My Redguard isn't cutting the mustard.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

My Redguard isn't cutting the mustard.

I'm finally starting Morrowind. I started as a Redguard and he doesn't feel right. My game style is hack-n-slash. Plus, I like to take anything that's not nailed down. I'm just walking around the main town (Seyda Neen) and I can't pick up anything without a major battle happening. Which character is best suited for some good ole strong arm with a little light fingers? What about the race too. (I've noticed that there is a lot of reading to do, to bad there's not more vocals)
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:36 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Don't expect to be a killing machine from the start - that's unrealistic. A Redguard will be an excellent fighter later on. Starting out, everyone is a whimp.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:41 pm
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Later in the game, just whacking things is the best form of combat. My character can kill just about anything with one hit.

However, at the start you are more powerful if you have some other options like destruction magic and marksman. Also useful are levitation and summoning.

You don't have many hitpoints at the start so it's best to avoid being hit, by levitating out of range, using long distance attacks and summoned monsters.

You will probably also want the teleportation spells for convenience.

You need to increase strength and endurance as fast as possible. If you have acrobatics as a *miscellaneous* skill, you can get a bonus of five points to strength each level just by jumping everywhere you go. (If you have acrobatics as major or minor then you will level up as you increase it, so you don't get such a big bonus and you level-up too quickly)

Magic is also useful for thieving. If you have enough mana it's pretty easy to make an unlock spell with a power of 100. Also useful are telekinesis and levitation again so that you can unlock stuff and grab it while you are out of the line-of-sight of the NPCs. For some reason they don't mind if a stranger comes into their room, levitates up to the ceiling behind some obstacle, and starts casting spells that open their chests and their stuff starts floating up in the air.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:05 am
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why does nearly everyone steal? I find that is the main reason people claim the game is too easy, from the begining there is virtually no money problems.

As far as character development goes I choose what I PREFER as opposed to what works best, and I also increase my skill through play ( I don't purposely run around or go out and kill mudcrabs ), eg. After a good few hours of play: Lvl1 Dunmer Archer/Mage. Sure, a High Elf or Wood elf would have worked better, but I like to play the Dark elves.

The long range skills are better IMHO, as for characters not feeling 'right', I know what you mean, just go through it trial and error.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:23 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Early Q: I agree. I never develop stealing skills in any RPGs I play. It's not my personal gaming style, and I find it unbalances many games, with Morrowind being no exception.

@Max: Morrowind differentiates between stealing and scavenging. You can and should scavenge for all you're worth, but emptying a chest while the owner watches doesn't work like it does in Wiz8. If you truly want to steal, then it would seem to me you'd want strength and agility for combat and intelligence and agility for thieving. In terms of starting stats (which is probably overly simplistic), looks like a Khajit or Argonian has the highest total sum of those three stats. I don't remember if you're as anal about party/character planning as I am, but Morrowind is probably the worst game I've played for pregame plans (not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but after 6 characters in 2 weeks, I completely understand that "not quite right" feeling).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:44 pm