Pirates of the Caribbean (PC): Review @ Games Domain
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Pirates of the Caribbean (PC): Review @ Games Domain

The exact same score as for the XBox edition is the result of Games Domain's PC <a href="http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/jul03/pirates.html" target="_blanK">review</a> of 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. That's 3.5 out of 5 symbols and here's a bit:<blockquote><em>Unlike the Disneyland attraction to which this title owes its name (and to which there is almost no discernable connection), Pirates of the Caribbean has a fairly steep "fun curve." The game's introductory stage has a tutorial of sorts, but it's pretty skimpy. Once the introductory town of Oxbay port is overrun by a squadron of French warships, the player must warn the nearby provincial governor... and, depending upon inclination, take on a mission to infiltrate the new French garrison. If that doesn't sound like much fun, the player can choose to align himself, his ship(s) and his crew(s) with one of the military forces in the area, including the English, the French, the Dutch, the Spanish, or, possibly, the pirates.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:59 am
Punsiher

It should be noted that all 3 early PotC reviews (on Games Domain & IGN) are written by the same author. Chris Hudak churns out reviews faster than Pamella Anderson can wax her pogo stick Did Mr. Hudak really play through Enter the Matrix on the PC, XBox, PS2, and the Gamecube? Did he really give Enter the Matrix a higher score than PotC? I suggest you take his reviews with a grain of salt.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:21 am

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Duly noted. Im prolly buying this one anyway. It just looks too good to pass up.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well, I must say I hadn't noticed that. How disappointing! It means this one guys opinion will receive undue weight for potential early purchasers who are looking at early reviews for guidance.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:13 am
Vindicator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Chris Hudak regularly writes for nearly a dozen media outlets, including Games Domain, Electric Playground, IGN, GameSpy, Game Revolution, Computer Games Magazine, and even TechTV... it's amazing how many times a freelance game reviewer can rewrite and sell the same review. In addition to the PC, he reviews games for every console in existence... even the GBA. Hell, this guy even writes movie reviews. I'm not saying that his reviews are bad... but I can't help but think that he barely scratches the surface of a deep game like PotC before writing his review. And yes, his reviews do carry undue weight, especially when reviews are averaged on GameRankings.com, where the only 2 reviews of PotC are his.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:43 am
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well...

His criticisms are valid though. I'd have brought the same issues up myself. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game though. One or two patches to change a few things (maybe add a few things) would be nice. Thi game has expansion written all over it. It they could add a lot more meat to this game (npc dialogue, quests and items) it would be incredible.

The sea battles are a lot of fun and it's downright gorgeous. Sometimes I'll just cruise at night to watch the moon, or through a storm and watch the lightning and twisters.

This game definitely isn't for everyone, but those who'll like it, will like it a lot. I'm one of them.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:16 am

That's why ...

This explains why I keep reading that PotC takes place in 1860. Isn't it 1680?
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:55 pm