Most Memorable Movie Mistake
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

Most Memorable Movie Mistake

Warning, try not to read the title if you are intoxicated.

What mistake in a movie really sticks out in your mind.

Mine is when Lucas released the Star Wars special edition and in Episode Four included Jabba the Hutt. However before the original was released they were going allow Jabba the Hutt to be a human but it didn't make the final cut.

In the special edition they edited the film to allow Jabba the Hutt to be in the picture. Even compensating for Harrison Ford being too close to the actor in the original cut scene by allowing him to walk on Jabba's tail. The stupid thing is they spent all the time using CGI to put Jabba in the film. However they forget the sound track as Han Solo says to Jabba the Hutt "Your a wonderful human being Jabba".

If it works don't fix it.
Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:10 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's a poor show indeed. Along with deliberate "mistakes" like Greedo shooting first, etc. I really hope George Lucas doesn't fall on a spike and bleed to death.

My pick is from the same film, before tampering (and possibly after as well, i don't think they edited it out) - the bit where three stormtroopers come through a doorway and the one on the right bashes his head on the bottom of the door. A well-known one, but definitely the most memorable for me.
Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:58 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

The biggest mistake I can remember in a movie is in the movie Speed. This particular mistake ruined the whole movie for me and I was sorely tempted to just walk out of the theater it was so bad. But strangely, I've yet to hear anyone else talk about it.
It was when they were on the bus and going up that unfinished section of the highway where there was a tight turn and then a big gap in the street(which the bus would have fallen through for sure). I recall Keanu Reeves saying "maybe there is an incline", but when they showed a shot of the road, there wasn't. There was a fairly tight turn and shortly afterwards, there was the big gap in the road. Even if that tight turn was not there, there's no way they could have gotten enough speed to make it across, but somehow they showed the bus like it had just gone over a stunt ramp and made the jump.
Yeah, I know, it's a movie, but still that was so stupid and a huge mistake in filmmaking. Whoever directed that film should be ashamed of themselves and get slammed for that.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:33 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

But thats not realy a mistake (Which is why you didnt hear anyone else talk about it). Its just movie makers being idiots.

A mistake is something they didnt intend to do. No matter how retarded that was in Speed, they obviously intended for it to happen.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:40 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I can see what you're saying, but one could argue that it was still a mistake, but an intentional mistake. So, while something like a hanging microphone popping in at the top of a screen would be an unintentional mistake, something like what I described in Speed could be classified as a mistake still, even though the director knew what he was doing and intentionally made what would be viewed as many to be a mistake in that scene.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:48 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I wouldn't call this one memorable, but it is the last one I remember seeing on my own and didn't have it pointed out to me. Pretty Women, the dinner with the old man and his grandson. First they have icecream, then they don't, then they do again.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:54 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

In the Bruce Willis version of The Jackal, the helicopter has the number 28 painted on its tail before it disappears behind a building, and 29 when it reappears. That's about the only one I noticed myself.

There are many sites with movie bloopers on the net, though, and I guess the most famous blooper would be the watch on the arm of the fanfare guy in Ben Hur.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:07 am
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Originally posted by piln
My pick is from the same film, before tampering (and possibly after as well, i don't think they edited it out) - the bit where three stormtroopers come through a doorway and the one on the right bashes his head on the bottom of the door. A well-known one, but definitely the most memorable for me.

I totally missed it, I got to see the film again for the millionth time for that one.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:19 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Only one I can remember is in Ace Ventura Pet Detective, just before the animals burst through the wall in the bad guys house.

There was a chess set on the table, then there wasnt. Dull I know. But its the only one I could remember.

Someone post an interesting one already!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:10 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In Superman I. There's this scene where Big S is flying apparently at his top speed to catch one of two missiles going in opposite direction. It takes him some time and effort to finally catch the one missile, while the other explodes. Later, when Lois dies, he turns back the time by means of flying so fast in a direction opposite to the movement of the Earth, that the Earth starts spinning backwards. He flies around the world about twice per second. At that speed he would have catched both missiles without any problem.
The above is probably not a mistake, but the next couple sure are. One was this terrible gangster movie made by some Spanish Director named Juan Orol. A band of gangsters come into this bar with machine guns in hand. They start shooting the rival gang members in the bar who fell all dead, but the mirrors and glasses in the counter behind the dead guys' table were untouched during the whole shooting.
In another movie, there was this scene where a girl, dressed like some high executive's secretary, was hiding in a compartment in an airplane. Somehow the pilot is shot, and you see this take where the plane is going nose down vertically. In the next scene, a couple of other guys are walking on the plane's aisle, opening the compartment and finding the girl. Now she is dressed in a jumpsuit very appropriate to jump off a plane, leather helmet and all. A conversation takes place. Again the scene of the plane going down vertically. Next, the people in the plane are grabbing out some parachutes and helping the girl put hers on and talking about how they must hurry because the plane is going to crash, and walking back to open the plane's door. And the plane going nose down. They finally get off the plane, and the crash scene shows the plane coming at an angle, hitting a small hill, and remaining whole.
Sorry can't remember the names of the movies.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:32 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

xXx, possibly one of the worst movies ever conceived. It contained a huge number of stupid mistakes, plot holes and violations of logic and reason - not to mention the terrible acting and lack of character development - but one particular scene stood head and shoulders above the rest:

xXx was in a blue car driving along the left hand side of a river. He came up to a bridge, turned left onto it, and the car turned red. Remarkable.

On the subject of mistakes in Star Wars, I'm amazed that Lucas manages to get away with it. He encourages the punters to buy his films over and over again, yet seems to put almost zero effort into improving them. We had the original release, widescreen, THX remastered, THX remastered widescreen, special edition and special edition widescreen, and he's bound to do another re-release to put in a special box set of all six films as and when he gets around to it. However, the most glaring mistakes of the first film are still in there! He spent time putting in hordes of motionless stormtroopers lurking in corridors, smugglers who think it sporting to let others shoot first etc, but still doesn't seem to have found time to fix Luke shouting "Carrie" to Leia, fix the stormtrooper bashing his head, or even colour in Vader's lightsabre in the scene with Obi-Wan on the death star.

Yes, after all that work he still hasn't fixed the things that the fans have been clamouring for him to fix for the past thirty years. But I'm sure he'll come up with a new release, and maybe - just maybe - he'll find time to fit it in, in-between giving the Ewoks baseball caps or giving every tenth stormtrooper a Jamaican accent, or whatever.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:13 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some time back I watched Titanic for like the 3rd time ( not that I like it so much, but nothing else was on TV )
and you know that scene when the ship is going down, and there is a scene when it shows the captains room, the captain is inside and the place is flooded with water ( about 20 cm high ) then the scene changes and some minutes later we see again the same room with captain inside, but this time, there is no water, instead the water just starts pouring in ... I mean, LOL ?! What did the captain do ?! He had to like grab a bucked and a dry cloth and wipe it all, fill the holes where the water was leeking. I'll tell, thats one hell of a captain !
There's also some more huge mistakes in Titanic, but I forgot most of them...
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:43 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by |comy|

You mean like releasing it?
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:28 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
quote:
Originally posted by |comy|

You mean like releasing it?

ditto
Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:39 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

About Star Wars mistakes: As you may know or not, the movies in the flemmish part of Belgium are subtitled (no stupid and lame voiceovers luckily). Now the Star Wars translator made a reasonable translation if he only didn't do the next one:
R2, where are you.

Are too, where are you.

And so he did everytime when there was spoken of R2.
NFG member
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next