Biggest cons of Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Choosing race that is opposite the class is actually good in the long run since you can gain more levels ultimately (starting skills are lower, more levels to gain). That's what I hear at least.

I seem to remember reading somewhere in here that you can raise stats that have innate bonuses beyond 100. if that is the case, then it doesn't matter if you pick the class against the race. you should still be able to reach roughly level 73 or more, not that it matters as i've also read that anything past 20 makes you godlike.

if it isn't the case it is a good point.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 9:25 pm
Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Above level 20 to 25, you're not godlike, but you should be very competent to handle just about anything the game throws at you. After level 30, it seems kind of silly to really "build" a character anymore, aside from just following the quests/story.

IMHO, the races are not really a CON, but they are not really a strength, either. They just don't seem to be well balanced. In particular, the High Elf seems to make little sense. You're good at magick, but you're ver susceptible to it. It really doesn't seem that you're good enough to make up for the big penalty you have to magicka resistance.

Bottom line, however, is that these are the races, and choice should reflect role-playing decisions. Each race represents a different culture and background. That is a STRENGTH, in that that difference between an elf and a khajit is more than just the sum of their attributes.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 9:50 pm
Juz'la

Race does play an important role. No one seems to mention the fact that although in the long run all things are equal (which isnt ENTIRELY true and ill illustrate one example in a moment) initially your race and stats play a very large role. (i.e. 30 personality doesnt help your character with gear, merchants, information etc. and it gets very costly in the beginning of your game). So this effects your game arc for levels, gear etc.

The one point I wanted to illustrate is your Health. Health is entirely dependent on your Endurance PER LEVEL. If you have 75 Health initially your character is going to have far more HP then any character that starts with say 50. Reason being HP is factored everytime you level based on your Endurance (shooting from the hip I think its 10% of your End. per level). So that Orc warrior will ultimately (even in the end game) have more HP then say a Wood Elf warrior (especially if you raise End consistently and cap quickly).

There are nuances outside of roleplay that factor in this game. Just thought this might people re-examine a few arguements.

Juz'la Ironstar
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:52 am

The Evil Meca Alien

The BAD in Morrowind

The first post in this line is 100% correct.

At the moment it is not possible to raise skills over 100 via training only.
The skillboni dont apply through, so that everyone ends up with a 100 point skill in the end.

This is bad in 3 terms:
A) Those with a REAL low skill will get the most levels, thus the most powerful characters. Especially since misc skills can be used to increase statmultipliers.
B) The ONLY race which makes sense playing is Breton. All others do not receive any unique features. No, sorry, effects which can be copied by spells are accessable to anyone and not unique. A magic multiplier is.
C) It is more important to put only "controllable" skills into the primaries. The rest, like armor skills are better left in misc realm for better multiplier gain.

How can this be solved? Well, the game already HAS an option which can make EVERY race a valuable choice and which would finally change the skillsystem from a mockery to what it was ment to be:
The skills can exceed 100.
Primaries get +25, secondaries +10 and there is the additional bonus from the races; applied cumulativly.
Thus a race with +15 in medium armor and medium armor as a major skill would, eg. get 140 % in the end. Thus the person would have 140 ac from an orcish plate rather than the "normal" 100 which everyone else gets.
Not only would this finally give a sense to mastering skills, it would also finish with the "more levels with lower starting majors/minors"-problem.
Everyone would get the same amount of levels, as every char would be able to gain 100% points, no matter if the char started on 45% or on 30%.

My vote for skills over 100. But again: That s up to Bethesda.

Too bad. It is an awesome game. Great graphics, fantastic storyline etc. etc. but it suffers greatly from this skill-unbalance.

PS: Nice analysis first place. Drew the same conclusions myself. Breton/Apprentice sign. Suggesting to keep some magic skills, all armors and most weaponry as misc skills. Take conjuration, speechcraft, markmanship into major in any case. That makes play much smoother. Admiring people helps a lot; as does summoning a mob and shooting the opponents who fight it into the back.
Other nice skills for primaries: sneak and acrobatics.
As long as skills dont go over 100: Take the specialization which includes the fewest of your major and minor skills. Eg.: You have magical realms and stealth skills, choose combat.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:11 am

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I play a dark elf and am rockin through the game.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:27 am
UltimoDragon

Morrowind's character generation is reasonable. Should the redguards get a +15 bonus to the maximum level of the longblade skill? Well, not really. Assuming that level 100 is the absolute best performance for any skill. Sure, redguards were trained to be very combat orientated and for this reason they get +15 longblade at the very beginning. That just means that other races have to train more (15 levels more) to achieve the highest level of performance with the longblade. The system allows every race the chance to become proficient in every skill. Instead, each race should have a leveling bonus for skills. i.e. - redguards level up in longblade 20% faster than other races. Since anything dealing with the longblade would just come natural to one.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:55 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I play a Khajiit thief, who can use magic and fight, and I quite well enjoy it.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 8:06 am
dlbaxter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Speaking of cons...

Has anyone noticed that the dark elves have the most hair styles and faces to choose from? Are the producers of this game really really really big fans of dark elves? Or did they create the character portraits in the order we see them in char. creation, so that by the time they reached khajiit and wood elves, they were tired of creating so much diversity?

Dan
Post Fri May 24, 2002 5:05 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
PS: Nice analysis first place. Drew the same conclusions myself. Breton/Apprentice sign.

Personally i think an imperial with the lady and endurance and personality preferences is the striongest character at the start. 75 endurance, and 85 personality - you have no need to take any endurance or personality based skills for major or minor skills. I have a custom blademaster imperial with this and people will bend over backwards for a chance to lick the dirt off my boots. After having played a breton before, i am also impressed with the speed they can run. with the skill i chose, and the levels they start out with, i can reach ~ level 74 if i want to go to the bother - not that i do. I have yet to do the majority of the quests in the game, even though i have traveled the roads of about 40% of the map. the blight storms are amazing to behold.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 9:27 pm
Juz'la Ironstar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Has anyone noticed that the dark elves have the most hair styles and faces to choose from? Are the producers of this game really really really big fans of dark elves? Or did they create the character portraits in the order we see them in char. creation, so that by the time they reached khajiit and wood elves, they were tired of creating so much diversity?

Your playing in Morrowind (i.e. Home of the Dark Elves... 'course theres gonna be more portraits etc. to choose from). Also keep in mind that most of the factions are "native" (Great Houses, Tongs, Ashlanders, etc.). Your in a Dark Elf world brother !
Post Fri May 24, 2002 10:12 pm

quote:
Your playing in Morrowind (i.e. Home of the Dark Elves... 'course theres gonna be more portraits etc. to choose from). Also keep in mind that most of the factions are "native" (Great Houses, Tongs, Ashlanders, etc.). Your in a Dark Elf world brother !

What's really annoying is even if you choose to be a dark elf in the game; the dark elves of Vvardenfell still treat you like trash because your an outlander.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 10:29 pm

pissed me off to... who the hell do these people think they are...

(grumbles kills a few insolent ordinators)
Post Fri May 24, 2002 11:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2