Usergroups
Gothic 2 release dates - discussion
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Urnakh
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The reason is simple: Jowood went almost bankrupt and therefor hadn't the cash to release the game. Unfortunately that happens quite often to rather small publishers/developers. I'm sure throwing FU's at Atari is very satisfying but without them there probabaly wouldn't be a english language release at all.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:49 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lostnumber,

North Carolina is just fine by me! It must be since I've spent most of my life here. There is something here that suits almost everyone's style of living. Mountains, beaches, big cities (well, Charlotte -- close enough), suburbs, the country, etc. All with that authentic southern feel. The coastal area (like Wilmington) is great for seafood and fishing as you know first hand.

Regarding the Hurricanes, I guess they bother me about as much as earthquakes are a concern for a hardened Californian. You always know the possibilty exists ( and Hurricane Fran in '96 was a "nice" reminder ),
but it never permeates your thoughts to the point where it is bothersome. You know, just one of those risks that comes along with living.

Another "good" thing about Hurricanes - as opposed to other natural disasters like tornados and earthquakes - is that with today's technology you know WAY in advance when one is gonna hit and you can prepare.

====
And now in a desperate attempt to keep my crazy Tourist Bureau spin on topic, I will post places to buy Gothic 2 in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area (on October 7th that is):

1. Best Buy - New Hope Commons in Durham, Pleasant Valley in Raleigh
2. EB Games - New Hope Commons in Durham, SouthPoint Mall in Durham, Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh
3. GameStop - University Mall in Chapel Hill
4. Circuit City - in Raleigh or Durham
5. Babbages in Crabtree Valley in Raleigh
6. CompUSA - Hwy 70 in Raleigh. (This is where I bought Gothic originally!)

====
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:32 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Will getting the game late or not at all kill me.........no, of course not. But I think anyone has the right to be upset at the total indifference shown to interested game buyers. We received NO info, explaination, or possible time frame from either jowood or atari/infogrames about the release, after repeated requests from thousands of people. As a buyer, of ANY product, I expect and deserve a certain level of support. Those companies unwilling to offer even rudimentary help/info should be avoided, NOT rewarded for their indifference. I do vote with my money, and so should you, or this kind of treatment will fluorish.

Were it not for the fact that PB has worked their butts off to create wonderful gaming experiences, I would simply grab G2 off of filesharing, and jowood/atari/infogrames can blow me. Instead, I have ordered from UK, and truly hope PB will continue the series. PB even cares enough to drop by here and chat with us, but they are'nt getting the backing from distribs that they deserve, which could lead some to think PB is indifferent.........which we know they are not.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:51 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is a difference between JoWooD and Atari. Atari answered mails and phonecalls from forum members and told them the current status of the release. While JoWooD, well, we´ve talked about it often enough. Let me just say that getting completely out of distribution business was the best thing they could do. Their strong point is investment in a relatively big number of interesting games. They suck at distribution and marketing, while communication has always been one of their weaknesses. (With the exception of the development teams for Söldner, Industry Giant and Spellforce, for specific internal reasons.)
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:14 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Gorath, I have to disagree. We posted heavily on Infogrames/Atari forums asking for info, but got nada(remember I asked ppl to ask for info there). They have shown that it's no biggie to them, but they have a true game of the year on their hands. Instead they wanted to promote the Lame of the year ETM. PB and their fans deserve better and I'll not make excuses for them. Screw'm.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:00 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Uriziel, I had to mail only one time to Atari and they replied to me the next day. Other persons also did get some replies from Atari. So the only true thing you can say is that they didn't (and still not doing it) promote Gothic 2.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:44 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, Atari UK still have failed to update their website, no info on Gothic 2. They did not reply to my e-mail either, however, after phoning them, they were able to give me a UK release date, so I would have to say Atari's support is very minimal.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:45 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Why would they wait so long to release in US?

I feel like a broken record...
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:36 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Perhaps because some people like to get even. -> Most of the other games hit the shelves in Europe a couple of day's weeks and sometimes even months later.

Off course before you reply on this post you have to know that I don't like it for both of us(Europe & US).
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:38 pm
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bleh...the problem with releasing it far it advance in the UK and not having it available in North America is warez. If most gamers have a choice between getting it now and getting it in a few months, which would they choose? I'd guess that the patience of even the most dedicated fan is wearing thin, and to wait a few months while a version with only minimal differences is available elsewhere would drive them to do things they normally wouldn't (and that thing probably won't be paying an extra $20 shipping).
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:09 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

One week to go
Post Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:25 am
knaseren
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

why dont u give up... gothic 2 will never be released. get a mmorpg instead. im playing dark age of camelot and its great
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:18 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I 'm not interested in On-line gaming, so an mmorpg is out of the question. And just shut the **** up when you only want things to say like "why dont u give up... gothic 2 will never be released."
Gothic 2 will be released on 13th June.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:05 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

I agree.

Could to much "No say" make a games release date be set back, holy crap. lol

If only ETM got released about 4 months ago we would all have our GII boxes sitting on our game shelves.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:16 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

its true though why wait for 4 or 5 months when you can get a shareware version in just a couple day and besides atari or infogrames or who ever the hell is doing international distribution really ****ed up not releasing g2 in US same time as in UK personally i think they are gonna lose a whole ton of money cause of that
Anyone else think that?
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:49 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next