FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Shadowbane (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
Johnnyflash

I have to agree, too. Shadowbanes graphics are really horrid. The character models are the WORST. The character models are even behind EQ1. I don't know how people can say the graphics rock. They are HORRID. And yeah yeah yeah graphics don't make up a game, but I'll still to my other mmrpg's, WoW will crush all anyway.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:00 pm

Mack Attack

Wow=Kiddy game <br>Shadowbane=Mature Game for hardcore Pkers...like my self <br>Case closed
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:45 am

Ammon777

Is that your first post at this site? LOL
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:19 am

Ammon777

and who says you get to close the case? The game isnt out yet, so it has to remain open, mr. PKer-d00d. If you mean "mature" as in gameplay mature, i would have to agree. But if you mean "mature" as in most you "hardcore PKers" being mature -- that is, responsible for your actions -- I dont think so: "D00d! I sooooo owned you!" LOL mature LOL
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:24 am

shayme

Mature? If what you mean by mature is in dark and pk-feasting, then yes, Shadowbane is more mature than World of Warcraft. But since when does that make a better game. Look at Zelda or Final Fantasy, some of the greatest series ever fathomed, they are a far cry from "mature", in fact, they are almost silly often, yet amazing. You're arguement is one big hole. Hope that's "mature" enough for you. dOOd. (lol Ammon777)
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:26 pm

Vasch

Pkers think to like they are mature, after all... they need the ego boost to make up for their inadequecies.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:47 pm

Gaalomere

Shadowbane sounds like it has loads of potential.. maybe more then alot of upcoming MMORPGs.. that said.. the graphics are truly horrid. .. hopefully other aspects of the game are more impressive then the screenshots!
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:00 am

overbyte

no, it's mature as in wolfpack have created an environment that allows people to affect the world (towns cities etc) around them and then enforcing their own agenda and set of politics on that environment rather than running around slaying n00bs and typing "I OWNED YOU... oh my mum wants me to go to bed". IMnotHO that type of play takes depth and maturity that galaxies seems to start to go for (with player owned shops) and WoW doesn't even scratch the surface of. <br> <br>i will, of course be playing all of the above when they come out <br> <br>;oB
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:53 pm

Shayme

Nicely said Gaalomere. I may seem like a SB basher, but it does have interesting idea's. Although many many upcoming mmorpg's are doing similar things. AC2 without a single NPC, Horizons, the list really does go on, Shadowbane isn't one of a kind, only the one to come out fist of the kind. (did that make sense?) lol. Anyway. World of Warcraft isn't concentrating on a real-time environment that can be affected by players. They are taking the mmorpg back to it's simplicity. They want a game that is simply pure fun, without all the riff raff to worry about, and we all know Blizzard is ingenious with a greater following than even Sony or Verant put together. Good luck SB. Improve those graphics! I'm not worried WoW will potentially sell MILLIONS, as all their games do.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:52 pm

Shayme

On a side note, I just saw Warcraft III is the fastest selling game of all time, with over a million copies already sold, and 4.4 million shipped. But that is neither here nor there. I am only letting you WoW bashers know I am not concerned, because WoW will be the most successful mmorpg ever created.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:55 pm

sansong

I've been following the discussion in this thread so I just wanted to give my two cents. I've played EQ, UO (almost nothing to this one), AO, DAOC and Black Moon beta, so know a little about MMORPGs : <br> <br> First, the graphic sucks, there's no way to deny it. I've heard that recently there has been an overhaul on ground and building textures in terms of resolution, but I'm not sure. However, they are almost like EQ1 pre-Shadows of Luclin. They are one year late in terms of technology. <br> <br> But second, in paper, Shadowbane should be the best MMORPG ever, even over other games like SW: Galaxies, EQ2, WoW, and perhaps the only one close could be Asheron Call 2. Let me explain why. <br> <br> I do consider Shadowbane and Asheron Call 2 the first two games that could be considered '2nd generation MMORPG' . I do not consider AO and DAOC to be so however. And this is because I consider that a true second generation MMORPG gives the control of the world to gamers, and the content of the game is created by them, not handed to them. AO and DAOC improved vastly the way the experienced of game content is delivered and played compared to EQ, however content is not created by them, and that happens also in all the previous MMORPGs to these, so they just give a great improvement, but not a new revolution. <br> <br> In Asheron Call, you build the world from its ruins, and there are no traders, no guards, the cities are built and managed by gamers. However, Shadowbane is in concept far more revolutionary, and that's why is the most mature game of them all. <br> <br> You can build your cities, control almost completely the geography and borders of the land, invade territories,have realistic economy, grow to an empire, do politics between cities, manage taxes, stablish guards, siege cities, create and manage shops, stablish complex battle strategies, etc, all player controlled. It's more of a real world feudal simulation than anything. The players will create the experience they are playing at, since almost all that surrounds them should be player created and managed. <br> <br> And thus, it's more mature than any other game because the alltime d00d pker wont succeed in this game at all. You need to become part of a clan to become succesful, and management in the scale of an empire in terms of politics, warfare and economy is far more adult oriented than the usual kill/rest/repeat fest. Succesful organisation will be key to grow your city into an empire and to keep it up there. Stupid pkers will always exist, but this would lead them nowhere in Shadowbane, since in such a PK game, he will probably be chased by the clan he belongs to. <br> <br> So don't get lost in the ugly graphics, Shadowbane, at least on paper, has everything to become perhaps the best MMORPG of them all.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:10 pm

Brytac

What worries me is that a gang of 100 DooDZ (or whateve the little game spoiling tossers call themselves) CAN suceed in the game. <br> <br>I can just see it now. Man our FOrceZ rOXXoreD youR TO\/\/N to the ground. <br> <br>God...please let the server I choose be free of people like that. <br> <br>SURE.. ITS FINE to play evil characters in an evil city. But hiding behind an evil empire is no excuse to act like a XXXX and trash talk others about who 'owned' who. <br> <br>I wait in hope. <br>
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:36 pm

shayme

Nicely done sansung. And I'd have to say I agree for the most part. My one message was how does a mature game equal a better game, but no matter. Shadowbane has a lot going for it. It really does. Will it succeed or will it fail? I'm not sure. Open PK turns a lot of people off including myself. I don't want a game based on revenge. "Someone killed me for the fun of it guild, go kill him back!" Ok done. "Someone killed me from this guild because they said I unlawfully killed one of theirs, lets go kill em back again." ok done. "someone killed me from the other guild because they said we killed on of their guild for killing one our own guild and back again..... HUH????????" Look's like one big chain of kill, be killed, kill, be killed. I don't want to get involved in some guild just to have protection and vengence.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:03 pm

Ammon777

I dont care for WOW. Its not second-generation, its first gen. <br> <br>Shadowbane has potential only because of advanced features. If you really want to play a game with the newest (and coolest) features, give SW:Galaxies a try. I am a total fanboy of SWG because of its second generation features, not only because of a passing glance at its sweet graphics. There are more things you can do in SWGs than in any MMORPG that is coming out right now. <br> <br>HORIZONS... that game is dead, along with its initial fanbase. I remember when HORIZONS was a dream-game. Now its just your typical crap.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:08 am

Ammon777

and Shayme, you pointed out what will be the best case scenario, lol
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:09 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next