88%
 88%  [ 16 ]
Bah, i rather play tetris.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's tie with MW.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Dunno, my mom said that i'm only allowed to play Disney games.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Author Thread
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

My thoughts about MW vs. G2

Well, since i've played only MW of these and just seen G2 screenshots, i can't put these yet to face to face, but i can say that G2 seems to have improvements and lots of them, from my side i can easily think that G2 is going to be a game of the year, and as i am Gothic fan from the beginning, when this G2 comes out i would forget MW. MW is a great game but somehow, i have more intrests to G2, since it has something which can't be dressed to words, at least i have that feeling. I hope that PB guys get better publicity with this one, that they got with first one.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:44 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes! Sure it is!

G2 has the stuff!
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:03 pm
Mike Rotch
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

There's no compition. Gothic 2 will definately wipe the socks off MW!!!!!!!!!!!

58 days till gothic 2 comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:38 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

If i love G2, it is not necesary G2 would become RPG Game of the Year; rather it's all about personal preferences. More important is receptions by all others gamer out there. However sometimes certain games would become Game of the Year at particular gaming sites, but not on other sites.

So far IMO there is tree games would become close competitors as RPG GAME OF YEAR:

1)NWN
2)MW
3)G2

NWN - lot of hypes/wellknown, generally got great reviews from many gaming sites and gamer community. Great D&D game and dungeon masterering/multiplayer capability. Big & active modding community exist.

MW - great accomplishments in weather system, graphic, sounds system. Very good reception from gaming sites & gamer community - especially hardcore/old school RPGs player. long standing series. Big & active modding community.

G2 - graphic, weather system would rival MW (or better) since it come out 6 months later (make big different in fast moving computer technology world), involving story & character interaction, realistic society in game world.

Who would become Game of the year? all three likely to get the honor; and i think probably NWN & MW stand more chance. We'll see how is the reception of G2; if it get more hype/wellknown (unfortunately so far for G2), and a lot of superb reviews & comments from gaming sites & gamers, then...
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:02 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

High quality graphics are not what makes an RPG, as Morrowind clearly pointed out to me. Immersiveness, ambience and total freedom (non-linearity) are the key components (to me) in making up a great RPG.
For all of its graphical achievements and so on, Morrowind had me yawning before the sun fell on the first city. The NPCs just roam the streets 24/7, there's no blood, there's no type of interactiveness...sterile is the best word I could use to describe MW.
And while people say Gothic's graphics are 'outdated', I still am in awe at the fluidness of the engine and the way the entire world seems to live and breath all around you, night and day.
The fact that G2 will be using a tweaked G1 engine and the world will be 3X larger just makes me drool cause I *loved* the original engine.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:08 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Yes Sure It Is
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:10 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
High quality graphics are not what makes an RPG, as Morrowind clearly pointed out to me.

I agreed on that. Just compare Divinity with Dungeon Siege, i think Divinity is far better CRPGs than DS despite lack of 3D graphic.

quote:
Immersiveness, ambience and total freedom (non-linearity) are the key components (to me) in making up a great RPG..

Immersiveness (no include realistic NPCs), ambience, & freedom (open ended world & quests) actually is strong points of MW; and the plot/story of G1 actually pretty linear...

quote:
For all of its graphical achievements and so on, Morrowind had me yawning before the sun fell on the first city. The NPCs just roam the streets 24/7, there's no blood, there's no type of interactiveness...sterile is the best word I could use to describe MW.

These certainly is among the biggest weakness of MW. However "interactiveness" did exist in MW, and actually quite extensive: alchemy, objects manipulation...; sterile (dull, uncreative, barren)? DS is far more sterile than MW; i think MW should be see in different light...it does have rich background/story/history/society, good weather system provide great atmosphere, the only big problems is the NPCs & lack daily routines...
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:51 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

well there were other points about Morrowind I could point out, but its not necessary (combat being one). I just expected with all the hype of MW for all those months it would have been a hands down "Game of the year" product.
And there are key quests you must do in order to move the chapters along in Gothic, but how you do them and in what order is strictly up to the player
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:25 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have an announcement to make:

I own Morrowind. **<<//GASP!!!!\\>>**
(I know, I know I've let down all those Gothic players such as myself)

I initially bought it just after I bought Gothic, and I liked both games equally for deifferent reasons.
Such as MW has much better graphics, but Gothic has a better storyline. Also MW is more detailed and in-depth, but you gotta love Gothic's simple interface and abilities (Managing all those different attributes in MW was much worse then Gothic's)

So there ya go.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:55 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
...I just expected with all the hype of MW for all those months it would have been a hands down "Game of the year" product.

Don't forget NWN too, it would turn up to be the winner!; although a lot of people complained about it SP offering - but that's not what BIOWARE want to offer, it's the multiplayer & DM abilities. You can't believe how popular NWN is based on how many peoples visiting the official site & the huge moding community!.

There is also several other CRPGs out there that worth mentioning or worth joint the race to win the title "CRPG of the Year;" such as Divinity, maybe DS too (for the graphic innovations, although i don't like the game), but unlikely for Prince of Qin or IWD 2.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyPaladin
I have an announcement to make:

I own Morrowind. **<<//GASP!!!!\\>>**
(I know, I know I've let down all those Gothic players such as myself)

TREACHERY!!, DISLOYALTY!!, BETRAYAL!!
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:00 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Morrowind vs. Gothic is not exactly as polarizing as, for example, Star Trek vs. Star Wars or Q3A vs. UT .
So what? I bought Morrowind when it came out since I like the Elder Scrolls universe. It turned out that I liked it a lot.
I didn't buy Gothic I when it came out because I thought it was a vampire game, and I don't like vampires. When I got it for Christmas more than half a year later, I found out how much I had erred, and how much I actually liked Gothic.
So I like them both, but Gothic feels more 'personal' to me.

As for MW vs. GII, well, there'll always be the 'taste' factor. I may have seen the GII preview and I was very impressed, but I'll talk about how much I like Gothic II after I have played it.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:26 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It seem people who like G1 usually don't like Morrowind, even hate it.
I like GI, but i shamelessly like Morrowind very much, & surely more than G1.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:40 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well whatever the worse RPG what i bought was Prince Of Qin at the beginning it looked pretty O K but later it got really boring.
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:04 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

You should read reviews for the Prince of Qin before bought it. It is obvious from reviews that the game is bad; Even few forum members who tried the demo confirmed it as bad game, or at best it's just a mediocre game...

I bought G1 last year without read any review, simply because there was not much CRPGs title available & i need some quick fix for my CRPGs addiction. After i got the game i regretted & thought i just bought a bad game because i never even heard of this game before (no much publicity on internet/game sites & all). Fortunately G1 turned up to be good game
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:18 am
Khalsa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

G1 I bought solely because of this website. Other game sites that eventually reviewed it talked about all the negatives and then seemed surprised that the game was still fun. I thought G1 was revolutionary but once they created that level of realism, I wanted more - don't let me just steal from everybody, etc.

MW blew me away when I first got it, but I agree with the previous post that essentially it was a lifeless world. Bethesda does not understand how to make non-cardboard cutout NPC's - it felt like I was talking to a computer script every time. Also, monsters charging blindly with no AI other than that seems worse in a first person game than a top down game for some reason.

NWN is AMAZING. There are actually some very good SP mods built by the user community (some lasting as long as a retail game), but the heart of it is multiplayer. I have had my top gaming experiences ever playing through a DM made module with a party - truly amazing.

G2 I expect will set the bar for the single player experience, as long as they enhance the level of response the NPC's have to your actions. The alive world is the secret of Gothic.
Post Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:50 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next