RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

You said:

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Most good MMOs have the largest fantasy worlds even concieved. Im saying the "good" ones, not the crappy ones. The good MMOs that ive experienced are DAOC and AC1. Those are the only games ive played for more than 3 months. The rest suck, imho.

P.S. DAOC was a little like UO in regards to PvP, but thats it. It didnt even come close to the level of freedom you have with Non-Combat tasks you could mess around with.

Also as with all 3D MMORPG's, the social interaction sucks. Talking in a text box just destroyes my suspension of disbeleif. It is also horrible to use...
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:34 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

uh, i stand corrected.
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:12 pm
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Also as with all 3D MMORPG's, the social interaction sucks. Talking in a text box just destroyes my suspension of disbeleif. It is also horrible to use...

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the chat is not in a chat box then where would it be? Or are you demanding voice communication?
Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:39 am
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
What will there be in single-player games, especially the CRPG? Nothing, imo. There hasnt been a good singleplayer game since Gothic2, Morrowind, and Baldurs Gate2. The rest just suck. So why should i have hope for a dying genre (single-player CRPGs)? Its about time you get your head out of the ground and buy a GOOD MMORPG, because they are ON THEIR WAY.

Just because some new genre or technology appears doesn't automatically mean that the existing ones will die out. Did books disappear when movies were invented? Did movies die out when TVs became common? Did single player games die out when multiplayer games appeared? I guess you'll also say that single player FPS games is going to die too, since there's now a lot of FPS games that focus only in the multiplayer aspect like BF:1942, or Joint Operations.
Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:01 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Single-player CRPGs arent doing well at all. Yes, things can change, they might not die out, but you cant deny that arent doing very well at all.
Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:04 pm
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Single-player CRPGs arent doing well at all. Yes, things can change, they might not die out, but you cant deny that arent doing very well at all.

Really? Well, from what I see, there's quite a few potentially great single player RPGs in the pipeline, maybe not within this year, but within the next couple of years. KOTOR2 from Obsidian, NWN2 again from Obsidian, Fallout 3 from Bethsoft. Dragon Age from Bioware, the new Bard's Tale from inXile also looks interesting, Dungeon Lords, Gothic 3 is in development, likewise Baldur's Gate 3, and in the Fallout 3 announcement they also mentioned Elderscrolls 4. Those are from the top of my head

So, while there's not a flood of RPGs, there are still quite a few coming out. Yes, they might not equal the amount of FPS games or RTS games, but they're hardly dying out. And I'll take quality over quantity any time.
Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:57 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2