Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A few questions, please answer/help me! :)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
mawhonic89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A few questions, please answer/help me! :)

I haven't managed to become a mage yet.
But when I read these forums, people say that they use only a few spells? (!)

I thought you could get like every full circle of spells, and use them when you want! Isn't it like this?

One more thing:
Can anyone give me some hints concerning Pyrokars Magic Test? (Test of Fire)
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:41 pm
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

Read the books in the librery to take the test..
if you are doing the test right now than just look for the blank rune and the chast in a cave close to the bigest monster in khorinis... (i dont want to spoil it for you...).
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:28 pm
mawhonic89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for not spoiling it.. But I wonder, can I be told this by the other "chosens" ?

What about the spell thingy ?
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:51 pm
Pikkon

As a mage you create your own runes.. rune are not like scrolles.. you can use tham as long as you want.. every circle have its own runes.. being a mage is very hard at the begining but easy in the end..
You can get something like 12-15 blank runes (to create magic runes with tham) so dont use tham for usulles spells... mages have more than a few spells... beive me.. you cant get all of the spells... or at least i dont think so.. its not like on gothic 1 that you can only buy runes.. (they cost a LOT) you dont need too much spells.. after you will find a good spell that you can use in all situations (Try to have a lot of mana so you can use the spells much and that you wont have to attack run take a potion and attack again all the time
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:20 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I re-balanced the spells to make the other choices more acceptable.

With the my Spell Rebalance Mod; no more are you stuck with the clear obvious choice of "Fireball" all the time. I made the other spells more damage and less mana to give you something to think about. I also increased the spell Summon monsters attack toughness.

The other spells are really fun to play with, and with the changes I made in G2Hard mod Some monsters are either immune to a Fire based attack (such as a Fire Waren or Fire Dragon) and must use a pure Magic based attack like Lightining. Also, vice versa.

I think the changes makes the game much more fun since it makes it posible to explore the fun use of other spells such as Windfist,
Summons, and IceBlock, etc.

Right now, it is not most damage/mana ratio to choose these spells over Fireball lets say. I thought it got boring. Adds variety.

I could just add more blank runes to game to be found or bought right now, but I would rather have them as custom quest item rewards plus experience for mage class with the new Dev tools when Raven is released (or figure out how to get it to work with G2 alone).

I also nerfed Paladin Holy bolt to cost more mana; too much damage for a small mana amount. Alas, changed Oblivian scroll to use 50 mana so it a more mage thing but others can use it by eating 50 mushrooms, read book, free permenate potions found, rings and amulets without investing any mana points. (quest for alchemist).

At last, people do not seem interested in the mods I make. I do not have a place to upload. Maybe when it is released in USA; more people will enjoy them.

Maybe I can ask Gorath if this website can upload the files for download. It is not like they have alot for this game anyway. (NONE)

E-mail me and I can tell you the changes I made, not drastic, just enough in the obvious places for only a spell re-balance MOD (plus the English text correction fan patch is included with that I made).

People try it and if not like, I can get a consenus of a final balance.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:20 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Its nice to see xerxes, that you will keep gothic 2 scene fresh and going, accept my deepest graditute .

About your mod, i think people will show more intrest to it if you could sum few basic details what you trying to do and what can we expect from it?perhaps gorath could put some info about it into news ?

I would like to few tougher monsters(dragons were incredible weak compared demons, which need to be nerfed a bit).

Some spells need tweaking, like you said.How about adding new spellrunes, like turning into scavenger, snapper etc..Also some spells should be more powerfull(fist of wind)..
Maeby you could give mages a chance to get a decent magic weapons for close combat, ie staff of fire for instance.,if you hit with it, the enemy would suffer some magical damage...dunno if this is even possible to do.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:10 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I can make Dragons Seekers anything tougher. I can change any spell any way I want. I did make them tougher and Windfist on par with Fireball.

I can not though add a new rune spell, nor custom quest or items. I would need to re-parse the script with a Dev tools (like that which came with Raven may work with G2 alone maybe).

What I am doing is subtituting Numbers and Values in gothic.dat. Such as a weapon cost, damage, NPC armor worn, weapon carried by an NPC, value of items, stopping exploit by dialog changes and AI reactions, stats and combat skills for NPC and monster and animals, armor protection statistics, a heck of alot. If I can get the Dev tool to reparse script gothic.dat so EXE wil recognize it, then custom quest, new characters, new monters, etc. A whole new add-on!

Right now I can only do the value substutions, but that covers alot of things.

Akril's Sword gives a magic 10% bonus to hit. That is scripted in. I can change the value but I can not make a new magic weapon item. I know what the script format looks like in hex format (hard to read) but I can not make the EXE understand the new instance of that item. The orginal Gothic1 Dev Mod Kit used Spacer (primary funtion was new landscape with Studio Max 3D) but had the ability to 'Parse' the scripts and make the EXE understand the new existence of items, new quest, new NPC, monsters etc. There is a tutorial partially translated on this website under Gothic Modding.

With more input I am getting a decent idea what people would want in a final MOD.

So far, Dragon, Seekers, nerfed big exploits, text fix, spells balance....tougher animals, re-spawns, better price on animal skins, claws, teeth, lower Hunting skill cost for odd use to encourage poeple to use them -especially almost removing infinite money and experience exploits, even making immortal flagged characters mortal to kill, and making some immortal if i want, etc. Weaker character starting out for STR and Combat skill. Changes to Exp given to balance out the Three Guilds more (Mages in particular) nerfed the Palidin's Holy Bolt (over powered). Placed some Orc Shamans -were originally warroirs- in the mix at castle to hit you so you must keep moving to fight them exploit, ranged weapon damage and how Dragons and stuff react better and chase you down, stuff like that.

I thought to just release my basic text MOD. THen a Mod that has more just Dragons and seekers tougher, then a MOD that has exploits removed.

It is all the same gothic.dat file. It kind of is a 'all or what do you want ' in it Mod or mods. They are each about 1 meg long. They can be mixed with each other, but generally you would want to upgrade them in succesion, but not neccesary. Just replace one, play it, and if not like it, replace it with another one.

It sounds confusing, but it is actually simple. I can modify the game.dat and what changes would be the greatest to put in it to make a final great MOD? I thought to ask people and build simple ones, then more added in, then more etc.

**Maeby you could give mages a chance to get a decent magic weapons for close combat, ie staff of fire for instance.,if you hit with it, the enemy would suffer some magical damage...dunno if this is even possible to do**

Just make some unused weapons in game (you can change pictures) and make the requirement Mana based instead of STR or DEX. With a bigger hit. But I think they did not want to make a battle mage, but what the heck. it can be done....you can even change the type of damage done to fire based or magic, (if i could parse in new script I could add Special FX to it). See the Holy Hammer from Monestary is like that to kill the Golem.
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:06 am
mawhonic89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cool I wouldn't have anything against it trying out you script/mod
I used to play alot of mods with Morrowind... But then I bought Gothic II, and I have kinda fallen in love with it

Morrowind's landscape is very boring, very little varieted.
But has a great lot of details, but too much reading
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:18 am