Ultima X: Odyssey Movie?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ultima X: Odyssey Movie?

UO Stratics has posted a <a href="http://www.eaxevent.com/" target="_blank">link</a> to the San Francisco Event site. <br>It shows footage of a game with a large X. This X looks exactly like the one in the Ultima X: Odyssey logo. <br>You can access the rest of the page only with a password that only invited people received. <br>The new game Electronic Arts is working on will be shown at the San Francisco Event. <br>
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:51 pm
Garrett

nice movie, but it looks like a shooter...anyway, what convinced me it is for Ultima is the language...Thou knowest what I am talking about
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:52 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Thou art correct!
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:58 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I hope it has RvR and land ownership.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:04 am
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I believe it will be something similar to Tabula Rasa, where you can adventure with a small group or alone in private areas...
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:10 am
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok, think about this.
When Richard Garriott still worked at Origin, he develeoped a new concept for a new generation of MMORPGs - Project X.
This is the concept that will be used for his new game Tabula Rasa, where you have a "open area" where you can meet with thousands of other players and you also have "private realms" where you can have small group-multiplayer ot single-player adventures.
When Garriott left Origin, he had to sign a contract that didn't allow him to create new games for a years, so that he wouldn't compete with Origin.
Now, I think that EA is using the concept RG developed (as he developed it while he was still working at Origin, they may have the rights to use this idea).
This way they could start working on a game with "Tabula Rasa" concept a year before RG could start to work on a new game.
So, I think that Ultima X will be the first game that uses this new concept.
And I think the purpose for the contract RG had to sign was to ensure that Ultima X would be the first game with this concept and not Tabula Rasa.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:53 am

Ultima X an MMORPG?

*Yawn* is right.

The gaming public is drunk on MMORPGs. I could write articles about what's wrong with them. Unless they evolve, the public will one day wake up, pop two asprin, and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Ultima X = MMORPG? Count me out. I've got enough glorified chat rooms I partake in.

I want to be a master mage, a jedi knight, the savior of the universe, the keeper of faith, the indestructible enforcer of the law, and the avatar.

I can't be any of those things when there are 500,000 other people who are exactly like me. The point of the above titles are because there are so few or one (take a look at nearly all movies or books for prime examples of this).

What good is super human strength if everyone's got it... Get my drift?

UX = MMORPG... What a cryin shame.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:31 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Darkmoon
Ok, think about this.
When Richard Garriott still worked at Origin, he develeoped a new concept for a new generation of MMORPGs - Project X.
This is the concept that will be used for his new game Tabula Rasa, where you have a "open area" where you can meet with thousands of other players and you also have "private realms" where you can have small group-multiplayer ot single-player adventures.
When Garriott left Origin, he had to sign a contract that didn't allow him to create new games for a years, so that he wouldn't compete with Origin.
Now, I think that EA is using the concept RG developed (as he developed it while he was still working at Origin, they may have the rights to use this idea).
This way they could start working on a game with "Tabula Rasa" concept a year before RG could start to work on a new game.
So, I think that Ultima X will be the first game that uses this new concept.
And I think the purpose for the contract RG had to sign was to ensure that Ultima X would be the first game with this concept and not Tabula Rasa.

Its not exactly the first game. There is Mythica from Microsoft doing the nearly the same thing. Mythica was announced before this game and has a large following already.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:52 pm
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok, but If Ultima X uses this concept, it may be the first MMORPG released that has this feature.
There are rumours that Ultima X may be released by the end of the year whereas Mythica will be released in 2004.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:57 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

In fact Tabula Rasa expands on the concepts first developed for Ultima Worlds Online. Quite a few teammebers form UWO are working for TR.

Anyway: EA knows how the market for MMORPG's has developed. They know how to make game profitable. The even know how to make a fun and profitable Online Ultima game. Im sure X will be a great new gaming experience for anyone who likes online gaming. But for the (long term) Ultima fan... I fear the worst.

Parc
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:27 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Thats true Darkmoon. I didnt know that it might be out this winter, that would be cool, since three of the games i look forward to the most are slated for -at least- early 2004. Except for EQ2, which -might- make 2003. In any case, its got to be a very good design for me to pay every month. The only mmorpg i am for sure looking forward to is Dragon Empires because it has land ownership and RvR and awesome graphics and all the jazz. They really need to put up a website about this game before i will consider buying it though. To use a metaphor, i dont like to eat anything unless i know exactly what it is first.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:33 am