What is the appeal of a MMORPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

What is the appeal of a MMORPG?

I've had only one experience with online RPG's (EQ) and it was less than satisfying, to say the least. So I have a question for all of you MMORPG devotees out there. What draws you to your favorite MMORPG games... what keeps you coming back?
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:03 pm
Praecantrix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well...

Probably the most interesting thing about MMORPG's is that more communication is involved. Also, the Economy is directly affected by players in many MMORPG's. The biggest factor and draw in an MMORPG would be that your playing w/ real people, not scripted AI.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:07 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

The game world usually is big, occupied by thousands of fellow human players. You can either work with them, or work against them (PvP, player versus player fights). I am sure the PvP aspects of these games draw many of us in to the MMORPGs.

I myself am not very interested in PvP kind of play. I am a explorer and socializer mostly. I like to find new places, teach people how to solve certain quests in the world, show of my new shiny equipment while standing near a local armory etc..

The worlds develop their own Economy as you said. It is completely something different than in single player games where you just drag your loot to the nearest shop and sell them for gold. It is very hard to explain unless one has experienced it..

Oh, by the way, Praecantrix, welcome to RPGDot forums!
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:19 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Personally i never played any MMORPGs, but i did heard that it's very addictive kind of game. I have read some articles 2-3 years ago about some players who was so much involved in EQ's gameworld that they ignore their own family, friends, girl/boy friend & such.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:24 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is only one thing that matters in MMOG. Social interaction. All else is but a medium. Economics, PvP... none of it matters. It's all just a means to an end.

Some people come to be the most powerful. Some come to abuse others. Some come to help others. Some come to be unique. Some come to escape. Some come because everybody else came. Everybody came to be somebody or something. To eek out a new existance in a virtual world. Whatever that is. Ultimately, they all came to be respected. Somehow by somebody. When they can't be or aren't, they leave and go elsewhere.

In EQ it was all about your size (level) and equipment. In DAoC you could also garner respect through being a very (and I mean VERY) high level crafter as well as a leader of a large guild. In AO (early days) you could also gain certain amount of respect through purely social means as that game actually had idle social hang out places, as well as a decent amount of infrastructure supporting such behaviour (I don't know of any other game that had specific areas and items meant solely for social gatherings). I don't know UO, but I heard some people could bake a mean cake there.

Bottom line, everybody in MMOGs wants to know and be known. Not necessarily by everyone, but it sux to be a stranger. The same impulse that drives us to be here.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:24 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I agree with that, MoonDragon. Plus would like to add my personal reasons for playing them: is that I play them to have Fun, hehe.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:36 pm
Fionn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mmorpg

I think the best thing that makes MMORPG's unique is just the grandness. You start out a low newbie and can become very powerful in the end. It takes a lot more time and dedication than a normal rpg game and there tends to be no end. Its like living in another world.

Everquest was not a bad game. A lot of people give it crap but you have to understand that game is near 3 years old. It was the basis for every other MMORPG coming out. Some may say UO was the basis..but I think it started with EQ. The character creation, the look of your characters and how you viewed them either looking from above or through their eyes. Seeing this wide world were you are actiually in danger and dying had consiquences. No saved games here folks. You run out in a field and not know whats out there..you might not come back.

EQ set the standard. Its old..I played it for 2 years and finally got bored with it. But I also beleive that its RPG characteristics still hold true. The graphics have lost touch and I expect Everquest 2 to come into play because of this. A lot of people leave EQ before the game even becomes fun. Joining large or powerful guilds and taking on Dragons or Gods that take 70 online players all high level to actually defeat puts you in a world were you cannot kill stuff by yourself. You need help and the loot is damn good. Makes Carrion Bows in Diablo 2 look like cup cakes. You can solo if you so choose depending on your class but you can also be very beneficial.

I will not lie. MMORPGs are addictive. They suck you up like a vaccum cleaner. A lot of people if they dont have will power can get hurt emotionally by this game if they follow that set path. Its honestly like another world to live in, one that does not have the daily toil and bs that reality has.

Anyways, I could make a novel on MMORPGs but I think that genre in games is just taking off and soon they will become very promising in the future.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:24 pm