View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
praj
Village Leader
Village Leader

Chapter 1 - Gor-Shak

A trumpet called in the distance, announcing daybreak. The warriors of the
Horde began to emerge from their tents. Belongings were packed away, and the Horde readied itself to move. Gor-Shak, son of Nar-Shak, Shaman of the Horde, awoke. He stood and reached for his staff, then stepped out of his tent. Gor-Shak took a deep breath. He had looked forward to this day ever since he learned of the existence of the human Mages. He had heard tales of their legendary magic and today, he would be able to witness it.
The war-horns blew, and the warriors of the Horde fell into ranks, banners raised, behind Ren-Uhl, Chief of the Horde, who was riding on his wolf. The Orc leader was by no means one of the young warriors orcs, the ones eager for battle. Gor-Shak respected Ren-Uhl. Ren-Uhl knew all too well what war was like. All one had to do was look past his granite-hard exterior and see the pain in his eyes to know. Gor-Shak fell into step by the side of the Chief, astride upon his own wolf.
The horde had managed to penetrate deep into the territories of the human king, near the mines of Khorinis. The battle that would soon follow would be a vital one. The humans needed the magical ore of Khorinis for their weapons. The orcs could not allow the humans the ore. Agents of the Horde had revealed to the Chief that every available soldier the humans could arm would be there to fight. And so, the horde trudged on.

It was nearly noon before the towers of Khorinis was in sight. Gor-Shak looked down at the city, trying to ignore the nagging feeling that something was wrong. He glanced at the rest of the warriors and his own shamans. Gor-Shak had chosen his finest shamans for this battle. Among them were five brothers. The Horde waited patiently, with the calm that prevails before all hell breaks loose.

General Lee waited patiently on the hill. His forces were ready for the orcs. He knew they would attack Khorinis, and if they did, they would have to travel through a narrow pass the hill he was standing on overlooked. And when they did, his forces would swoop down the hill to victory.
Hours later, Milton suddenly entered Lee’s tent. Lee was surprised at the quickness of his aide, and stood.
“Have the orcs been spotted?” Lee asked.
“Yes, General. They ‘re coming right ‘round the valley now.” Milton spoke excitedly. Eagerness mingled in his every word.
“Well then, let’s not disappoint them. Have the men get ready for battle.” Milton turned and started to run out of the tent, glowing with pride that the vaunted General had given him something important to do. Then he tripped over the table, in the process breaking the leg of the table, sending maps and plans flying everywhere, along with a jug full of beer flying into the General’s face.
“Er…oops.” Milton managed to squeak. “Sorry.” Lee glared at him, then took a cloth and wiped off his face.
“You clumsy idiot.” Lee muttered. Milton ran as fast as he could out of the tent. Lee sighed.

Gor-Shak glanced around at the hills. The bad feeling had gotten stronger. And over the years he had come to trust those feeling of his. He debated on whether or not to tell Ren-Uhl, but decided against it. If he was wrong, he would look like a fool.

Lee inspected his troops, making sure they were ready. Then he turned, pointed down the hill at the orc Horde advancing through the valley, their war drums echoing like thunder, and yelled, “Charge!” The trumpets blew, and the wave of soldiers swept down the hill. A dark cloud of arrows rose heavenward, then paused in the sky for a second. The arrows fell like rain, dropping orc after orc. His men had nearly reached the flank of the enemy Horde.

Gor-Shak heard the human yell and the sound of the enemy trumpets. He scanned the hill for the enemy, his huge hand already removing the staff from his broad back. Ren-Uhl heard it too, and was already shouting orders. Then the arrows fell. If there was one thing Gor-Shak feared from these humans, it was their archers. The arrows fell like rain, piercing through the small holes and cracks in the orcish armor. Gor-Shak raised his staff, the end glowing a soft blue, and spoke the runes. Instantly, a blue tinted shell appeared around him and the orcs near him. The arrows bounced harmlessly off the magical shell.
Around him, his fellow shamans were doing the same. One of the Shamans near Ren-Uhl started to cast the magic, but an arrow struck his throat. The orc fell, clawing uselessly at his throat, hot red blood gurgling out of the wound. He thrashed about, then was still. Gor-Shak looked on helplessly as the rain of arrows struck Ren-Uhl, Master of the Horde, turning him into a living pincushion. Ren-Uhl bellowed in pain, as the life drained from his eyes.

The crest of the wave hit the orcs, the soldiers slashing fiercely at the massive orcs, some nearly twice as tall as the humans. But for every orc killed, ten more leaped into his place. The horde recovered from its initial confusion and began to fight back.
Thorus, commander of a group of swordsmen, gaped in astonishment as a single orc warrior swung his battleaxe and sent a group of his men flying. He continued staring even as his men were mowed down. He finally came to his senses and shouted the retreat and began to back away. Suddenly, an orc appeared in front of him, and swung his massive axe down. Just in the nick of time, Thorus got his sword out to block the blow that would have cleaved his skull apart.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:27 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

So far it's nice . We needed some story on orcs here, as they're seriously underrepresented.

Offer: Send me the whole story by mail and I'll put it up for you in the story section...

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-03-31 03:38 ]
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:37 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Just in case you didn't know by now, praj's fanfic 'The Sleeper' (chapter 1) is up here. Feel free to comment on it!

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:55 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Good story!

Gothic II Credits
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A nice piece.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:43 pm
Marshall Medan
Capitan of the Dark Knights of Nekara
Capitan of the Dark Knights of Nekara

yes very good indeed
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 8:46 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Good one praj

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:08 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Sorry praj, I wrote the mail before I decided to update your old mail to announce the story was up.

Thai, cool, I guessed right! Now that's nice .

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:16 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

hey Jaz whats ur e-mail address? i just slapped a story together in the span of roughly two hours. mind looking it over? see if it's RPGDOT material?

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:58 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You might either just press the little envelope button underneath one of my posts or send it to jaz.tarn@gmx.de to the same effect.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:01 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

o cancel that. i found it i'm just stupid

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:01 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Good story! There is more, right?

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

After all, it's part 1 .

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:52 am
praj
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yep, there’s more. I’m working on chapter 2 right now.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:14 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:

On 2002-04-02 22:52, Jaz wrote:
After all, it's part 1 .

I know, but remember my philosophy: Until I see it, it's vaporware!

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:36 pm