Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A not-so-positive review of Gothic2 in danish computer mag..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Tastes are different. Leave it at that.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:58 am
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Yahari
I must admit that it's wierd for me to see you people praising this game as if there's nothing wrong with it. This game has so many flaws, and yet you people overlook them. I don't understand you when you say that this game deserve 90%+.

I don't hestitate to call you fanboys

I don't see anyone acting like 'there is nothing wrong with it'. people have complained about things in different threads.

now, you yourself said these reviewers gave NWN a perfect 10... well, was NWN a perfect RPG? if it wasn't what does this perfect 10 tell us about the worth of the reviewers' opinions? I threw the NWN disk away 'cause it bored me to tears on the second attempt to finish the first chapter of the single game. on the other hand, I have played Gothic 1 3 times, and Gothic 2 I've played twice. actually, I thought the plot in G2 was lame, everything else was either good enough, or excellent. and what was wrong with the graphics? anyway, I don't think people should pay attention to reviews to begin with. I did once and I bought NWN. then I threw it away.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:08 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I do pay attention to reviews, but usually I cross-read at least three of them before I decide if I want a game or not. I also bought NWN, but not because of a review - I knew quite well I might not like it since it was set in the Forgotten Realms, but everybody was playing it online and I wanted to play online with my friends. I ditched the SP campaign after chapter 2 because I was bored out of my mind; and I played MP a little longer, but it's still not my kind of game, so I sold it to a friend after a while. For me, NWN was quite unsatisfying. I know other people who loved it to bits. So each to his own.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:43 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i cant even sell my NWN ppl seen it how it looks like and no one wants it .
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:19 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I find the best way to get an accurate idea of what a game is like before I play it is to read several different reviews and draw some general conclusions from them. If you go to the link I provided above and click "Show all Reviews," you'll have 14+ reviews to read. If you read all of those you'll be able to deduce a general consensus.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:31 pm
patrichian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Did anyone say DeusEx? There is a game that deserved +90%! I actually liked the voice acting too. I think Gothic 2 would deserve +90% if it didn't have all those bugs
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:32 pm
patrichian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
I find the best way to get an accurate idea of what a game is like before I play it is to read several different reviews and draw some general conclusions from them. If you go to the link I provided above and click "Show all Reviews," you'll have 14+ reviews to read. If you read all of those you'll be able to deduce a general consensus.

I think the best way to see if you like a game or not is to play the game, either get the demo or borrow the game from a friend if he has it.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:35 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by patrichian
I think the best way to see if you like a game or not is to play the game, either get the demo or borrow the game from a friend if he has it.

Obviously. I guess I should have been more clear. I meant the best way without actually playing it.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:25 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe u can also try ur luck just pick the game what has a name that looks intresting
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:42 pm
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

mmm I really do not Understand All the People that says Gothic 2 is Full of Bugs, I Played the game 5 Hours Average per day, till I Finished It, For almost 3 Weeks, and I didn't see a damn Bug, it is Obviously From my point Of View, and after playing The First One, that I expected, at least, the same Quantity of Armors/Weapons /Items, etc, G2 did not Fulfill my Wishes here, but to say that is Full of Bugs??? C'mon , I Think that This "Bugs" Thing has a Lot to do With The System Configuration you are Running Gothic (Processor/Ram/Video Card/Etc), and the way it is Configured, I have a Mid Range PC that Covers the Minimum "Requerimientos" and I’m able to Play The Game With 300% Outside and 150% Inside The City, I'm Running Ver 1.31 on an athlon XP2000+/512 Ram SDR/GForce4 TI 4800/SBLive! 5.1, So before all the Boys Start Complaining about All The Bugs In the Game, They Should Check If it is not Their System that Is Causing Such Bugs, (Hardware, SO, Programs In Backgraund Etc Etc..., In PC gaming There are Just a Lot of Variables that Affect The GamePlay...) Just My Opinion , In Any case for a sequel I give:
Gothic2: 8.5
Gothic: 9
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:10 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by ChronoTrigger
mmm I really do not Understand All the People that says Gothic 2 is Full of Bugs, I Played the game 5 Hours Average per day, till I Finished It, For almost 3 Weeks, and I didn't see a damn Bug, it is Obviously From my point Of View, and after playing The First One, that I expected, at least, the same Quantity of Armors/Weapons /Items, etc that In G2 did not Fulfill my Wishes, but to say that is Full of Bugs???

That must be the longest sentence I've ever seen!

I played Gothic 2 about 18 hours a day, everyday, for one full week. I started playing the game on a Wednesday and I finnished the game on the following Wednesday. It was so awesome, I easily got obsessed.

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:26 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChronoTrigger
mmm I really do not Understand All the People that says Gothic 2 is Full of Bugs, I Played the game 5 Hours Average per day, till I Finished It, For almost 3 Weeks, and I didn't see a damn Bug, it is Obviously From my point Of View, and after playing The First One, that I expected, at least, the same Quantity of Armors/Weapons /Items, etc that In G2 did not Fulfill my Wishes, but to say that is Full of Bugs???

That must be the longest sentence I've ever seen!

... and yet, it's still possible to understand that sentence. Congratulations to ChronoTrigger!

quote:
I played Gothic 2 about 18 hours a day, everyday, for one full week. I started playing the game on a Wednesday and I finnished the game on the following Wednesday. It was so awesome, I easily got obsessed.

I remembered I ruined my entire Christmas break for Gothic 2. I had only 2 hours of sleep for two weeks. My 22 hours were dedicated not for ski and snowboarding, not for preparation for my new school term, not for Harry Potter, but only for Gothic 2. The experience was awesome indeed, but I could have done something more meaningful. What a jerk I was.

Anyway, how frequent did you experience bugs and crashes? So far, I have experience only <20 crashes. Far less than what I encountered in other games such as Morrowind (1 crash per 30 minutes).
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:07 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

It never crashed on me. It froze up once or twice per day until I turned the settings down a bit. After the settings were turned down a notch I rarely encountered any problems. The most common were probably the freezing when forging, reading books, or working at alchemist's tables. It would just randomly lockup while in action mode. It wasn't frequent enough to bother me much. The minor bugs in Gothic 2 were easily overlooked. I'd honestly say most RPGs have more bugs than Gothic 2. Besides, I'd rather have a few small bugs than have one major one that screws up your entire game. There aren't any major bugs that mess up your entire game in Gothic 2. That is more than I can say for most highly praised RPGs. I won't exemplify any here...

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:45 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
It never crashed on me. It froze up once or twice per day until I turned the settings down a bit. After the settings were turned down a notch I rarely encountered any problems. The most common were probably the freezing when forging, reading books, or working at alchemist's tables. It would just randomly lockup while in action mode. It wasn't frequent enough to bother me much. The minor bugs in Gothic 2 were easily overlooked. I'd honestly say most RPGs have more bugs than Gothic 2. Besides, I'd rather have a few small bugs than have one major one that screws up your entire game. There aren't any major bugs that mess up your entire game in Gothic 2. That is more than I can say for most highly praised RPGs. I won't exemplify any here...
<--- hehehe yeah that bug i experienced also its pretty easy to ignore it u just need to do potions or swords or like that slowly then it wont go to action mode
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:56 am
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

to Kiwi and Sir Deity: hahahahha Thank you Thanku people , it was a dificult task, but I manage to get it done.
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next