Gothic Doesn't start Up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
CarstenPB
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hi.

have you tried the lastest patch 1.08k ?
could probably help

Carsten
Piranha-Bytes
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:12 am

I loaded Gothic onto my pc, attempt to start it up and can only get to the pirahna splash screen and it freezes. I have an Anthlon 1.2, 512 Megs of PC133, Geforce 4Ti4400 with the latest Nvidia drivers, over 60Gigs of space available on the hard drive. I am stumped. Does anyone have an English Patch? If not, does the German version work for the English Version?
Post Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:34 pm

Where is the latest version 8k, for the English Version? It is not on any site that I can find. I only find the German version and I am not sure if it will work on my English Version.
Post Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:36 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Click on 'Hosted Sites'.
Post Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:50 pm

What do you mean "click on Hosted Sites". I downloaded 108k, but it still locks up after the Piranha Byte screen, can anyone please help???
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:07 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1.08k is the latest patch.

Better open a new thread, it draws more attention than an old one.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:22 am

I downloaded the 1.08k patch and it did not help. Perhaps this is because I have the Geforce 4 Ti 4400 Graphics Card? It still freezes up during the PB water scene. I have allowed it to wait for over 10 minutes, and over an hour one time. In either case, it will not go past that screen. In fact it freezes my entire computer. Could this be due to Windows ME, or I have too new of a computer system? Anyone can reply to me at Tampa_Tip@msn.com. Thanks to anyone who can help! I desire to play the game and am disappointed that I cant.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:05 pm

Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall the game, then apply the patch again? Do you think this may solve the problem? Shouldnt Geforce 3 issues be similar if not the same for Geforce 4 issues? So shouldnt the 108k patch solve my Geforce 4 problems (if it is infact a Geforce 4 issue)? I have the latest Direct X (8.1) so that should rule that problem out, correct?
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:14 pm

I have the same lockup at the PB screen. The game will not go past that point. P4, GF3, 512MB ...
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:16 am

Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Kudos to artos.

I was just about to say 'Well, doesn't the patch clear up that exact startup error?', y'beat me to it. :3

I'm always impressed by how quick people are on these boards though and as with any game, figuring out what's wrong on your machine is a matter of trial and error.

Firstly, don't be afraid to try new drivers, if you have new drivers then try shutting down programs and stuff to see if you're using a 'Graphics Control Panel' or something that might be causing the problem.

If not, get a program which can alter the settings on your card, mess around with that and the Gothic.INI until the game runs.

The most likely cause of these problems though is that you don't have the patch installed. Go to the Downloads section of http://gothic.rpgdot.com and snag the 1.08k patch, just like artos said.

That clears up most errors and if it doesn't, it's just a matter of Gothic not liking your card. Fiddle, you'll find the right configuration eventually. :3
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:16 pm

quote:

You have two critical components, WinXP and GeForce3. Sorry we are unable to help you here.

So far, Gothic (with patch) is running superbly on my WinXP Pro, GF4 Ti4600 system, running the latest 28.32 nVidia Detonators. I'm also running an Athlon XP 1600 + on a 156MHz FSB, which pushes the cpu to Athlon 2000 + territory.

As one person earlier noted, programs running in the background can keep Gothic from running correctly. Also, people who installed the game with background programs running and who are having these troubles should disable any and all background programs and reinstall the game with these programs off and out of memory--it's not unusual that background programs running while you do an install can mess up an installation--causing it to corrupt/omit files or otherwise botch an install which *appears* to have installed successfully. I've had it happen to me more than once with a variety of software.

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:43 pm

Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

So far, Gothic (with patch) is running superbly on my WinXP Pro, GF4 Ti4600 system, running the latest 28.32 nVidia Detonators. I'm also running an Athlon XP 1600 + on a 156MHz FSB, which pushes the cpu to Athlon 2000 + territory.

Wich Gf4? Creative? Asus? Gainward?
Can you tell us?

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=92727#92727
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:25 pm
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks to everyone else who helped me out on the Geforce 4 Issues. I came to realize that even though I downloaded the 108k patch, it did nothing for my problems. Even though I have the latest drivers for the Geforce 4 Ti 4400, I had to download the Geforce Tweaker and under the OpenGL tab, check the compatibility mode to use the old TNT2 instructions & disable the T&L. I also played around with the ini file, as previously suggested. Once this was done, the game finally gets past the PB scene and the first opening cut scene. Yeah, at one point I could not get past the cut scene. I am elated that I can finally play. Now all I need is a Quick Reference Guide. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie to Gothic? Also, how can I go about changing my pic from a peasant to a unique one? Thanks again to everyone!!

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:46 am

yep

exact same thing
If i hit ctrl alt delete and then escape and do that over and over and over sometimes i can play for another few seconds before it does it again.

p4 1.3 geforce 3 512 ram. windows me

no noobs 512 ram is not a problem on me.

no john nipps or nibbles. it has nothing to do with the video card being good enough.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:49 am

Anonimouse

Aaaaarghhhhhh. I just encoutered this problem & tried everything to get it to work, re-installed, compatability mode, new drivers etc. It had been running fine until last night when nothing would work just hanging at the gothic splash screen (after the movies). I backed up my saves & fresh installed, dead. Frustration I so want to continue to play. so last ditch effort six hours play kaput, I uninstall & delete my saves.
Currently at work so have to wait to re-install & kill the ASUS probe before playing. First it works then it doesn't. why oh why?

Thanks for the tip I shall start a fresh this evening.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:10 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next