My Kult Review after 1.2 patch
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

My Kult Review after 1.2 patch

I have watched Kult's progress since it was first announced in 2001 and to be honest i have not expected to see it on store shelves. Because most of the RPG games that been made by small companies can not see the sun. But, Kult made it. While, i can not play well on Win98 before patch 1.2, after the patch the game became totally playable in my machine. All the crashes and the container problems have gone and the framerates have increased considerably. So, patch 1.2 is a must have who want to play Kult on Win98.
First, i want to begin with it's graphics. They are so good, beautifully rendered 2d background graphics are a sight to see. Every place and location is different from another. Also, characters and monsters' graphics are really nice. Zoom function is the best among other RPGs (Sacred or Beyond Divinity). Totally functional. Water and fog effects all very nice. There are some clipping problems but it is just a small issue. I think, the only problem is the mouse cursor. Why, devs did not design a elegant cursor? Windows cursor just looks ugly.
Sound effects and musics: While they are not among the best, enough to maintain the atmosphere. But, i like the walking and water sound effects especially.
Gameplay is very comfortable. You can walk with the right button and attack with the left; and it is very functional especially when using a ranged attack weapon. Before the patch, selling items in containers was a torment, but after patched all trading can be done easily.
And, the story. Every RPG veteran knows that story is the biggest part of an RPG to make the game playable. The story shows us Kult was made by real RPG lovers. It's not just all about idiotic rescue the world, save princess, kill evil beasts. It's beyond that. You can see that the world is in trouble, but not just good sides and evil sides. There are moral choices you can make. You can role play a religional or atheist. And, each sides have their own rightful excuses. There are not just black and whites, but grays in all tones like in the real world.
Overall, i think Kult must be bought by all RPG lovers. I did not expect such a quality from a realitively new group, but i love suprises. I hope 3D People will earn enough money to make expansions and sequels to Kult, cause they deserve that.
(I also want to thank 3D people for their interest.)
Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:30 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

While I do apreciate your point of view, GokYabguHan, I stay unsure If another Kult topic is what we needed. As for your review on the game, I agree with most points, although I do think that you are overpraising the game a bit too much, as the game has some very major flaws, that are not changable in any way (unless 3d people are already doing their expansion) - the too high system requirements, the little replay value, the lack of any real options in the quest, and the relative shortness of the game.
Nevertheless, the game is quite enjoyable, but as have already said - not a must have right now. I know that there are no RPGs that are coming anytime soon, except for KotOR 2 and the Sacred expansion, but that is not a valid point. There are other good games out there (most notably right now Sims 2 and Knights of Honor, for me) that are much more worth the money.
Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:07 pm
dsucher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is this the place?

Hi, yopu answered my post in another place. Is this the right place to ask questions? I am not sure where I should post. I need to know the ropes.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:12 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

You can post here if you would like, or create a new thread in this forum (CRPG General).

In general, feedback about the site itself goes in the RPGDot forum, several games have their own specific forums, any RPG without its own forum goes in CRPG General and non-RPGs or general banter goes in Absolutely Off Topic.

Kult doesn't have its own forum, so CRPG General is the place.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:21 am