Members
Usergroups
MW world size
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mecca

MW world size

Is there anything else besides the main map you see when you start the game? I was expecting something REALLY HUGE but the world seems just about 4 times bigger than Gothic which took me three days to finish...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:42 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm pretty sure that is..and trust me it's bigger than it looks..once you start getting involved you will see that..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:10 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I solved Gothic in one week, playing day & nights. Then I explored everything, and at 4-5 days I had only the main quest left to go.

I have played Morrowind in 4-5 days now, and explored about 10-15% of the world, and there are hundreds of NPC's I have encountered but not had time to talk to, and probably alot of quests that I havnt played =)

Morrowind force you to choose who to talk to and not, where to go and not. It is simply to big to see it all with one character.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:25 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I played the press beta - and in order to not spoil my fun with the full version (which arrived yesterday ), I limited myself to the area between Seyda Neen and Balmorra. Believe it or not, I spent 2 real life weeks there, and I didn't get bored, even though I didn't enter every Dungeon I found. Now this region is about 5% of the game world - so imagine how much content there is on the island.

Don't fear the gameworld would be small. It is huge.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:28 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

For the love of god, PLEASE Stop comparing this to Gothic. Sjeesh.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:41 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Mephisto:

Gothic and Morrowind are very easy to compare, since they are both open-ended, very interactive, watched from behind (tomb-raider style), and have a major load of sects/houses/camps that struggles against eachother. The sun goes up and down, and sometime it rains.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:04 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, I also think it is good idea to compare Gothic and MW.
We can see that MW has weaknesses that Gothic had not even though that MW is very famous, well known projetc, that Gothic wasnt. On other hand there is a lot of things that Morrowind has and Gothic not.
Biggest thing for me is freedom. I think MW is about freedom, Gothic not.
You play Gothic in prison (feel of not freedom is right here), but MW you play as released prisoner...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:19 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Funny when you mention it...
Even if you are not 'free' in Gothic, you still have the option to go wherever you want without anything stopping you. So gamewise you are 'free' in both games, but storywise, youre not free in Gothic =o)

It was the 'do what youd like' thing that I enjoyed to so much about Gothic, Fallout 2 and Morrowind.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:25 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Strongely disagree, sorry. MW is 100% freedom, Gothic is not. Yes, you can walk whereever you want, but that gives it the kind of freedom seen in game like MM6-9, BG etc. I dont compare games because they look alike. The gameply is WILDLY different, and comparing them is complete nonsense IMHO. Yeah it rains there. But it rains in Need for Speed too, and that is 1st person as well, and you can drive on every part of the road, and your stats increase as well.

Gothic was fun, but cant even stand in the shadows of MW. And really, those NPCs LOOKED like they did anything, but in fact they didnt. I find MW much more immersive, but that is once again just MHO.

They both are good games, on their own. And they both have a great fangroup. But they are not comparable.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:49 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Ok, screw the facts that both looks the exact same then:

Storywise:
You start with no background for your character, except the fact that he will be the one that saves the world as usual. It is up to you if youre good/evil, and what you are going to do with your life.
To get respect and learn about the story, you have to talk to alot of NPC's and earn their trust/respect. You join different groups to earn more respect and progress in your quest. At the time you start to progress in the group you joined, the main plot will start to be more and more obvious.
You are still able to ignore the main plot and explore the world. Even if I have not solved Morrowind yet, it seems like the main plot involves the exact same thing (not going in on that in case someone dont want to be spoiled).

Gamewise:
You can pick up most objects around you, and sell/use them. There are no locked doors, and you may go wherever you want, without reasons to go there.
The producers does not think for you, you do as you wish in their engine. You can swim in both (rather unique in a RPG), both are depending on both your characters skill and your own (actionstyle).

To talk up for gothic, Gothic's world is alot more interactive. Even if you can pick up anything in Morrowind, you cannot use any of larger objects you encounter. Your character is also alot more 'frozen'. You cannot sit down, you cannot jump up on a wall, grab the edge, and pull yourself up. NPC's have generally nothing to say, and even thoose that do have no personality, just give you information. You dont learn to hate/like people in Morrowind.

Morrowind, on the other hand, have alot more of possibilities when it comes to character configuration. Morrowind is alot larger, and allows 'going on your own' alot more. Morrowind is very well planned when it comes to character progression, the way to gain skill is better than many PnP games out there. Morrowind have a major load of more stuff to grab, and all skills/abilities are useful.
I still have my issues with Morrowind (My Monk ended up useless since HtH is underpowered, something that cought me after 5 days of constant playing), but overall, Morrowind is the best RPG ever released, pulling down Gothic to the 2nd place, next to Fallout 2.

I like both, they both have their advantages and disadvantages compared to the other, but they are very much alike IMO.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:21 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

About hand to hand being underpowered: have you tried to wear enchante gloves? I have no idea if this works, but I imagine you could enchant them to do some poison damage on touch or stuff like that?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:59 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Still dont agree. With your reasoning I can compare MW with U9, or Crusaders of MM. In both games it rains, it is both fp, both fantasy, you can talk to all npcs, you enter all doors, you can sit, you can jump on walls and grab the edge, etc.

The point is they are both designed with a completely different goal. Gothic is to have you follow a pre-scripted story and exit the game when you are done. IN MW the main quest isnt so important.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:06 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Rendelius
---------

*VERY EXCITED*

Enchante Gloves???
That sounds like the exact thing I have been searching for and hoped to god existed in the game... (Brass Knuckles, Spiked Gauntlets, like in BG)

You know, I have been playing 6 days stright now, reached Level 20, and 100 in several things, and all this with the devastating feel that I may have to start over becouse of HtH being too weak...

Where do you find thoose? I have been in Balmora and Peligiad, but I havnt seen them around there so far. I guess you are supposed to load them with a soulgem right?

Mephisto
--------

Morrowind just takes one step further on 'freedom', thats all. They are still meant to be open and free. It is a unmapped landscape they are exploring you know, and we are likely to see more 'freedom'based rpg's in the future...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:15 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Small note. I will go away for a couple of days now, but if you have a tip about it I will surely get back to you when I am back.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:16 am
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: MW world size

quote:
Originally posted by Mecca
Is there anything else besides the main map you see when you start the game? I was expecting something REALLY HUGE but the world seems just about 4 times bigger than Gothic which took me three days to finish...

Back to the original posters question/comment...
If you are comparing the world size to the size of the ARROW they place on the map to show where you are, then your WAYYYYYYYY off.

Travel to Vivec and time how long it takes you too see just the doors to every room on every floor-(from top to sewer, each building). I bet it takes longer than walking across the entire Gothic map. That's just 1 city in Morrowind compared to the entire Gothic landmass.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next