Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Preview @ 1 Up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Preview @ 1 Up

1 Up has the latest Q&A with Arkane CEO Raphael Colantonio and designer Julien Roby. It includes a few screens and a video interview as well. <blockquote><em><b>1UP: What does the Might and Magic license bring to Dark Messiah that you might not otherwise have if you were using an original IP or going ahead with Arx Fatalis II?</b></em></blockquote><blockquote><em>RC: Well, Might and Magic is a well-known symbol of the RPG, and it's a very compelling challenge to do the next version of a M&M game. The cool thing is that we got to really rework the entire universe, so we're part of recreating the gaming world with Ubisoft. Both of us worked on that together. And it's an exciting thing to work on a well-known and rich franchise, but adding our vision of it. It's a very strong challenge in the way that we don't want to disappoint traditional fans of M&M. At the same time, we want to revive it and raise the bar and bring a new identity to this brand, so it's a cool and hard thing to work on.</em></blockquote>Read the rest <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3149483" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:43 am
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

From what I have seen of this so far unlike what they say they are dissapointing fans of might and magic. They could have done this game without the might and magic name since it isn't anything like might and magic. If they wanted to rework the universe they could have got rid of the turn based gaming and reworked the stats some but left what is might and magic alone and I would have been happy but they didn't and instead got rid of most of the rpg part and whatever made might and magic what it is and made a new game with the same name.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:48 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Sounds like a dumbed down RPG lite at best!! Very disappointing for both M&M lovers and those of us who were looking forward to Arx 2!! If it doesn't get absolutely RAVE reviews, I won't even consider buying it!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:57 am

I LIKE TO POST WITH LOTS OF !!!!!!!!!!!! TOO
IT MAKES ME LOOK SMART!!!
AWESOME@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:09 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

While I agree with Corwin in terms of what it means for RPG players - especially when you look at a quote like this:
quote:
We tried to make the RPG thing as transparent as we can, so that it becomes a rich layer instead of becoming an obstacle to players who prefer easier-to-access games.

I am very excited about this game - and am very glad we're learning more and more about how much of an RPG it *isn't*. That way I can be expecting something more like an open ended Blade of Darkness rather than Arx 2. And since I love both FPS & RPG I should be able to enjoy this one ... provided they don't deliver a totally crapped-up experience!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:43 am
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

From the day the game was announced (in the German PC gaming magazine PC ACTION by the way ), it was stated that Dark Messiah was an action game. Did you really expect it to become an RPG?
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:28 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
We tried to make the RPG thing as transparent as we can, so that it becomes a rich layer instead of becoming an obstacle to players who prefer easier-to-access games.

In other words, it's going to be dumbed down for brain-damaged retards like Deus Ex: Invisible War was. Cross this one off of my "most anticipated" list.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:24 pm
vid

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Darkmoon
From the day the game was announced (in the German PC gaming magazine PC ACTION by the way ), it was stated that Dark Messiah was an action game. Did you really expect it to become an RPG?

it was however often stated (including by the developers) that there will be rpg elements and that arx fatalis players would notice that it derived from arx2. hence those expectations.
also what about those ambivalent statements about the herritage of m&m. if they would just say: we just took the name, everything else will be thrown away -> ok.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by vid
if they would just say: we just took the name, everything else will be thrown away -> ok.

Well, if you translate marketing speak to RL speak then they basically said just that . I hope they are going to make a real M&M X one day because this one here is 'Unreal Tournament Meets Fantasy'. Just download and watch the videos. Dark Messiah is not even remotely going to be an RPG.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:11 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz
In other words, it's going to be dumbed down for brain-damaged retards like Deus Ex: Invisible War was
While I hated DX:IW as much as you apparently did ... I also like playing action/FPS games and don't think that anything that isn't a deep RPG is automatically 'for brain-damaged retards'.

quote:
Originally posted by vid
also what about those ambivalent statements about the herritage of m&m. if they would just say: we just took the name, everything else will be thrown away -> ok.
It is like those made-for-TV specials that say 'based on a true story' ... but are so mired in their own interpretation of what would make a good TV version of the story that you couldn't find the original facts with a map & compass ...

... a different thought - if Dark Messiah is a RPG, then Commandos Strike Force is just a 'reimagining of the strategy genre' (it is a FPS)

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:28 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
quote:
In other words, it's going to be dumbed down for brain-damaged retards like Deus Ex: Invisible War was
While I hated DX:IW as much as you apparently did ... I also like playing action/FPS games and don't think that anything that isn't a deep RPG is automatically 'for brain-damaged retards'.

When the RPG elements are purposedly stripped out for people that don't want to exercise the brainpower to use them, I would say that they are. I also love pure action FPS's, but they offer a completely different experience, and not one that an RPG can duplicate.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:34 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
When the RPG elements are purposedly stripped out for people that don't want to exercise the brainpower to use them, I would say that they are. I also love pure action FPS's, but they offer a completely different experience, and not one that an RPG can duplicate.

Thanks for clarifying - I agree with you. It if a FPS, let it be - many will love it. If it is an action game like Blade of Darkness, let us know - many will love it. If it is a 'real' RPG, then many will love it. But be honest with us and yourselves - don't pretend it is an RPG when it is an action game with a few hidden stats. *That* sort of thing is what ticks of everyone.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:58 pm