Wiz8 needs more life...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Wiz8 needs more life...

is it me or does this game seem a lil sterile...like, each town has no more than 5 people with more than a 1 sentence answer...and yet the place didnt feel empty and I think I got it....they make the place seem busy by sending out 12 man patrols that push you back and block your way on a narrow pass. But theres no wandering townsfolk, no drunks, no kids laughing and running, no old women talking of the past, no sounds of townlife in the background, its just you, your footsteps and impending death lol.
In every rpg I ever played, I've always found a lil place to call my own, a place to recall to or to head for before the sun left the sky and I could filter through all my looted plunder and distribute throughout the party, what to scrap, what to sell, and what to save for pending quests, in other words a place I 'clicked' with...
I cant seem to find that in Wiz 8 (or is it just me). As an example my 'base' isnt at Arnika at all, its by the 4 portal device in the Lower Marten buff for Strategic Reasons.
Did the people of this game make summoner, cause they are very similar in many ways
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: Wiz8 needs more life...

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
is it me or does this game seem a lil sterile...like, each town has no more than 5 people with more than a 1 sentence answer...and yet the place didnt feel empty and I think I got it....they make the place seem busy by sending out 12 man patrols that push you back and block your way on a narrow pass. But theres no wandering townsfolk, no drunks, no kids laughing and running, no old women talking of the past, no sounds of townlife in the background, its just you, your footsteps and impending death lol.
I think you would have a difficult time naming a game that supplied even half of the people you list.
quote:
In every rpg I ever played, I've always found a lil place to call my own, a place to recall to or to head for before the sun left the sky and I could filter through all my looted plunder and distribute throughout the party, what to scrap, what to sell, and what to save for pending quests, in other words a place I 'clicked' with...
I cant seem to find that in Wiz 8 (or is it just me). As an example my 'base' isnt at Arnika at all, its by the 4 portal device in the Lower Marten buff for Strategic Reasons.
Did the people of this game make summoner, cause they are very similar in many ways
Heli tells you to take the room upstairs if you're willing to kill the rogues currently occupying it. I do that, and it becomes my base. There's a chest there to drop items into (the only way to drop quest items), and you're close to 4 different merchants. Your spot is probably the most useful one, but it would never be mistaken for "Home Sweet Home".
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:13 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I always use Antone's bedroom as my base (I kicked him out). I use his chest to store quest items and items that I cannot drop that I do not need anymore (all those Umpani Security Passes, etc.). Then Antone is right there to sell weapons/armor. And the other vendors are close. He'Li's rooms are used for storage. One chest for spare ammo, and one chest for useless ammo.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:40 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

yes Higardi makes the obvious choice for camp but it being the noob starter town, coming back to Antore level after level never gives you any hope of hot new stuff cause all the higher end vendors have it, but their locations are either more out of the way or of even less strategic importance...hmm hard to explain...
example, Gothic...any camp you choose would eaasily make a great base of Ops because...hehe dang I can realyl explain, its not a logical feeling its more mental, its like I 'know' all the NPCs in those town, I know where they are goin and what their worth is to me and the rest of the game...ok now Im babbling...
All I know is when I go to Higardi and its dead quiet except for my footsteps and its 12 noon, and I go to a vendor and they swivel over in my direction like c3p0, Im like..."hmmm, feeling like an abandoned wax museum around here, lol'
They shoulda added some sound effects or *somethin* to increase the atmosphere...hell until I read a lil about the background of that town I would have never known it was the largeest and most advanced city on that planet...
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:52 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree there isn't much 'life' anywhere in the game, plus creatures in the wierdest places, ever wonder what those weeds were doing inside those rooms above the trynnie cheif?? But I agree few games really have much 'life' Gothic and Gothic 2 are special in that way, you feel like your 'home' when you go back to your camp after a couple of days of killing snappers and orc dogs and searching for quest items.
Post Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:31 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Irf
But I agree few games really have much 'life' Gothic and Gothic 2 are special in that way, you feel like your 'home' when you go back to your camp

