Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is the 1st RPG game you've ever played?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Starborn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I believe my first RPG was Bards Tale on the C-64.
As first I would buy any RPG game as soon as it came out. After buying quite a few JUNK games I NOW wait a while and check the reviews in major mags and online before I buy. Thats how I avoided Pool of C*** "oops" "Pool of Radiance" when it came out.
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:52 am
grndbeef
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Played a dungeon crawler on the commodore PET

First title I remember playing was Ultima 111 on the C64.

Man am I old!
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:53 pm
Carpathic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First Video Game

World of Xeen 5. The best CRPG of all time... I had a level 235 Mage named Ryul... (256 was apparently the max I just ran out of money for training)
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:56 pm
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm not realy sure. I think it was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest for the Game Boy
(I think it was called Final Fantasy: Adventure in the US). I remember it as a great game. Later I played Link's Awakening - it was good. To bad I sold my Game Boy and all of my games...wish I haddn't done that now.

On the PC however I used to play a lot of adventure games. All the Lucasarts classics, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max,...but as the adventure genre seemed to be drying out or dying (or Lucasarts just stopped making good games) I felt it was time to change genre.

So, a friend of mine tried to get me to like this "fantastic gem of a game", unfortenely I found it dificult, and I died over and over in the starting dungeon. I think it made me shy realtime games.
The game was The Elder Scrolls: Arena. ...so I just went back too my point-and-click adventure-games. (Later the same friend got me into buying one of it's sequels...Morrowind).

Then, one day in the last days of 1999, I found myself looking over the gameshelves and found this thing called Baldur's Gate. I had played a demo of Diablo some time earlier and had considered buying it - however my sceptesicem for realtime was still there. I did'nt but Diablo, but I ended up going for that "brown box with 5 cd's game".

Man what a game it was back then.

Today having played games like Fallout and Planescape: Torment. Baldur's Gate seems like a simple leightweight adventure with some childish d&d rules thrown in...

Nothing seems to impress me anymore. And I'm still looking for that turn-based rpg that will make me feel the old "Fallout - turn-based" magic.

And so ends the story of my interesst of CRPG's...(I think)

Now I'm playing Alpha Centauri.
(turn-based strategy - the new Grolav-thing)

However...I have been thinking about getting Temple of Elemental Evil...
...could I possibly get hooked on CRPG's again?
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:37 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'll answer in 3 parts:
- For 'action RPG', my friends and I used to play some Gauntlet, but I was already in college and the mega-arcade days had passed for me.
- In the mid-80's, my obsession was 'Castle Wolfenstein', as well as Boulderdash on the Apple ][+. I know I did some of the text adventure games I borrowed, but nothing major, really.
- My wife got me Diablo when it came out, but I played for quite a while and really didn't like it. So I stayed away from anything called 'RPG' at that point.

I was mainly into FPS from '92 to 2003, when I was excited about this upcoming game called Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I was (am) a Star Wars fan, so I decided to give this RPG thing another go. Asking around on the LucasForums, I found that in this game called 'Neverwinter Nights' would be good practice, and was coincidentally coming out very soon, in August 2003 for the Mac, my preferred (but not often used) platform. From NWN, I got the expansions, KotOR, BG2, Gothic ... well, from there I have gotten pretty much anything I can buy.

But my real love of RPG's came at 37 with NWN.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:26 pm
DolanSost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Baldurs Gate
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:28 pm
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

might and magic 6 and then i was hooked. that was the first game i ever played, my son gave it to me as as a xmas present.i was 48 years old at the time. and till playing rpg now.and i'am 54 now.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:11 am
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

My first was Dungeon Master on the Atari ST.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 am
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

For me, the first game I played for any length of time was Might & Magic II on the Amiga. I was addicted to that game. I used to get up an hour before school to get a quick game in. Never finished it though. Was an enormous game. They don't make them like that anymore....
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:51 pm
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias
My first was Dungeon Master on the Atari ST.

Is it the one in which was starting in front of a temple and once you get inside you talk with two clerics? 'Cause I know there was Eye of the beholder that was trading game name between these 2 on different systems and console.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:19 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

baldur's gate. I think, I started with strategy games and then moved to rpg with that game
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:03 pm
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Baldur's gate is a great game but I got bored pretty quick just for the fact that I hate walls in a game and linear storyline. When a game doesn't allow free movement and let you do and go what and where you want I get bored fast.
But I remember the graphics and 3d experience for the time and it was very nice.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm, I seem to be in a minority here.
I was a console-junkie for years (actually, I only got into CRPG's in the past two years, and am only now becoming versed in their depth) beginning with the classic NES; sadly, I never got around to purchasing any of the rpg-ish titles for such, preferring - at the time - the platformers (Mario, anyone?).
However, that changed with the advent of the SNES and the myriad of outstanding games it brought to the table. I was a little late hopping on board the Nintendo train that time, thus, a slue of fantastic titles had been released by the time I purchased the console, and as such, my first true rpg was a Squaresoft Japanese-only release entitled "Rudra no Hihou" (Treasure of the Rudras). Suffice to say, it got me hooked on the turn-based combat style so prevalent in consoles and led to other SNES greats such as Final Fantasy VI/III and V, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III, Bahamut Lagoon, Breath of Fire I and II, Chrono Trigger, Lufia I and II, Treasure Hunter G, Tales of Phantasia, and one of my personal favorites, Star Ocean.
Since then, I've kept up with the console world (keeping close tabs on series like Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, and FF, like a true console-junkie), and even diversified into the handheld world to experience releases such as Sword of Mana and Black Matrix Zero (both for the GBA), but have recently (as noted) made the heady transition to the PC (having become bored with the stale offerings the XBOX had in the rpg genre).
For those who saw my thread requesting aid with demos, it's not difficult to see that I was quickly running through the classics (including most of the D&D-based titles, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Gothic, Heretic/Hexen, and Arx Fatalis), am currently playing through Oblivion, and awaiting the next step forward in rpg innovation (say...Arx Fatalis 2).
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:24 pm
vesselle
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

baldur's gate was my first rpg. i don't even remember how i got it or how i heard of it. i was totally confused as to what was going on, but i had a great time being confused. :p
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:50 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic!!! Which was a mistake, because all other rpg's after that seemed bland and boring. I should of left the best for last.
Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next