12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The best espisode in Star Wars movies.

I believe most peoples who grow up as teenager during 1980s would recognize three phenomena in popular culture - Star Wars trilogy, the dances of Michael Jackson and the "bad girl" Madonna.

The Star Wars trilogy (Episodes IV, V, VI), i must admit, is my earliest
unforgettable science fiction films. And yes, as usual with the "jaw dropping" and "drooling" experiences, or gawking at the movies like couple of rednecks from nowhere.

A prequel was released in 1999, Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and then in 2002, Episode II: The Attack of the Clones. In my opinion they never as good as earlier trilogy, even after several times rewatch all the episodes. Personally among the best is Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. For me, the obvious reasons is that it got better storyline, darker atmosphere, impressive toys (Imperial Walkers, spy drones at the start of the film), and most of all, the drama between Han solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). I like the interesting characteristics of Han Solo: pragmatist, a smuggler, and "work for money" attitude instead on the cause of nobleness and honor. Interesting still, his insolent and scoundrelly approach toward Princess Leia provide a lot of funny and entertaining exchanges between the two. I always have couple of laughs every times i watch them, especially when Harrison Ford put out his "unsavory grins" toward Leia or the his defiant looks when she tries to
fend him off. You have to see the smirking "face of scoundrel" when Harrison Ford was much younger (wink).

Which episode you like most? and Why?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My favorite is TESB because... well... the Empire wins in that one . The annoying Solo type is encased in carbonite, Veers and the boys perform a nice little base delta zero on Echo Base... you see DV without his mask for the first time... the Skywalker bumpkin loses his paw... Piett gets a field promotion... the only person I relly felt sorry for was Captain Needa of the Avenger. Little did I know at the time that our work conditions would be so similar one day!
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:25 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

For me Episode 1 is the best part. I just love those light saber fights in this episode.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I agree with Jaz and Remus. Episode 5.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:51 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Ep6.
I like Jabbas cave. Mind you though, that the new scenes released in -98(?) destroyed the Jabba-scenes, with that ****ed singer. *shrudders*

CrossTopicBaner
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:05 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

The old movies are great... but I can't really remember all of them.

So my vote goes for Episode 1, the saber fights were great!
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:52 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Episode 5. I love the asteroids, the fight between Vader and Luke (Vader acts really really scary in that one), the stuff on snowy Hoth, et cetera. And it seems to me to be the best one because it is right in the classic era. BTW Star Wars Galaxies happens in the same era.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:34 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

SW Galaxies is a CE game? Vhoa. I always assumed it was an Old Republic game which is a definite turnoff for me. - I know I know, 'you assume too much'.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:11 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Definitely Ep 5. Empire is a little darker and more complex. The ending left me with a genuine sense of suspense.

Star Wars was pretty good. It's biggest strength is a simple good vs evil, rescue the princess story with an outstanding bad guy. Return was OK but I couldn't stand the silly teddy-bear Ewok critters.

Although the new ones have some excellent visuals, I think Lucas has lost the plot (literally). The stories are fairly mundane - I don't think the idea of a trade war is too exciting. There's no Darth Vader to concentrate on; Darth Maul had some real promise but it wasn't used enough and then he's dead. I know there's Count Dooku (and the not-really-revealed Sith), but although Dooku is manipulative, he's not scary. Friend and foe alike trembled before Vader as he crushed their necks and tossed them aside for any incompetence.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:05 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

For me it is episode 5 to.
Up for a shared second place are episode 4 and 6.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:24 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

In order of my favourite:

Episode 5
Episode 4
Episode 6
Episode 1
Episode 2

They're all great (ok, Ep. 1 & 2 aren't really that good). In Ep 5 the battle sequences were really well done and I think it had a lot more character development and a lot more action than the others.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:36 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Wow, this is almost unanimous! I loved them all, except for the *new ones.(*see rant below)
But I liked Empire Strikes back the best. The development of Hans Solo and Chewbacca's chars were awesome. With some great one-liners. "yeah yeah, laugh it up fuzzball!", us kids were cracking up, and so were the adults. And the love/hate relationship with Leia was good too. The betrayal by Lando! Oh man, they enter that room and Darth is sitting there and you know the gig is up for Hans Solo. Needless to say, Lando was not well liked in our family after that ='.'=

And of course, the huge battles, and the ultra-whammy revelation at the end that Darth is Papa Skywalker. All 3 were good films(i dont even count the new ones), tho TESB is the best and most climactic of them IMHO.

*****NEW STAR WARS MOVIE RANT********
I saw the first of the "prequels" with that annoying Jar Jar binks and the rest of that dumb movie with *horrible* Amidala's makeup, that was it. Space idiots let a little 12 year old girl have that much power, no wonder things are all screwed up. Stupid plot premises like that left me rolling my eyes over and over. I spit on them a thousand times for taking a concept that had nice veiled humor at times and taking it to almost slapstick at times in this film, like Jar Jar in the battle sequences with the droids. What an idiot! Here they are going on about how dangerous and important their mission is, and they are dragging around a bunch of halfwits. Add in the cliched "freeing the slaves" and this menacing Darth Maul thats actually in the movie for about 5 minutes total, I was ready to go when it ended. The Jedis arent convincing either, the musical score sucks, and I just didnt care at all about any of the characters.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:01 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
In order of my favourite:

Episode 5
Episode 4
Episode 6
Episode 1
Episode 2

That is also exactly my order of favorites, the worst is the Episode 2. For me, after Liam Neesan was gone, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen seem unable to bring more serious and weighty characters as a Jedi. They are more like a couple of normal kids that always disagree at each other. I always like Ewan's role in most movie, include Episode 1, but certainly not in this one. At least in Liam Neesan we could feel the auras of wise man, authority and leadership. And the romantic part of Anakin and Padme, the scene of they rolling on grasses or the courting lines used by Anakin enough to made me cringed...the quality just too far from any classic love/romantic movies.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:26 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The best way to watch Episode 2 is on DVD. You can skip the crap and get to the good stuff. Like lightsaber fights and the troopers.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:53 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
That is also exactly my order of favorites, the worst is the Episode 2. For me, after Liam Neesan was gone, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen seem unable to bring more serious and weighty characters as a Jedi. They are more like a couple of normal kids that always disagree at each other. I always like Ewan's role in most movie, include Episode 1, but certainly not in this one. At least in Liam Neesan we could feel the auras of wise man, authority and leadership. And the romantic part of Anakin and Padme, the scene of they rolling on grasses or the courting lines used by Anakin enough to made me cringed...the quality just too far from any classic love/romantic movies.

Liam Neeson was brilliant as a Jedi. Hayden Christiansen emits the aura of a petulent child and not a Jedi student. Ewan is ok in this (I usually really enjoy his performances- especially A Life Less Ordinary with Cameron Diaz), but much better in Ep.1 and he actually sounded a bit like a young Alec Guiness (nice touch). I agree the Padme/Anakin roll in the grass was stupid (I fast forwarded that bit- didn't get to see it at the movies ).

They should have continued with the Sith (someone once said there were female Sith type critters who used mind control, they sound cool and you could put them in the movie too) and the trade wars. Anakin could have become a double agent for the Sith, "bedded" Padme to gain information, turned on her and gone to the dark side for good. Luke and Leia would still be born and I think it would have made for a more interesting movie.

Maybe the books outlined the detailed story... I haven't read them though (maybe I should have before posting this). Can someone inform me (but please don't flame me) if there is a good reason why the Ep.2 story was so average?

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:40 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next