Just beat Ultima IX: Ascension
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Just beat Ultima IX: Ascension

I must tell you guys, this is, by far, the best rpg I've ever played. Yes, it is riddled with bugs, but I urge to save often and move on, use cheats if you have to (flying to reach objects that you need to complete a quest that you wouldn't be able to reach without using the cheats -- bugged). I've played them all -- Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, Final Fantasy VII, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 2, Sacred, etc. This game was extremely fun, and the graphic engine is amazing considering it's a 1999 release.

Just make sure that you have 1.19F patch installed. The link to that patch is somewhere on this ultima forum. I played it earlier, but the bugs were too drastic. But after buying the 7th Anniversary Ultima Online, I was able to give it a second chance. This game has great music, great plot, great soundfx, and for those who love visual spell effects, this is the game for you. I'd easily place is side by side with Final Fantasy VII. The ability to make potions, along with other stuff just rocks. This is the one game that truly masters the Lightning Bolt. Neverwinter Nights came close, but this one is just jaw-dropping. The lightning sound effects are great too. This game feels like a virtual reality game with the engine and fully customizable view, both 1st and 3rd.

So all of you that haven't tried it, I urge you to begin as soon as possible. Download patch 1.19F, save very often, and use avatar fly if need be to get those runes that are too high above the altar. If anyone encouters any problems post and I'll put in my too cents. Enjoy the journey.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:57 am
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Yes, the 1,19 patch is a must have. As you might have read from the news page, we released an early version of our U9 Guide, wich covers the installation of patches as well.

Would argue agains the use of the cheat commands, as it is very well possible they do not only solve, but also cause bugs, as you will mis some cruxial flags or triggers.

U9 is not very stable, but I am replaying it at the moment an find it more stable and less bug-ridden than some people reported. I just left moonglow and had only one major crash and and a corruptes safe game. And no real bugs so for (just some things that are annoying, but work as desgned).

Could you give some examples of real bugs you encountered? I would like to cover the in future release of our guide.

Parcival
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:15 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Spoiler Alert !!

Here is a list of the bugs that I encountered:

1. After cleansing a shrine, the rune and the sigil would be 20 feet above the shrine. There was no way I could reach it, so I would always have to use the avatar_fly cheat to get them.

2. Also, I would get occasional terminations to windows after various events. Keep in mind that I used avatar_fly cheat alot and I created a replenish mana cheat and would use that as well.

a. In Moonglow, when talking to the mage, he tells you that he seeks an object in a certain cave, then the camera pans to a frontal view of the entrance to the cave. After returning to the view of the converstation, it terminates.

b. Random stuff, like after killing a skeleton in the Blackrock Mines near Cove. Also, it would terminate after I killed the mini boss on the 2nd level of these mines, the one that you need the saber you find under the bridge. However, if I approached the skeleton lord from a different path, say near the left side of the tunnel, instead of the right side, it would not terminate. Like I said, very random, but usually after killing an enemy.

3. Another bug I encoutered was Raven not showing up at the docks in Britain like she's supposed to after you complete Wrong, the prison. To counter this, I used avatar_fly and went to the next location.

4. Also, in Deceit, I had problems with the wyrmguard at the end of Deceit. After killing the dog, the bridge pops up from the lava. You cross it, but no event triggers as you approach the wyrmguard. He just stood there, so I took him out hehe.

5. Then there's a plot bug in Valoria. When you enter, you talk to Merathanon and he asks you to go retrieve the Tome of the Triumvirate in a nearby cave. Once you retrieve the tome, you come back only to find him sick. His wife asks you for assistance in healing him. However, according to the guide, she's supposed to eventually heal him herself (It's a test of Valor, the virtue that's associated with the town). However, she never does heal him. But the main quest can still be completed despite this. Also, in Valoria, when you try and persuade Sir Lambert and Sir Artos to help you fight the Demon Triumvirate, Sir Lambert explains that he has not the necessary skill. The ghost of his brother is right next to him and is supposed to initiate a converstation with Sir Lambert at a certain point. It took me awhile to trigger this event. I simply reloaded a saved game to the beginning of quest in Valoria. I redid everything slowly, making sure that in each conversation, I would ask every question or say all that I could.

Those are the major bugs. Hope this helps. I would be glad to answer any other questions.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:38 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, I've ran into several of those bugs. Especially the first one.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:12 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Oh man, still sounds like tons of bugs, sigh!
Just when I was getting up to trying it, thou im glad you mentioned these things. I would rather know than think things would run/work at least fairly smoothly, than find out while playing and want to pull my hair out.

I can only hope for a very detailed guide, so I would know if a quest is being broken asap, so as not to find out 2 hours later that so and so was spose to do/say HO, instead of HA

Any links to detailed walkthrus, would be appreciated

thartanian what guide are you refering to ?

