Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Read through topics. Gothic won't start.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

You can try the Pirrana site and go to their faq helps for Gothic. Maybe there is something in that list you have not tried. The Miles selection is the one I ended up using. I just looked and they had a few ideas re: sound. Maybe you can find a link to email them, or ask Gorath if he knows of one.

Edit: Have you tried to reinstall, delete all files, including any save games, and install patch right away before starting the game?
Mark Twain
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:50 am
BoogieMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yep

I've done a clean install, saving nothing from previous. Now I can load a game, if sound is enabled it still skips around and the game runs really slow, like 4fps. A few seconds normal, then back slow again.

If I load without sound, it runs fairly normally. Playable, a little choppier than I'd expect but I guess that the games fault, not my system seeing as I can run Unreal Tournament 2003 with all details maxed and 1024x768 on most levels and it'll run fine.. It will not let me select anything but Miles. If I select a new one, restart Gothic, it still says Miles. WTF is that?
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:08 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I'm not a computer pro by any means, so hang in there and see if someone with a little more knowledge posts here for you. I'm sure they will. There are a lot of good people here who are ready to help. I wish I could help, but this is over my head. Wait for someone with a brain to show up. They will help.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:33 am
BoogieMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm

Okay, this is obscene - it takes it like 4-6 minutes to load a save game saved at the start of the game.

Man this is driving me crazy. I've updated my drivers and eveything.. Nothing! And I can't find any official support for this game.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:58 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I hate to ask stupid questions, but I did think of two things that have messed me up on games, one is disable the auto-protect in my virus protection, and I also have system monitoring by Norton system works, which if I don't turn that off, slows games to almost stand still. Also the clean sweep and stuff. Other than that I am a dead end. But as I said there are others who have a lot more expertise who are not online right now that may be able to help. If you want you can send a private message to the moderators and ask for help as well. I also found some good tips for shuting down winxp stuff to free up ram. If you want I can find it again or you can look, it was in the Absolutely Off Topic thread. There was a link to blackviper site and he had a whole step by step for setting xp so you can get increased ram. I wish I could help. Hope you get this solved. This is a great game.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:27 am
BoogieMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah

Yeah, that's usually one of the first things I try when I have a problem.. I'm not sure what to try now...
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:54 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

BoogieMan

Your mobo has an integrated nvidia MCP-D southbridge chipset. Are you using the ACR-A6CH audiocard that came with the mobo?

If you use another pci sound card (gothic like s.b) then you must dissable the audio device in the mobo bios as well as the Game /Midi port. you can't have two.
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:28 pm
BoogieMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

woooohooooo

Okay. After **13** strait hours of reinstalling and chaning configuration driver combinations, I updated my bios, my mainboard chipset drivers, and found a different driver set for my audio from the manufacturer and in total reinstalled windows 4 times.. And.... EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

BOOYEAH!!!!!

Thanks for your willingness to help guys, it's amazing such a simple solution was right there all along.

Thanks!!!
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:32 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there BoogieMan.

Glad to hear the good news, you hung on in there where many might have given up, and dont forget to stay up to date in the forums, you may well be able to help some poor guy with a similar problem.

Well done.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:28 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Great!! I'm glad you fixed it. Like Wulf said, check in and see if you can help someone else with what you figured out.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:36 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2