View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How do you do it ?

I have all of the following games and maybe a few more that I can't remember:

- Wizardy 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Gold (Wizardy Archives)
- Ultima 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (all of them),8, Underworld 1 & 2 (Ultima Collection also the pre-Ultima one, starts with an A))
- MM 3,6
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind
- Gothic
- Divine Divinity
- Diablo 1 & 2
- Bards Tale 1,2,3, Dragon Wars, Wastelands(whatever else is on the Ultimate RPG Collection)
- Stonekeep
- Magic Candle 1 & 2
- Soulbringer
- Dungeon Seige
- BG 1 and BGII SoA
- Planetscape: Torment
- Realms of Arkania II Star Trail
- Deus Ex
- Thief

Like I said, I probably got a few more (Eye of the Beholder, etc...) heck some are on 5 1/4" floppies

Problem is.......I've never finished any of these games ! Ever !

How the heck do you guys do it ??
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:30 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Alot of spare time on my paws ='.'=

Tigers have a very relaxed schedule
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:33 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: How do you do it ?

quote:
Originally posted by Nukester
I have all of the following games and maybe a few more that I can't remember:

- Wizardy 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Gold (Wizardy Archives)
- Ultima 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (all of them),8, Underworld 1 & 2 (Ultima Collection also the pre-Ultima one, starts with an A))
- MM 3,6
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind
- Gothic
- Divine Divinity
- Diablo 1 & 2
- Bards Tale 1,2,3, Dragon Wars, Wastelands(whatever else is on the Ultimate RPG Collection)
- Stonekeep
- Magic Candle 1 & 2
- Soulbringer
- Dungeon Seige
- BG 1 and BGII SoA
- Planetscape: Torment
- Realms of Arkania II Star Trail
- Deus Ex
- Thief

Like I said, I probably got a few more (Eye of the Beholder, etc...) heck some are on 5 1/4" floppies

Problem is.......I've never finished any of these games ! Ever !

How the heck do you guys do it ??

HOLY CRAP!

you have so many games!

Patience and even more patience.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:58 am
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hehe, thats just the CRPG's (and a few FPS/RPG types) that I got that I can remember off the top of my head. Theres still things like:

- Ages of Wonder
- Empire Earth
- The Sims
- Heroes of MM (a couple of them)
- Warlords (3rd one?)

and above even my love of RPG's are the sports games. I got more of them than even RPG's ! Im a pack rat though so I still have games around from like the mid-late 80's early 90's

Never ever ever finished any of my RPG's though (or even the stratagy ones either now that I think about it) !
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:23 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Often I don't even realise I've finished a game until the end creddits start rolling. If it was a really good game I am unhappy I have finished so I start again.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:35 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Finished most of them and a few more, like the rest of the M&M games. I've playing a LONG time!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:53 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I used to not even really care about finishing a game completely, mainly in the console days, but ever since I got into serious pc gaming Ive made a point of finishing every one that I can provided I keep interest.Sometimes I put down the game for 6 months or a year before I come back to it. I got 3/4 thru NWN, and there it sits, ill prolly pick up where i left off and finish up any day now. Usually, it is an inner sense of competition with myself. Other people go thru their day thinking, "what am I going to have for dinner, whats on the agenda tonight...". Me, im thinking "When I get home, [insert arch-badguy's name] ass is grass, and Im the lawnmower".

I think this may be part of the reason my last few intimate relationships eventually have not went as well as they should have.Some women just dont understand or appreciate the importance of ridding the world of a malevolent arch-demon from hell or rogue necromancer. ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:45 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Nukester
... I've never finished any of these games ! Ever ! How the heck do you guys do it ??

I always finish my games because it's my habit to finish them off before i go out to buy more new games.

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
... I think this may be part of the reason my last few intimate relationships eventually have not went as well as they should have.Some women just dont understand or appreciate the importance of ridding the world of a malevolent arch-demon from hell or rogue necromancer. ='.'=

Female gamer are still very rare. They would scoff at you if you pay more attention to games instead of them...
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:27 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx

I think this may be part of the reason my last few intimate relationships eventually have not went as well as they should have.Some women just dont understand or appreciate the importance of ridding the world of a malevolent arch-demon from hell or rogue necromancer. ='.'=

I am very lucky, my wife (even though she detests the idea of computer gaming) will ask me "So, have you saved the world yet? Or should I start another book?". She is very understanding of the joy I derive from converting the arch enemy into fertilizer (which allows grain to grow to feed the antelopes to feed the tigers of the world *grin*).
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:21 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

or glorious acres of catnip! ='.'=
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm... I wonder if my future significant other will understand my gaming habit...
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:38 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

To be honest, I dont finish many games either..........

I think the only game I can remember finishing was Fallout 1.

I shant bore you with my list, but they would be most of the decent CRPG's that have been around for the past 10 years.

Do many people really finish every game they buy??.....truth now, or do you move onto the next good thing??

Is it that about 75% of the wat through a game, it gets a bit "samey" ?

You get the feeling that you have done it and seen it and you now want to do something different?

Lets face it, some of these games, if you play moderately, can take months.

I only (?) spend about 15 hours a week playing games and that alternates between my two loves, RPG's and RTS's.

I played Divine Divinity totally for ages and all of a sudden....I didnt want to play it anymore. I dont think I was that far from the end, but the appeal had waned.

Do you guys stick at one game until the end, or like me, do you tend to have a few on the go at the same time?

Also, how many hours per week do you play?

Regards,

Hex
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:10 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I actually finish most rpgs I get my hands on. Like the only games I've never finished are Wizards and Warriors + Nethack + Ultima 9, because I can't stand them.
I never restart (I play with the first character/party I make) unless I've done something horribly wrong or missed something very important, and I rarely start with another game before I finished the first.
I almost never replay games... I did it with Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but that's probably it.
But I try to do ALL sidequest etc. so a long game can take about one month or so for me to finish.
I play pretty often too... a couple of hours per day.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:54 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I've finished nearly every RPG and FPS I've bought, although my completion rates on other titles (like RTS) is lower. I feel satisfied when it's finished - sort of sit back and think "Wow..that was great". On the other hand I almost never replay a game.

I do feel a desire to move on to the next best thing, so I try to pick only the "big" titles and space them a little - although sometimes I can't resist that latest game even though I haven't finished the last one.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:28 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My goal is to finish each game I buy, and it's depressing when I can't finish a game. It rarely happens, however. The only games I didn't finish were those which bored me out of my mind (like NWN) or were too hard for my taste (like Dungeon Master II - I play games for instant relief and don't want to take days to figure out spell combos). Generally I'm not too fond of very long games; I want a realistic chance of finishing one before my interest shifts to the newer games coming out.
In the early days of gaming I used to replay most of my games; nowadays - with a much bigger market - I'm glad if to finish them once.

Oh right, so far I finished all my shooters and RTSes (with the notable exception of Angst which was the worst game I ever, ever played - and badly programmed at that), it's far easier to bore me with a mediocre CRPG.
Post Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:50 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next