how far do you roleplay?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
However, the thread WAS how far do you roleplay... NOT you suck because you roleplay or we're the only ones getting the point of the game because we roleplay.

You just got my 10 points

quote:
I'm fascinated by how people approach this idea of 'role-playing'. I personally get more fun out of running around knowing I can always reload, taking risks, and exploiting minor exploits (such as quick levelling). And I definitely don't take my char's clothes off before bedtime. The mosquitoes in the Arcadian Isles are vicious, for a start :p

You just got my 11 points out of 10

Anyway,
again I came to the conclusion that such discussions are rather senseless. The truth is out there though
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:42 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think this is a pointless conversation, just a curiousity of how people choose to play an RPG. It might help some who want and idea of a new roleplaying strategy.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:57 pm
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Freakinaye, I did nothing but posting the way I am playing actually and the reasons for that.

Then I got accused of being weird and being a 'bad' roleplayer

That finally made the discusion senseless for me
Post Fri May 24, 2002 3:12 pm

This is the poster of the "stupidiest" post again

I'm just curioues why, if you don't roleplay at all, you would choose to play a game like this rather than something like quake (which is going to test your relexes etc) or, say, chess which would really challenge your mind... I'm assuming you're not a grandmaster or something, please feel free to correct me if you are. Or maybe you would get more out of console RPGs with their heavy emphasis on statistics/character building, combat mechanics and challenging battles.

As for me, I'm not going to roleplay to the extent that I ritually feed/unclothe my character if the game is basically not noticing me doing it. I kind of assume that it happens anyway (like people never take a break to go to the bathroom in a movie).
Post Fri May 24, 2002 3:17 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Posted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:12 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freakinaye, I did nothing but posting the way I am playing actually and the reasons for that.

Then I got accused of being weird and being a 'bad' roleplayer

That finally made the discusion senseless for me

Oh sorry bout that, I didn't know you were getting ragged on. I have no problems with people not wanting to roleplay that much. If someone plays this game and likes it then he is doing what he enjoys so I can't say anything about that.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 3:20 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Well, as you are talking about "why would you play this game if you don't roleplay?"...just understand this game is not realistic on the roleplay level.

No bathrooms, npc's never sleep or eat, character never has to eat, shops never close, npc's always in same locations.

All of these points I mentioned are a good thing. Morrowind is a dumbed-down rpg that is basically nothing but good old action-adventure.

The problem with the old-realistic RPG's are they basically turned into a "quest for food" and turned most "gamer for fun" type people off.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 5:13 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

yep...one thing I hated about everquest is I had to have a whole back pack full of water and food. This game does make it real easy to just go around and kill stuff all day long.

My biggest thing abot this game is I could spend hundreds of hours of gameplay and never start my first main quest mission. Of course when I finally get to it I will be bored due high level but it is real.

=Member of the Worshippers of The Written Word, The Nonflamers' Guild, The RPGdot Warriors, The Philosophers' Circle=

"Don't go away mad...just go away!"
Post Fri May 24, 2002 5:39 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Back to the guy who ridiculed my way of roleplaying:

I try to live the character in the world of Vvardenfell - as much as the game allows me to do that. I sleep once a day because my character gets tired like every natural being. I undress him befor he goes to sleep because I could imagine that sleeping in armor isn't really refreshing. I let him eat bread because he likes a meal as I would like it. I do not run when there is no need to run.

So what's wrong with that?

Yes, it will take me a long time to finish Morrowind this way. No, I am not unemployed. I have a 50 hours a week job as senior copywriter with an ad agency, and in my spare time I run RPGDot together with some cool and nice guys who are RPG freaks like I am.

If you like to play Morrowind like a shooter or a reload orgy - that's fine. Morrowind can be played in a thousand ways. I am not fine with the thought that you make fun of the way how I play it. I think I will slap you with a trout now.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 5:52 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Action - reaction

'Tis truth that the further "in character" be the Lady Shannara, the greater reward MORROWIND doth give me.

Two nights ere, the Lady did find herself in Seyda Neen with an empty purse. Cursed be her honesty! She hath helped so many, been good to everyone and never did appropriate so much as a stray plate. And now her purse was empty so that she did lack the funds for a simple fare out o' towne.

"I shall have to find a way" said she unto me, "I shan't resort to stealing, especially now. My resolve doth be tested and 'twill not be found wanting!"

So the Lady disrobed and did go pearl-diving in the clear waters of the bay that doth be infested with hungry razorfish!