Also in reference to using the codes, are there codes to insert different items/weapons/armors in case of bugs?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:16 pm
Parcival

This guide: http://ultima.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&infoID=161&pageID=465&sid=d94a92f59059b72035cfd0e2a0afd017

- Links to detailed walkthrougs are in it.
- Warning: most of those contain just too many spoilers. Were working on a
- Dont use cheat codes: the CAUSE bug
- Some of the bugd mentione abouve might be caused by the use of cheat codes
- yes there are codes to inser object that are crucial to the game; in case you lose them. Ist not easily done. drop me a line if you need/want some links and more info.

In general: you can avoid most trouble by installing patch 1.19 and reading the guide mentioned above. There sure still are bugs, but most of them are 'design issues' not 'code errors' or 'plot stoppers'.

Good luck and Have fun

Parc
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:32 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for the link, as I mentioned in your Feedback thread, I had just found your Guide yesterday.
So I got and found it very helpful, keep up the great work

Personally, I would rather have spoilers than not know a quest if broken an play for hours.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:32 am
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Just beat Ultima IX: Ascension

quote:
Originally posted by thartanian
I must tell you guys, this is, by far, the best rpg I've ever played.

Have you played many of the earlier Ultimas?

:? WtFD
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:58 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
I must tell you guys, this is, by far, the best rpg I've ever played.

You must not have played Gothic or Gothic 2, at least most people mention they are better, thou im getting a late start on U9, due to so many bugs at launch.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:59 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

No, this is the only ultima game I've played, besides ultima online, which I think rox. I bought the ultima collection but haven't been able to run it since I have windows xp. I tried running it on my old 333 with win 98 but I can't get the sound to work. I'm working on it though, cause I've heard great things about ultima 7.

Yes, I've played gothic 1 and 2. They are good, but somehow wasn't as exciting as ascension. The music in gothic sucked. The spells were ok, but the imagination and classic "zelda style" stuff in ascension just rocked. The music plays a big role in my book. Just like how the music helped in FF7. Nevertheless, Ultima Ascension is my favorite rpg by far, then FF7. I have a feeling that once I get ultima 7 to run, this would fall into number 3.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:40 am
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

No, this is the only ultima game I've played, besides ultima online, which I think rox.

The original UO was novel, but later ones have gotten further and further from the tradition of Ultima. But that's just an old Dragon griping about something that he can't change.

quote:

I bought the ultima collection but haven't been able to run it since I have windows xp. I tried running it on my old 333 with win 98 but I can't get the sound to work. I'm working on it though, cause I've heard great things about ultima 7.

The Ultima Community has the solution. To run Ultima 7, you should check out Exult. It's a re-worked engine for Ultima 7 that allows it to run in expanded-memory enviroments (which most operating systems now have).

It's funny when I think about Ultima 7...it's a dozen years old, and it still sets the bar for world interactivity in an RPG. I've never played another game with the same sort of comprehensive NPC schedules and the nitpicky little world-interactivity features. It's the only game I know of where you can bake bread...just because you want to!

WtFD
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:00 am
deadite
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*shudders while thinking of the disco music at the end of U9*
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:30 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

What disco music? I don't remember hearing any.
Oh and you can cook bread in ultima online. In fact, as a gm cook you can make cakes for weddings and such. It's a great game.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:56 am
Redstone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just an FYI...I have played the game through with patch 1.18 just fine, so it can be done. I am not recommending it., just stating a fact.
Also regarding the rune and the sigil stuck up in the air, another option besides messing with cheats to fly, is build a ladder out of your inventory. You can stack and climb just about any item in the game.

One more thing, besides corrupt games here and there which are easily fixed using the method mentioned in the guide, the game runs virtually bug free on newer computers. Just save often.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:40 pm
Withstand the Fury
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Redstone

Just an FYI...I have played the game through with patch 1.18 just fine, so it can be done. I am not recommending it., just stating a fact.
Also regarding the rune and the sigil stuck up in the air, another option besides messing with cheats to fly, is build a ladder out of your inventory. You can stack and climb just about any item in the game.

1.18?!?! Piff! Get the 1.19 patch. It improves the game's DirectX support by a fair margin. And kills a couple more bugs in the process. Oh, the game is relatively playable with 1.18, but I've found that other DX-native graphics chipsets (i.e. anything but the old 3DFX Voodoo 2/4/whatevers) have cache-clearing problems that will eventually slow the game to a crawl. This gets a bit of a fix with the 1.19 patch.

quote:
Originally posted by Redstone

One more thing, besides corrupt games here and there which are easily fixed using the method mentioned in the guide, the game runs virtually bug free on newer computers. Just save often.

That's relatively true...I have reams of problems making it cooperate with Windows 98 and comparitively few under XP or 2000. It has less to do with the age of the computer, I think, as it does with the age of the Operating System.

WtFD
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next