Xbox or PS2 or just stick to my PC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Xbox or PS2 or just stick to my PC?

I'm kinda wondering if I should invest in a gameconsole like the Xbox or PS2.
I have this pretty good PC already and can play lots of games on it but with the new "gameconsole only" games out there (Fable for example) I'm concidering buying a gameconsole.
So I have a couple of questions:

1. Xbox or PS2? which one has the better games you think?

2. Do those console games eventually come out for the PC?

3. Should I just stick with my PC or does a gameconsole opens up new stuff to me that I will never get on a PC?

Thanks
Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:52 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

If your mainly interested in RPGs, don't get a XBox. It doesn't have one decent RPG that won't be available on PC in the future. KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire are coming to PC, and there is a lot of talk of a Fable conversion. Fable was one of the reasons I brought the XBox, and it wasn't worth it for the that game alone. DOn't get me wrong, Fable is fun, but there are better games out there. I was debating getting a P2 for the Final Fantasy games, and sometimes wish I did. Especially with GTA: San Andreas coming out. Most of the big XBoc releases tend to consist of more hype then substance. On the other hand if you like arcade games, XBox has Soul Caliber, Burnout 3 (amazing game), Baldur's Gate : DA 1 and 2, XMen Legends and many more. I'm glad I brought one, but you are not going to get games like Planescape Torment or AoW: Shadow Magic on XBox.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:18 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

As I have been at work for the last 35 years, I probably have more money than sense, so I have a PC an X-Box and a PS2.

I only ever buy RPG's for the PC as the console ones are more hack and slash than the true-blood rpg's.

I use the consoles for action / sporty / driving type games where the controllers are useful (I know you can get them for PC) and I use my PC for my RPG / Strategy type games.

I have bought a few so called rpg's for the xbox and ps2, but they were more arcady than I would like. I did enjoy them (FFX and Sudeki for example), but being an old fashioned kinda guy, I prefer my rpg's a bit slower, shall we say.

If your going to get a console then get a PS2 as there are more titles available. Definitely get Final Fantasy X. Also get the strat guide.....you may need it.

Regards,

Hex
Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:24 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

I'm an elderly multi-gaming-system owner, too , and I'd say it depends on what you want.
Better graphics but less games? Worse graphics but backwards compatibility?
If you're into fighting games, you might want to get both consoles (XBox and PS2). Both have excellent games. As far as racing games go, you're better off with an XBox. Fable is a very entertaining game, so that's another notch for the XBox, but unless you like Japanimation RPGs, consoles will not satisfy your RPG needs at all. Shooters are hell on both systems... I'll never get used to the gamepad I'm afraid, but maybe that's just me.
Both consoles make decent DVD players, but it's mandatory for the PS2 while it's an additional package for the XBox.
In short, sift through a games catalog and decide which games you'd like to play. Then decide on a console.

Perhaps you'll end up with a Game Cube, who knows?
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:19 pm