Greyhawk Impressions @ Penny Arcade
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Greyhawk Impressions @ Penny Arcade

Penny Arcade's Tycho has posted some daily news comments that include <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-09-24" target="_blank">impressions</a> of ToEE. He doesn't really reach a conclusion but here's a taste:<blockquote><em>Let me begin by saying that this is the most accurate representation of the modern Dungeons and Dragons combat system in existence. Neverwinter Nights is great and all, I'm on record as holding that position. But without going into too much detail - trust me, it is not possible to establish in this space the comparative complexity of the systems - allow me to compare Neverwinter's system to Temple's annoying, imitative kid brother. They each made choices about how to manifest Dungeons and Dragons, Bioware made the choices that would be right for most people, and Troika let the source material make the decisions. There's no other way to put it.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:59 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Theres one line in there that pretty much says what I think"The game,ToEE, goes from brilliance to bullshit".
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:02 am
Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The correct quote is '...Everything else about the game leaps frantically from brilliant to bullshit...'

I'll still buy it when it is released in the UK, but there had better be a bloody patch released...
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:28 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thx for the correction. If there isen't a patch I think even the fanboys will freak!It would also contribute the last nail to the coffin.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:38 pm
Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Have you read http://www.eye-on-troika.net/index.php ?

A 'mod' has already been created to put back the brothel in TOEE! That was fast...!

By the sounds, it won't be long before the children reappear in the game, and a 'fan' patch will be released!

I'm looking even more forward to the UK release now!
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:07 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

So are you telling me that the game stinks? or are you saying to wait for a patch to correct those issues... ?
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:43 pm
Dhruin

It really depends on how sensitive you are about bugs. Most of the bugs are errors with the D&D rules implementation (that in my opinion are relatively minor). If it upsets you that enemies can drink potions without setting off an AoO (and things of this nature) then you may want to wait. If you can accept these issues as part of the game - or you wouldn't have known the difference anyway - there's a lot of people thoroughly enjoying this game.

There are other problems but none that have bothered me greatly. Troika's Tom Decker dropped a big hint in the Atari foums that official word on a patch should be along soon, anyway.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:32 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Cool, thanks Dhruin! I wont be buying it until January so i trust most issues will be resolved by then with a patch or two.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:41 am
niteshade

It's worth noting that there are far more serious bugs in the game, and if your not careful they could cause you to have to completely abandon your game and start over. Examples are things where the entire town suddenly turns hostile while your away, or your spellcaster gets permanently silenced and can never cast spells again. Often when one of these bugs occurs it's not immediately obvious and you can easily save your game and find yourself stuck in a no-win situation. As a result it's essential to keep multiple save game positions so that you only lose a couple hours of work instead of your entire progress.

Other bugs will simply force you to end your game and restore from your last save with no other ill effects, such as when a fight starts but the monster is stuck in the wall and can't do anything or be hurt, but yet you can't end the fight.

It is true that most of the errors are simply things like spells and abilities not working properly (or at all) But the fact that there are are several dozen minor errors doesn't make the ten or twenty serious erros any less significant.

But as the review says, when the game works, it's a thing of beauty. The combats in particular are alot of fun. Exploring the world and talking to people is less fun in part because their world is incomplete, but still the cool and interesting combats and character building are enough fun to forgive that.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:45 am

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for that Niteshade. I'll wait for a patch before installing TOEE.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:27 am
greyskull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have not had any of the problems many of you have mentioned.. Admititedly, i am not the most up to date on the newer rules (though i am trying) but i haven not nocited any bugs that would interrupt my enjoyment of TOEE... The graphics are incredible, and though they are 2D they are really impressive. The questing is very challenging, right from the get go, which i like, because nobody likes the games where you waste the frist hour running around doing mindless tasks just so you can finaly reach a challenging point in the game. My only complaint would be the obvious removal of children, however, it sounds like that is being corrected as we speak, which is great!... IMHO, if they make more games using this engine they will all be hits.
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:45 pm