Members
Usergroups
It's a small world after all...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Gofer

It's a small world after all...

I have been playing Morrowind for a few days now and I can get over the "kiddie game" aspect of it. But it is disappointing to discover the world is so tiny. I was expecting Dark Age of Camelot type exploration. But each town is just a little hop, skip and jump away from each other.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 11:33 pm

Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Four words....

Get off the roads.

You may think that the world is small because you have only seen the view from the road. Do some exploration. You will find quite a bit of real estate that you haven't seen before.

Zaal

Yes, that's my face; I'm constipated.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:00 am
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Exarctly. You will see all these, new places and shiny new items. Of course, these shiny new objects are often in the hands of people wishing to kill you, but...

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:05 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

LOL!

Small...yeah, ok.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:24 am
Jellyfish

It never ceases to amaze me - some people's seemingly unlimited ability to complain.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 4:44 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

From what I had heard, I think that if MW world would be even bigger, I will rather play Dungeon Siege with its linearity... :]
Post Tue May 21, 2002 6:25 am
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree get off the roads and explore.then the world really comes to life as you find tombs with stuff like orc armour in them:)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:44 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Considering that you have to compare Morrowind with a MASSIVE MORPG to come up with something for a size comparison does nothing to disuade my opinion that Morrowind is large. Sure, Anarchy Online was a lot bigger... but MMORPGs play by a whole different rulebook.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:11 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

One of the main reasons why I quit Everquest was that is was way to big. This land is also freakin big but at least I have ways to get around and it doesn't take to long to get around but I have played my guy for over a hundred days game play and I have still yet to cover about 30% of the total land. I still need to hit like all these other lands. I would not like this land to be any bigger.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:36 pm
Denethorn

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Considering that you have to compare Morrowind with a MASSIVE MORPG to come up with something for a size comparison does nothing to disuade my opinion that Morrowind is large. Sure, Anarchy Online was a lot bigger... but MMORPGs play by a whole different rulebook.

90% of the HUGE cities in AO was used for missions.

Never really got past lvl5 so I never left Omni-1

lol... trade district... the only place with anything worth looking at was a tiny market square in the centre.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:32 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I was level 65. My missions took me everywhere, I thought, and I still didn't explore about 9/10ths of the zones.

Since I wasn't one of the ones blessed enough to find a Yalmaha cruiser I was on foot... and every time I left the closest point of grid access and civilization the falling of my Atrox's heavily armored feet would remind me of the opening to that song 'I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more....'

It could take an hour or more to get to a mission site. Once they 'fixed' it it took an hour or more in the mission because only casters could hurt things because the mob armor was #*(&$(*# up. Then an hour or more back to where you were. Hope you don't die.

Three hours in Morrowind is enough to run around the world (sooner if you use the roads)... and that's NOT A BAD THING!!!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 7:42 pm
Kaos503
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Do like I did, a 'round morrowind trip'. It took me almost a game month. I went Vivec->Molag Mar->Sadith Mora->Vos->Vas->Ald Ruhn->Caldera->Balmora->Seyda Neen->Vivec

Sorry if I got Molag Mar wrong, But its a 'vivec' style town in between vivec and Sadith Mora. I'm forgot the name :p

Then tell me that the island isn't big!
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:07 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok....the island isn't big. It's really not. It's realatively small (which brings up the question of how the weather is so localized). The only reason it took you a month game time is because time in the game moves much faster than in real life. That's not saying a lot. Some people were hoping for a larger world. You might not think it needs it, but I would have liked to have seen it. Particulary if the game allowed you to ride some sort of mount to move around. But everyone has their wish list.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 8:26 pm
Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think you should judge a game by the size of its real eatate but rather how much there is to do. Sure Morrowind is a lot smaller than daggerfall but then imho there was no point in seeing much of daggerfall because it was all the same.

It would probably not have been difficult to make Morrowind three times the size by just spread things out more but let me ask the question what is the benefit in having to walk three times as far to find something to do. Personally I find that I spend long enough walking places and I don't wish to spend three times a long doing the same thing.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:26 pm

bigger=better?

Games like AO and DAOC do boast huge worlds.
They also boast massive stretches of dead space.
In DAOC, you could pass through several frontier zones without ever seeing another person.
Most people spend thier game time in the hot spot zones and dungeons, which take up maybe 10% of the world.
Morrowind has a fair plot of land,which is content heavy.
Sure, it only takes about 10 min. to run to one town or another,but is this really a bad thing.
If one wanted to,they could pick a direction and just explore and get lost for sure.
Is Morrowind smaller than some Rpg worlds? Yes.
IMHO, I think it's for the better.
V.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:26 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next