post Tue May 27, 2003 7:22 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

How tough is it...

...come up with a good 3d engine for overland travel, have a 'paper doll' with a point and click inventory, ummm JUST LIKE 6 through 8.

Just make it look and play better. The stupidest thing New World did was release Crusaders of Might and Magic, that other crummy multiplayer action game based on the Might and Magic franchise that was in the bargain bin before I could blink my eyes, and using the pathetic Lithtech engine to create a completely non-interactive environment for Might and magic IX. I would rather they release windows versions of the first 4 games for crying out loud.

I just tear my hair out to see people like Jon Van Canegam and Richard Garriot spend 20 years builing a franchise only to get too lazy and let their legacy get dragged through the mud.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:02 am