SWG:Ranger/Pistoleer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

SWG:Ranger/Pistoleer

Just wanted to start a discussion on the viability of this combination. I figure it will work just fine for PvE and decently at PvP. I read about damage mitigation and while I didn't quite understand who it helped or hurt more, it seemed like a decent idea. Still, being new to the game I'm still a blind man without a pole (or dog) and was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me a little. I've already made 0-3-0-2 in marksman and 2-1-1-1 in scout so I'm already on my way, but not too far to be annoyed if this combo really sucks.

That aside, I guess I want to be good at PvE, useful to groups and have a fighting chance in PvP. Seems like this combo should work alright.

Melvil Stag
Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:58 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

As far as I know, unless things have changed drastically while I was away from the game, Pistoleer is one of the single most powerful ranged profession in the game, so you can't go wrong with it at all. Whether it's for PvP or PvE, it'll work great. Pistols are probably the best weapons. They don't do the most damage, but they shoot fast and the specials you get are good.

Some Bounty Hunters go for some pistoleer skills to complement their own, if it's any indication.

As for Ranger, I'm not sure. Although the camps are certainly interesting, I don't know if the other skills are that useful.... I can't help you there.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:04 am
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

That's what I've heard about Rangers

A lot of the Rangers on the main board are close to changing jobs, but whiners are never satisfied. It will always depend on the people you play with and how much you roleplay. I guess I'll find out.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:32 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

According to upcoming changes to SWG they are planning to get rid of the whining: (aka remove the boards)

quote:
Proposed Changes
Yadda yadda

4. The SWG Discussion Forum will be removed to help focus game development discussions and make sure that community suggestions, comments and contributions are catalogued in forums that will be read and tracked by the development team. Please use your Galaxy forums for general SWG discussions.

We want to keep the best parts of the SWG discussion forum, so we encourage comments about what other types of forums would be a benefit to the community with the knowledge that they will not get developer attention.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:53 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

That's probably not a bad idea in itself. DAoC never had boards and they still thrived. I think the mistake here is to have boards in the first place, only to take them out later on, but mistakes happen. The general feeling coming out of the SWG boards is pretty bad, and it doesn't always reflect the true picture. You might say that's true of every game out there too though.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:40 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
As far as I know, unless things have changed drastically while I was away from the game, Pistoleer is one of the single most powerful ranged profession in the game, so you can't go wrong with it at all. Whether it's for PvP or PvE, it'll work great. Pistols are probably the best weapons. They don't do the most damage, but they shoot fast and the specials you get are good.

Some Bounty Hunters go for some pistoleer skills to complement their own, if it's any indication.

As for Ranger, I'm not sure. Although the camps are certainly interesting, I don't know if the other skills are that useful.... I can't help you there.

I've heard from secure sources, (two pistoleeers) that pistoleer is a crappy profession if you not use the pistol skill tree in either BH or smuggler.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Agree. If you are looking for a real good PvE character you could either do as I did and go Master Smuggler / Master CH or if you like Pistoleer better get that plus the Dirty Fighting pistol line in Smuggler. Smuggler has no pistol mods at all. It's a cruel joke when I'm fighting. It usually goes miss - miss - miss - hit - hit - miss - miss or very similar to that.

It doesn't matter that much in PvE because as a Smuggler you can always /feigndeath if things get nasty (or just heal yourself .. I'd consider -at least- Novice Medic a must for any combat profession) but Pistoleer is a real good choice, of course, because you will be dealing massive amounts of damage in very little time and be very accurate thanks to the Pistoleer mods.
Problem: You have no tanking abilities at all but that can be overcome by using /feigndeath a lot.

You may want to ask this question on the official forums again but I guess it would be enough to climb up to Dirty Fighting III in Smuggler because /lastditch (from Smuggler) and /stoppingshot (from Pistoleer) should be interchangeable. Have never used /stoppingshot myself so I couldn't tell you which one of these high delay/high damage shots is better (btw.. /lastditch stuns an enemy pretty often .. not sure if /stoppingshot does the same).

Anyway, the Dirty Fighting skills are all great. There aren't too many mobs in the game who will recover from a /lowblow (knockdown .. usually lasts five seconds) .. /panicshot (delays the target for ten seconds thus effectively keeping them down longer) and /lastditch or /stoppingshot combo. You do pretty insane damage on a knocked-down mob due to posture modifiers. Those mobs who do recover from this combo.. well, you will want to instant /feigndeath when they get back on their feet .
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:04 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I'm a Novice Pistoleer myself and am content with the damage I do.
One advice I can give you is when have gotten novice pistoleer to first go up in the 3rd colomn. It will give you ranged mitigation 1 right away plus further down that colomn is stopping shot and fan shot. (and ranged mitigation 2)
I've heard from other (Master) Pistoleers that stopping shot and fan shot are your best friends.
Not quite there myself yet, I've just gotten the first box. But working on it

Also, when I get buffs from a doctor I'm damn near invincible! So when I hit Master Medic soon, I will continue to go for Doctor.
You will need to advance in the 2nd and 3rd colomns to be able to buff yourself or others.
Seems to me that Pistoleer and part time Doctor is a powerful combo.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:31 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

And when they set a hard cap for defence in the next publish, having doctor as secondary skill will be very useful.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:13 pm