Excited by her finds, Shannara did begin to swin hither and tither 'till she did come across the remains of a sunken ship, on a small island of the Inner Sea. Full of curisosity and viguor, the Lady entered the vessel straight aroint and found therein enough treasure to please a king!

From destitution to riches in one hour.

MORROWIND doth reward good roleplaying with most excellent adventure.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 6:23 pm
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

I ( this time around ) play a staunch Warrior, no silly reagents, no spells... Just Steel and Armour and the DesignPattern of BloodSpatter...

While I have made no serious attempt at finding Magic Items, I have kept one or two low level items, I fumble around with... The original Ring of Healing from the starter Town... and I have used a scroll once in a long While... ( battle my ass into a dungeoun, and wanna skip the respawn exit )...

But no Spells... I am a Warrior... No Theiving... I am an honest pilgrim... Um, and it looks to be FAR TOO EASY...

RolePlaying is what you make it... And the one Guiding Light in all of this... Speaking of Morrowind in general, is that finally the dungeoun master will have his chance again... NWN may ( may ) offer more, but right now I am digging up my old 1981+ 1/4"grid Dungeouns and wondering if I can convert them... I still remember them as fun.. but alas that was sometime ago... maybe one or two will still be fun...

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Sat May 25, 2002 10:58 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Back to the guy who ridiculed my way of roleplaying:

I try to live the character in the world of Vvardenfell - as much as the game allows me to do that. I sleep once a day because my character gets tired like every natural being. I undress him befor he goes to sleep because I could imagine that sleeping in armor isn't really refreshing. I let him eat bread because he likes a meal as I would like it. I do not run when there is no need to run.

So what's wrong with that?

Yes, it will take me a long time to finish Morrowind this way. No, I am not unemployed. I have a 50 hours a week job as senior copywriter with an ad agency, and in my spare time I run RPGDot together with some cool and nice guys who are RPG freaks like I am.

If you like to play Morrowind like a shooter or a reload orgy - that's fine. Morrowind can be played in a thousand ways. I am not fine with the thought that you make fun of the way how I play it. I think I will slap you with a trout now.

AMEN!!

I admit last night I fell asleep after dropping off heavy items like dwemer cogs (at Anhassi's house) in Pelegaid. I slept with that damn morrowind music looping. It had a subliminal effect. I hear those string instruments everywhere I go.

In Evil Islands I spent hours playing "paper doll" with my character at the armor shops. I do that at the enchanters in Morrowind.
Does that mean I'm a little fruity princess if I play dress up? ...probably... but I prefer to be sublime...

Everyone does that... in some way.

Think about this. Why do most of us put up an artificial identification of ourselves when we post(Avatars)? We are roleplaying.

If you all are reading this you are...
NEERDS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Sat May 25, 2002 11:37 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i have ONE problem with morrowind, just one.. if you become a vampire... all you can do is kill and 11 quests, i wish you could beat the game AS a vampire. but get a totally different reaction from people.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sat May 25, 2002 11:44 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Baalcipher

If you all are reading this you are...
NEERDS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damnit!!! Why did you have to make me a nerd?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 25, 2002 11:46 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I finally got around to reading this thread and the one thing about role playing in here that i didn't see anyone doing is not reloading. the only time i relead is when i am starting fresh the next day. If my character dies, he/she dies. period. no matter what level or for what reason, i will not reload them. the only reason i save along the way is fear of the game crashing to the desktop. if it were perfectly stable, i would only save at the end of a session.

there is so much more suspense involved if you realize there is no magic time shift which will enable you to try again. i find there is more attachment to the character you play as well when you realise their life is finite. you spend more time reconsidering entering that battle when you only have 3 healing potions and one magika potion left.

One of the best deaths i had was when diving for treasure. I was out of breathe, health failing fast, repeatedly failing casting breathe water. i finally succeeded with just a hair's width of health left and was in such a frenzy i forgot to untrap the sunken treasure. i opened it hastily, worrying only about making it back to the surface before running out of air again, and blew my character to pieces. the poor guy was left to a watery grave.
A fitting death for any adventurer. he'll never save the world, but he lived well, and would have left a beautiful corpse, if it weren't for the large explosion that reft his soul from his now charred and water swollen corpse.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:14 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't reload my paladin very often. You're right... it is fun. But he can take it. My thief/duelist I reload every few seconds... I admit, it's not particularly realistic or fun. But since being a thief with 100 sneak and no line of sight with the shopkeepers will STILL get you caught... well... I suck as a fighter (so badly I'm tempted to restart. I went up way to many levels as a thief and my combat skills are still in the 20 - 30 range at level 12).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:54 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next