Usergroups
disapointing review :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

after giving the game a shot.. i am disapointed.

i see some major problems with the game and i would like to point them out. if you like the game, great for you. this in not trying to get you to stop playing or dislike the game. i am only posting this for those who are thinking of buying the game and would find the game a disapointment as i did if the things i mention are important to those who will buy it.

REVIEW:
for doubling the requirements and surpassing the recommended system for this game, it runs choppy. the textures are okay, the skins for the characters are okay, and the world is interesting. but still, if you want the game to look good, you will suffer on the frame rate.

its choppy game play. the engine is poor and you can tell.

the story, well.. lets just say its not the greatest.. but who plays these game for the story? thats not important to me.

poor graphic interface. your menues might as well be old DOS game menues. they suck to put it bluntly.

character build is VERY misleading. most games of the genre have a character build menu when you start. you can choose male or female, or different looks. this game does not allow that. you are stuck with a man and one that you cant change. this is minor, but in all honesty it was disapointing because the box made it seem like you could CREATE your own character, not form him as you go.

the fighting is lacking heavily. using combat weapons, you get ONE attack. not only that, its the combination of 2 buttons. the combat is really basic and really boring. you cant really get into it because all you can really do is stand there and swing at stuff. and not even different swings. so running around your target and wacking him and trying to avoid him is useless.. you might as well sit there and try to hit him.

the english version voice actors... 5 minutes of talking to some people in town will REALLY agrivate you. especially when you are looking for someone and some one else just starts dialog with you. then you end up getting out of it and collecting yet ANOTHER quest. by the time you find your first person, you have just added 5 more quests. it gets old. and it really hurts the "non-linear" aspect they claim to the game. with people telling you what to do constantly you dont have much "non-linear" time.

as far as lvling. good luck. learn patience. and prepare to die lots. finding smaller creatures that will be easy for you is pretty rare. and the world is mixed with ALL types of monsters, so one second you will fight an easy monster, then the next monster 12 feet away can kill you in one hit.

the videos and cinema.. wow.. could it get worse? i havent seen this bad of 3d video since the windows 95 days. its bad.

all in all. the game is not very fun. compare it to games that this one claims to be like, and its lacking heavily. the engine sucks, the graphic interface is poor, and the non-linear aspect is limited. the world is tiny.

if you like it.. great for you. im glad you dont feel you wasted your money. im going to try and take it back. that or sell it on ebay for $20.

so if you are thinking of buying this game.. just be warned.. its not as great as everyong here says it is. im convinced a lot of the posts here are from the creators and not the players.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:02 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I'd be interested in your system specs. I remember to have pleasant experience with a P3 450 and a Geforce back when it was released here.

About leveling: well, don't rely on fighting to get experience. Rely on quests.

I leave the other points to others - I'll have to do a news update now *g*
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:29 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

"REVIEW:
for doubling the requirements and surpassing the recommended system for this game, it runs choppy. the textures are okay, the skins for the characters are okay, and the world is interesting. but still, if you want the game to look good, you will suffer on the frame rate."

-----That's funny, I run on an Athlon 800 with a voodoo 5 5500 at 1024x768x32 with 180% sky increase, AND single chip FSAA and I never experience choppy gameplay.

"its choppy game play. the engine is poor and you can tell."

-----Engine seems super smooth to me

"the story, well.. lets just say its not the greatest.. but who plays these game for the story? thats not important to me."

-----I find the story to be highly interesting, in choosing a camp to join, listening to stories from people that have been there for several years, getting used to the life within the barrier. So far, it's been an incredible experience.

"poor graphic interface. your menues might as well be old DOS game menues. they suck to put it bluntly."

-----Not hardly, the GUI is remarkably simple to use. Oh, but you have to take the time to learn a new interface, which apparently you don't enjoy. The game requires you to change from your typical point/shoot 3rd person mentality of previous titles.

"character build is VERY misleading. most games of the genre have a character build menu when you start. you can choose male or female, or different looks. this game does not allow that. you are stuck with a man and one that you cant change. this is minor, but in all honesty it was disapointing because the box made it seem like you could CREATE your own character, not form him as you go."

-----Where? All it says is "Classes character system lets you play as any type of player, from a powerful warrior to a cunning wizard, or gain skills from any set!" I don't see any character generation references...

"the fighting is lacking heavily. using combat weapons, you get ONE attack. not only that, its the combination of 2 buttons. the combat is really basic and really boring. you cant really get into it because all you can really do is stand there and swing at stuff. and not even different swings. so running around your target and wacking him and trying to avoid him is useless.. you might as well sit there and try to hit him."

-----There are three attack buttons, all do different attacks and as you gain combat knowledge your attacks can be strung together into a fluent motion. A pity you didn't play far enough into the game to figure this out though.

"the english version voice actors... 5 minutes of talking to some people in town will REALLY agrivate you. especially when you are looking for someone and some one else just starts dialog with you. then you end up getting out of it and collecting yet ANOTHER quest. by the time you find your first person, you have just added 5 more quests. it gets old. and it really hurts the "non-linear" aspect they claim to the game. with people telling you what to do constantly you dont have much "non-linear" time."