There we go, another Gothic-freak jumped in to help me out. Well said, Irf, thats what I was trying to get at
There have been many times I'll enter the old or new camp just as the last day's sunlight is leaving the sky and (literally) breath a sigh of relief, as if, "ah home, sweet home" as I gather around a campfire with the rest of the guys and check out the inventory from the day's hunts. After all that, maybe I'll walk around town, see whats going on, then finally head off to my pad (very cool how each camp had its own lil spot set aside for you) for a nights rest
Post Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:19 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you will talk about "not nice things" in Wizardry, there are probably just two:
- sometimes too long fights (I have no problems with this)
- absence of ... (see your post)

However this feeling that I am nowever at home in world of Wizardry wasnt bad thing for me. I was feeling like wandering hero without home, without place to stay in hard times, like hero that is sleeping every night in other place and that is his way.
It was other feeling than in other RPGs that I played (after this one, because this one was my firstone). In Morrowind or in Gothic I simply did not have such a feeling.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:41 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Wiz8 needs more life...

quote:
...theres no wandering townsfolk, no drunks, no kids laughing and running, no old women talking of the past, no sounds of townlife in the background, its just you, your footsteps and impending death...

Hell, I grew up in Los Angeles, I see enough of that crap in real life!

But seriously now, I think Arnika is supposed to have been abandoned by the townsfolk (at least that's how I remember the story line).
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:05 pm
Daniel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If there would be more life in Wiyardry, this game would become anything but Wizardry. This is not the world of contract killers like in Gothic, but a world of magic. When the crowd yells out, the magic disappears.
Ridica doar degetul mijlociu!"

I'm BAD!
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:48 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel
If there would be more life in Wiyardry, this game would become anything but Wizardry. This is not the world of contract killers like in Gothic, but a world of magic. When the crowd yells out, the magic disappears.

...what?

So, in order to hear townsfolks in the background, a door opening/closing, birds chirping, or say...ANYTHING else but my own footsteps, I have to go play the role of a contract killer...like in Gothic...cause Gothic is all about contract killings...

Hmm, too bad they dont offer a brain-check on posts instead of a spell check...tell you what, you get a clue about Gothic, play a few more RPGs maybe, then get back to this thread, cause if think that in a "World of magic" you're only supposed to hear your feet, then you havent played many rpgs friend
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:55 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

In the Realms of Arcania series it was even worse : You saw no-one !

Dialog-boxes told the player that there was townsfolks, but there was only an empty town to be seen.

THAT was empty !

(I mean the german version of it; although I don't think that the english was differentt.)
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:30 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What I *greatly* miss is an Inn for camping along the roads and in the wilderness.

I haven't seen much from this planet yet, so I can't tell whether there exist Inns I haven't seen this far or not.

At least I was greatly disappointed as I saw that the buildings at Arnika Road and Arnika-Tryntoon Road were only places of evil, so to say.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:00 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

That road is very long and difficult.

But when you reach trynton I think it will blow you away. I can remember my experience feeling sort of negative to extremely positive at that juncture.
The game is just so detailed.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:39 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Alrik Fassbauer
What I *greatly* miss is an Inn for camping along the roads and in the wilderness....

Yeah, and I wish there were a few strip clubs hosting girls of all races.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:01 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm advancing through the game, and my party is currently in Trynton.

There are two things I had in mind when entering the tree-town of Trynton :

First, it reminded me *very much* of the tree-town of the Ewoks in Star Wars : Return of the Jedi.

Second I realized that in the above mentioned movie there is a *lot* of townsfolk, which simply isn't there in Wizardry 8. A lot of houses, but no inhabitants.

I'd which more "townsfolk" for another installment of the Wizardry saga, more interaction in terms of what you see in everyday town (your own, for example).

To me, it is kind of sad, seeing such a wonderfuil environment in this game, which seems to be inhabitated only by warriors, chiefs, and shopkeepers.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:47 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next