Sacred, Choosing and developing a character
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Sacred, Choosing and developing a character

I finally got the game and I'm about to start. I'm debating whether to play Seraphim, Wood Elf, or Batlemage.

Will those of you who are already playing, please post your character choice (even of other than the above three) and give your advice about weaknesses and strengths. If you've tried more than one, please contrast them.

I see there's a Battlemage development guide out there, but none for Seraphim or Wood Elf. It would be nice to have one for every character available.

How goes the horse riding in the real game? In the demo, it made no difference if I was on a horse or not. I seemed to go as fast either way. But I did a scan of the Battlemage guide and that states riding is important to a physically weak character who has to run and fight from a distance - a mage of any sort.

Thank you.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:29 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I started with Vampires and still didn’t finish the game (after playing over 60 hr) because I like to uncover every square pixel of blackness and look in every chest, barrel, vase, bookstand etc, not to mention I’m trying to go very slowly to uncover as many Magical Places as possible . I also started with every character and I cover with them slightly more area what was in the demo. I can tell you right now that my second try will be with the Wood Elf then duel wielding Gladiator.

Regarding the horse, no comment here but I’m sure my Elf will have one since she walking really slowly comparing to my Vampirette (she could outrun the wind)
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:27 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
I started with Vampires and still didn’t finish the game (after playing over 60 hr) because I like to uncover every square pixel of blackness and look in every chest, barrel, vase, bookstand etc, not to mention I’m trying to go very slowly to uncover as many Magical Places as possible . I also started with every character and I cover with them slightly more area what was in the demo. I can tell you right now that my second try will be with the Wood Elf then duel wielding Gladiator.

Regarding the horse, no comment here but I’m sure my Elf will have one since she walking really slowly comparing to my Vampirette (she could outrun the wind)

I'm playing the wood elf now. People on the official Sacred board suggest the following skills to maximize. Concentration and weapon Lore are the two most important. After that they recommend Trading, Constitution, Armor, and Agility. Surprisingly, they say don't invest in Ranged Combat because the combos get no benefit from that skill. I didn't but now I wonder if I should. I'm still doing a lot of plain attack at level 8 because it takes time for the specials to rebuild. And the one combo I made isn't very good at all and takes ages to refill.

One person advised raising only the attribute that makes physical regeneration faster. I've been doing both that and mental. And I wasted a lot of attributes during the first 6 level ups just sharing them among the rest, which doesn't seem to do a wood elf that much good.

Characters are penalized for fighting from horseback. I think there must be an across the board horseback fighting penalty for everyone, but fighting with a bow shouldn't be oen of them.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:24 am
ThorMyzrael
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played with the Dark Elf, Serafim, BattleMage, and Nosferatu, and of these caracters I liked the Dark Elf the most. He is much like the Assassin in Diablo II LOD, and has very powerfull skills. His speciality is disabling his oponents, wich makes playing with him very easy : just cast a spell or two, paralyze your enemyes, and then kill them. Very easy. He is also very fast in attacks, and can cause a lot of damage very fast, especialy with two weaponds.

I heard many good things about the Wood Elf also, but some say it's too powerfull, and that playing with her can become boring at times, 'cause you just kill everything on site.

The Serafim is nice also, but the BattleMage has strong offensive spells, and I personaly prefer him.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:43 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

My Battle Mage Rocks! I'm only using and fully developing two four main spells - Ice Ring, Fire Spiral, Healing and Water Form. The rest of the spells I keep if I find a rune, but those four are really the only ones I use, and they are now so powerful...well, Even a frail little mage can have some fun in this game. Plus he has some reasonable combat skills now at level 40. I would say that mastery of this game really does require focusing on a couple of skills and making them REALLY powerful rather than trying to be a generalist.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:31 am
ThorMyzrael
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
I would say that mastery of this game really does require focusing on a couple of skills and making them REALLY powerful rather than trying to be a generalist

I agree. I have a DarkElf at level 30, and I play with him on Gold. He never died, not even once, and that's 'cause I developed only two skills : Multi-Hit and Hard Hit. If I found any other runes, I would trade them for Multi_hit. I only picked two other skills : Battle Fog and Testosteron, but only at lv. 1.

As for my BattleMage, I only used IceRing and MeteorShower, and, ofcourse, Healing. He is only lv. 15, but can kill large groups of lv. 16-17 monsters easly.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:01 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well, I do not have this game yet. However when I read this and other posts, I have feeling, that to play powerful Dark Elf is not really fun.
Possibly it is better to play generalist that is not so powerful, but you will have more fun with him/her.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Hi There!

I want to ask You about the Vampiress. I haven't find out yet what's the benefit of the vampire form except i do more damage. Copuld someone tell me about it?
The other thing is: after a few hits in vampire form her hands begin to glow in red. What's that mean or what's its usage?
Thanks for Your help:)
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:54 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I love the Wood Elf, she is my fave so far!

