Usergroups
Just thought I might ask
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Airk
Commander*Warrior*Rogue
Commander*Warrior*Rogue

Whenever my friend see's or hear's anything about Gothic we get into this debate/arguement about who's game is better. He praises Hitman(having not played gothic) and I praise Gothic (having not played hitman). It goes no where but it got me thinking about some of the better games that have come out. What game (other than Gothic, if possible) have you had the most fun playing or has been the most enjoyable and why? Or, why is gothic better than hitman and which sequel is going to be bigger?
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hitman was fun, it had a lot of things I enjoy in a game: freedom of action (even though it was a mission based game), innovative enough gameplay, good story.

Here on the Gothic forums I guess most people would prefer Gothic over Hitman . So do I, even though the games aren't too similar.

My favorite games besides Gothic were Daggerfall, Thief 1 and 2, Unreal, HalfLife and about half of the shooters that came out between Wolf3D and C&C Renegade, Planescape: Torment, the Lands of Lore series, Deus Ex, Realms of the Haunting, JA 2, System Shock 1 and 2 and Cybermage (in no particular order).

You see, I'm not a hardcore RPGer - I'm more of the hybrid lover .

=EDIT= I liked some of those games for the thrill they gave me, the pure adrenaline rush (namely the shooters), but most of them for their intricate plotlines/ stories and immersive/ fascinating atmosphere. And then I love unhappy endings, there are a few games among them which have just those.

Oh, I forgot some truly 'exotic' games in my list (at least regarding the rest of my fave games): in the realm of tactics the whole C&C series and Missionforce:Cyberstorm, in the realm of pure adventure Zork: Nemesis and Inquisitor, and The Dig. But the reasons I loved them were similar, distinctive atmospheres.

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-03-08 14:35 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:29 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hitman is a dark, cynical, very innovative sneaker/shooter. It has interesting weapons, hard but fair missions (except the last), a good story and an intense atmosphere.

Some missions are hommages to movies like The Godfather (assassination of the police commissioner) or Scarface.
You canīt save inside the missions (will be changed in Hitman 2). Some of them are quite lengthy.
How it plays:
Lets say you have to infiltrate a heavily guarded camp to retrieve an object and kill a certain person. You find an enemy, kill him, hide him and take his clotes. Then you walk in to find out more. Now your first victim is found and the guards are searching for a suspicious looking guy wearing his clothes. Some guards with other uniforms find you and shoot (noise!). You quickly kill them, take clothes and try to escape to a safer place. Cautious exploration and fast paced bloody action.
All this of course without saving. An interactive thriller.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-03-08 15:22 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:18 pm