Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
People who've played the fullversion, pleased read.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

People who've played the fullversion, pleased read.

Just a few questions I hope someone can answer who's played the german version.

1. Has the story improved over the first one? That's about the only thing I wasn't too pleased with in Gothic 1. I found the story to be quite boring.

2. Are there more transform spells? I can't understand why Gothic 1 didn't offer all transform spells such as Fire lizard and demon.

3. Is there more armor?

4. Do the villagers talk in the background like the first Gothic? That's one thing I really couldn't stand (extremely annoying). People saying the samething over and over again. Ex. You shouldn't believe everything you hear! After hearing this line being said over a thousand times by the villagers, I had no choice but to murder them all. Please tell me this isn't in gothic 2?

5. Is there more weapon level ups and moves you can perform? What about an arena where you can challenge people to fight? That's one thing I really loved about Gothic 1. Wish there was more though.

6. How do you think this game would run on a 1.2 thunderbird, 512 pc133 ram, geforce 2 ultra 64 meg, and a sound blaster live value? Mind you, I always play my games in 640 by 480. Theres just not a big enough difference in texture quality for me to want to up it higher and degrade performance.

I greatly appreciate any feedback you can give me. Also, please only people who have played the fullversion game(german) answer me. Thanks.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:38 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

1. To be honest, I find the story kinda blah. While the implication is first class, it's the usual fantasy RPG storyline.

2. At the moment I'm mainly playing as a Paladin, so the only spell I use is the holy arrow. I have a ton of scrolls, but haven't bothered using them.

3. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of armour, but I could be wrong.

4. Yes, it's like that in the sequel. Though to be honest, I find it adds a lot of atmosphere, especially as I'm not in the Towns that often. It could be worse, could be like that woman in Ultima 9 who was doomed to eternally sweep the floor.

5. One of the things I miss is acrobatics. Pretty useless, but at least it looked good. I kinda wished a system like Jedi Outcast was used, where you could throw a sword, and jump into combat from a great height, beheading all before you. I've said it before, but a game with the options of a Diablo and the graphics and depth of Gothic would be the ultimate game. Duel welding, great leaps, beserker rages, sword throws, special moves, etc.. As I usually play as a warrior, twould be nice.

6. At that resolution, I'd say you would be allright, but I know other have had problems. But you have plenty of ram, so it should work grand. Try out the demo.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There are new transform spells, but the bloodfly transform is no more. There's no arena in the sense of the word, but there's a guy who makes money with fights, you can challenge him if you feel like it.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:31 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks for the replys guys. Very sad indeed that theres no bloodfly trasnform spell. That was always the one I used during travel in the first Gothic. Is there any other transform spells that comes close to this one in both speed and survival from jumping off of high cliffs? Why did they take out the best transform spell anyways? Thanks again.
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:06 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jay

To be honest, I find the story kinda blah. While the implication is first class, it's the usual fantasy RPG storyline.

You mean the way the story unfolds or is presented is first class right? For games, this is actually more important to me than the *actual* story. Although a strong plot is always desired, I find the *details* of how the plot is presented (NPC conversations, your discoveries, interactive events) is more important in games because you are actually involved in the story as opposed to just reading about in a detached manner.

quote:
Originally posted by Jay

4. Yes, it's like that in the sequel. Though to be honest, I find it adds a lot of atmosphere, especially as I'm not in the Towns that often. It could be worse, could be like that woman in Ultima 9 who was doomed to eternally sweep the floor.

Definitely. I've always enjoyed the background and thought it added the right ambiance.

quote:
Originally posted by Jay

I've said it before, but a game with the options of a Diablo and the graphics and depth of Gothic would be the ultimate game. Duel welding, great leaps, beserker rages, sword throws, special moves, etc.. As I usually play as a warrior, twould be nice.

This is exactly what I thought as I was playing Enclave. Enclave has incredible graphics, models, and animation. The whole time I was playing I kept thinking, if they could just keep the "action" part of something like this and combine it with the depth and RPGness of something like Gothic, we'd have an awesome game (or vice-versa like you said -- Gothic's engine but make combat even more in-depth with moves, dual weilding, etc).
Post Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:20 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The way the story unfolds is first class. While as a book, Gothic 2 would be incredibly lacking, as a game it's great. The entire class system, the re-occuring NPCs throughtout the game, the ever-changing envirements, attention to detail and the sheer scale of the game make it a truly epic game.

Enclave sounds interesting. Kinda sounds like Blade of Darkness. I would love to see an similar system implimented for warriors in RPGs, as they always seem to have a lot less options then Mages or Thieves.
Post Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:08 am
Der Kaese
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Don't buy Enclave and expect it to have the awesome fighting system that made BoD that good. The graphics are good and the game seems interesting at first.. but it's very arcadish and the fighting system is very bland imho ..

Try a demo first, in any case..

-Kaese
Post Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:20 am
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Can anyone tell me if the mouse look can be inverted in the first person mode? Doesn't seem to be possible in the demo...
Post Fri May 02, 2003 4:29 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Enclave sounds interesting. Kinda sounds like Blade of Darkness. I would love to see an similar system implimented for warriors in RPGs, as they always seem to have a lot less options then Mages or Thieves.

Enclave IS interesting. A really funny game... But yes, its very arcadish, not an RPG, its like a fantasy/action game. But its worth a look at!

Maybe alittle off topic, sorry.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 2:36 am
Gothrinian1602
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hey u guys know that there is a map of Gothic II but its in German... Its kinda of cool though if u havent seen it go and look at it.....

But i forgot the ADDRESS can someone post it so we clould go see it plez.... thanx
Post Sat May 03, 2003 3:10 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I think you can find it in the Gothic 2 Spoilers forum.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sun May 04, 2003 6:26 pm
Gothrinian1602
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanx ill check it out.... again. I just see the pictures cause i dont understand anything of German, all i know is Spanish, and English....lol
Post Sun May 04, 2003 8:14 pm
Xardas_The_Necromancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have a feeling about Gothic 2 is going to be history, sounds so good that I can't wait!
Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:45 pm
Icewind
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. [Spoiler]

beware of my good english

You awake in Xardas new tower ... Then he tells you something is going on ... the drakes are coming but first you should restore your old power (after the sleepers death you were lying a long time under plenty of stones ) ... then you become member of one of the communities ... the town... the thiefs and the monks.After that you have to restore an artifact and so on ...
[bigSpoiler]
In the middle the story is going on better and then you have to go in the old world ,that was to see the old mine landscape filled with orcs and fire

2.Theres only one new transform spell : sheep
but when you could transform into a demon it would be very easier to win the game

3.No .Its how in Gothic .With the next chapters you get better armors

4.They are saying the same .But there are some new sounds like " my husband is working all the time" (yes did you hear ,in gothic 2 there are living women

5.You can now do more "critical hits" ( on to 100 %)
With a higher %-skill you can fight very ,very quicker

6.With your ram it should go ... I played it on a D 750 with a GF4MX on 800x600 on 50%details with a sight of 100% ( out of town and in the old world i could play it on 1024x768
on a XP2000 with GF4MX I played it with 1024x768 ,the highest details and sight of 300% .
Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:21 pm