But...
I am also starting to really enjoy using the Vampiress. Scouter, Im fairly new to using her as well, mine is like level 12. Vampire mode is basically an unarmed uber-damage powerhouse, and access to the Vampire abilities. The main difference so far seems to be the style of play, I dont know what else to tell you. What's the difference between any of the classes? They all deal more damage as they get older, and they all have slightly different ways of dealing it ranged and close combat.

I usually prefer ranged characters, because when I play a game I prefer not to get hit. I feel like a moron just going forward and taking damage while gulping red potions. What's the use for any tactics at all then? The only tactic that is needed is hitting the space bar to gulp another potion. But suprisingly, Im having a good time with the melee combat of the Vampiress. She can summon a wolf and bats to do her bidding, she has some killer leap attacks, and I like her comments and attack noises. She is also using an axe, a weapon I seldom use, and it fits into her character quite well! With a few points dumped into "Axe Skill", she handles the axe quicker than a dagger!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I haven't played Sacred for awhile, but my one and only character IS a vampiress ( about lvl 60 ish I recall ). I'm waiting for patch 1.7 before I re-play.

The key to being a Vampiress .... is of course using vampiric form. In this mode she moves much faster, hits faster, and strikes with massive damage. Vampiric form doesn't last very long, so of course you will want to increase the appropriate skill to correct this.

Vampiresses also get some "summoning" skills/spells eg bats, wolves. Some of these can only be used in vampiric form , whereas others can be used ( but in slightly different ways ) in both human and vampire mode.

Overall, I like the Vampiress as a character class. Yes, she is VERY powerful in vampiric mode ...but this is counter-balanced by its short duration. I agree with some other posters that some other classes like Wood-Elf and Dark-Elf can be less fun ultimately due to their "uberness".

Oh ..and finally, hi to SilkenKidden who I see started this thread back in April Haven't had the time to keep up-to-date with this board ..my loss.
Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:58 pm
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thankx both of you for the reply!
I thought there's life stealing ability in vampiric form, after all she's a vampire. But the extra damage is great. I still don't know what does that red glow on her hand mentioned above. Has anyone of you an idea?
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:55 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

There is a life stealing skill yes. But it isn't that useful. I sometimes use it just to top up my health ( off a weakish enemy ), but usually your best course of action is to go an the offense and deal loads of damage quickly, not to use defensive measures like life leech.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

I had a great time playing Sacred. Just finished a battlemage. Its true, he really rocks big time. I concentrated on 5 skills only.

Ice ring
Fire spiral
Ice shards
Healing
Ghost meadow.

Towards the end, most creatures were easy...perhaps you still got to be careful with the Shaddar death knights.
For me..my favourite attack for most group creatures is ice ring, ice shards then burn with fire spiral.

I am going to start with a new game...still deciding on a new character, perhaps the gladiator
Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:13 pm
Sir Ballen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've read the official forums, where everyone says that seraphim sucks like hell, because she's average at meelee, but her magic skills are very weak, she doesn't have a sensible spell, and she has only a few "exra" slots (rings etc.).

Has anyone played with seraphim? What do you think? My sera is lvl 16, and she's doing quite well, but she has to drink a lot. Can anyone compare it to a gladiator?
Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:47 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've played all the characters, and Wood Elf is by far the easiest character to play through the game with(the multi-hit combat art is bugged, so it does far more damage than it states). Focus on multi-hit, and keep it down to a 1sec regeneration by using as much skills as you can on concentration/physical regeneration. You should go through the game with ease..

The worst character in the game is the Seraphim, not because she stinks, but because she is much more difficult to master. Her advantage is being able to do everything, even though she's not the best at anything.

The BattleMage is probably the most "fun" character, simply because he has far more builds than anyone else(due to the high number of spells). Your first game should not be with a BattleMage, however, since he is rather difficult to master.

The Dark Elf is easy to master, using battle fog as a cheap way of getting through the game. Not much fun though, all in all(you end up ALWAYS using the same strategy).

The Vampire is a lot of fun, and easy to play. The only thing that annoys me about her is the fact that she has a HUGE behind , and always has to take the time to turn into a Vampire(over and over and over).

The Gladiator is just like the Barbarian of Diablo 2. He is easy to master, easy to play through the game with, and a perfect choice for newbies, even though the Woold Elf is probably even easier. He is, at least, the second best choice for a new player.

You decide who to play, but heed this advice - put the Vampiric runes with life leech in the slots of different weapons/armor. Get about 15% life leech, so that you can regain your health through killing your opponent, instead of relying on potions/heal spells. All runes can be used by anyone, and any "multi-hit" put into a slot will give you a multi-hit bonus, even if it is not a rune that is originally for your character.

Good luck!
Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:43 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next