Usergroups
How can you tell when a magic-using character will reach a c
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I can never tell when my mage, or monk who now has psionic powers, etc. will reach the next spell level. I basically look at what spells they have and consult the manual to tell which spell level they're at, but I can't figure out how to tell when they'll reach the next one. Is it dependent on lvl, master skill, or element skills or stats like intelligence/piety OR all/none and does it say anywhere that I'm missing what spell lvl a character is at and when he/she will reach the next one??
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I also was not able to tell this.
Maybe it depends on too many things.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:53 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Hey guys, I found a great little excel based program that will allow you to enter a caster's stats (wizardry, divinity, earth magic...etc) and come up with what spells they can cast and when they will get the spells you want them to learn....I really hate seeing that "blah is not powerful enough to understand the writing" phrase! All you do is d/l this program, jot down all of your caster's stats, and plug them into the simple little spreadsheet....it is excel based, so I suspect you must have excel on your machine to run it...anyway, it can be found at:
http://wiz8.web1000.com/
So, check it out....it worked great for me!

Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:31 pm
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Kick ass! Thanks a lot man!
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:01 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

No problem...

Always nice to know what you need to do to learn that killer spell...

Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:09 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, and regard which realm the best spells are connected to, and boost them from early on, by using them a lot, so you have a lot of manapoints for them, when you are able to use them.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:43 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-28 02:43, Michael C wrote:
Yep, and regard which realm the best spells are connected to, and boost them from early on, by using them a lot, so you have a lot of manapoints for them, when you are able to use them.

Yes, it is wise to solve even little battles with balanced combination of melee weapons and spells. If you will use only melee fighters for this little battles, your mage will not become "mastermage".
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:03 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I finally got return to portal/set portal..you know, I'd been keeping the return to portal spell book, and when I could use it, realized that using it does NOT also add set portal..interesting..so I hd to learn it and sell the book instead. Now I wish I had two mages so each could set different portals. The spreadsheet has been invaluable.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:26 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

All magic casting characters can learn these two spells. All except the the fighter. However the hybrid-spellcasters: Lord, Ninja, Samurai,Ranger etc. needs more time to be able to learn them, and a good potion of practice in the "Air"-realm, which is the realm for Set/return-portal. In the late middle and end-game it's nice to have 6-7 portal casters. It can really covers the world in matter of second, and it's possible way to force some NPC's into areas they otherwise don't want to go into!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-01 01:36 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-01 01:35, Michael C wrote:
All magic casting characters can learn these two spells. All except the the fighter. However the hybrid-spellcasters: Lord, Ninja, Samurai,Ranger etc. needs more time to be able to learn them, and a good potion of practice in the "Air"-realm, which is the realm for Set/return-portal. In the late middle and end-game it's nice to have 6-7 portal casters. It can really covers the world in matter of second, and it's possible way to force some NPC's into areas they otherwise don't want to go into!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-01 01:36 ]

But you must have a paper and write there, where you set those portals.
Or how will you know which character should cast return to portal to return to specific place

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-01 01:41 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:40 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Danicek: This is exactly the way I did it. Writing it down on paper. Remembering 7 portals and to which character. No better look at my papers.

One at Ferro in Rapax castle
One at T'rang teleporter in Martens bluff
One at Umpani salesman
One at Bela
One in Arnika.
One in the Trynnies trees.
And one you change frequently, to the point you reach in the tough areas (For fast posibility to resupply ammo, and get rid of usefull burdensome stuff that will slow my characters down, but give me some good money.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:27 am