-----Would you rather have a stale world of nothingness? I don't quite understand what you wanted out of this RPG. The game is extremely non-linear. You can go anywhere and do nearly anything you want. Just because you get a quest does not mean you HAVE to do it, nor does it mean you HAVE to accept it. Sure you are forced to do certain things to attain certain goals, but they are strickly related to story progression, such as joining a camp (you have to accomplish a certain set of tasks to prove your worth to the people in the camp). Please, when you try and trash a game, at least bring some common sense to the table. :

"as far as lvling. good luck. learn patience. and prepare to die lots. finding smaller creatures that will be easy for you is pretty rare. and the world is mixed with ALL types of monsters, so one second you will fight an easy monster, then the next monster 12 feet away can kill you in one hit."

-----Again, part of that whole "non-linear" thing you said didn't exsist. There are areas simply too tough for you to be in at certain levels. Sure, you're welcome to go there and give it a go-around, but you will die. There are boat loads of "simple" monsters that you can kill to gain that extra experience to get that next level. Also remember that you get more experience from quests as well. Perhaps if you played a little more of the game you wouldn't feel this way.

"the videos and cinema.. wow.. could it get worse? i havent seen this bad of 3d video since the windows 95 days. its bad."

-----Seems clean to me, simple, gets the point across, good sound and not totally pixelated.

"all in all. the game is not very fun. compare it to games that this one claims to be like, and its lacking heavily. the engine sucks, the graphic interface is poor, and the non-linear aspect is limited. the world is tiny."

-----What game does this one compare itself to? Ultima 9? It blows it away. Blade of Darkness? It destroys it. Max Payne? It's not a shooter. What 3rd person game even comes remotely close to the quality that this game offers?

"if you like it.. great for you. im glad you dont feel you wasted your money. im going to try and take it back. that or sell it on ebay for $20."

-----Perhaps you should, I'd also suggest you not look for any more roleplaying games that are true non-linear titles, otherwise you'll be just as equally disappointed.

"so if you are thinking of buying this game.. just be warned.. its not as great as everyong here says it is. im convinced a lot of the posts here are from the creators and not the players."

-----Not really, they're from people that love a great cRPG, and that have invested more than 10 minutes into the game. We have learned the GUI, we understand how the game itself works within this living, breathing world.

Next time you wish to attempt to trash a game, you should at least make an attempt to bring factual information to the table, backed by a few examples and other experiences, otherwise your garbage is taken for what it is...trash.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic is a love-or-hate game. After so many people who love it, it was only a matter of time until somebody who is disappointed posts in this forum.
IŽll give my view on some of your criticisms.
quote:
the fighting is lacking heavily. using combat weapons, you get ONE attack. not only that, its the combination of 2 buttons. the combat is really basic and really boring. you cant really get into it because all you can really do is stand there and swing at stuff. and not even different swings. so running around your target and wacking him and trying to avoid him is useless.. you might as well sit there and try to hit him.

Simply wrong. Three attacks, one defence and later attack combos.

quote:
as far as lvling. good luck. learn patience. and prepare to die lots. finding smaller creatures that will be easy for you is pretty rare. and the world is mixed with ALL types of monsters, so one second you will fight an easy monster, then the next monster 12 feet away can kill you in one hit.

You can also call this realism. You play an inexperienced newbie in a dangerous environment. In the beginning you should choose your opponents carefully.
If you keep your eyes open you can get a few levels, an armour, a good sword and a crossbow for free.
Gothic is rather easy if you think before you do something.

Poor graphics? Tell me one RPG which looks better.
Poor videeos? I think mediocre. But okay, they could be better.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:55 pm

Utterly ridiculous post.

The engine is one of the best I've seen, both performance-wise and graphics-wise. I'm running P3-700 with a Geforce 256 and the game RUNS SMOOTH AS SILK ON MEDIUM QUALITY. On high quality it's almost as good and I have it on that setting half the time. GET A NEW MACHINE.

If you die a lot, then you are a loser. I don't know any other way to put it. Maybe you need a rocket-launcher?

The first 6 levels take a while to get. So I'm sure you quit right there... which is why your "review" is even more ridiculous. I went from level 7 to 20 in 2 days after that. If you have no patience you shouldn't be playing RPGs. Maybe you need a rocket-launcher?

NPC interaction is annoying? Go back to your rocket-launcher games.

Next time read the box before you buy a game. THE WHOLE DESIGN OF THE GAME IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES.

Was there A BIG ROCKET LAUNCHER ON THE BOX?

NO!
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:07 pm

i partially disagree with the review in a sense that i find the fact that other people take the initiative to talk to you a bit plus and not a negative thing, and even then, very few people do talk to u on their own (as a matter of fact, it adds to realism, if u want no realism, u'll think that everyone in this world is waiting for u to come around and chat with 'em, as they have no bravery to do so)
but to add to critisim, i'd say that the size of the world is a big minus
also, about combat, i found that in some cases, if you are under a certain level, u simply cannot damage anyone at all, not even a bit, no matter what weapon u use
and this i find to be bullshit and is taking away realism big time, to say the least
also this is probably the only rpg where sucha thing exists, as invelnerable people or monsters to who's skin u can't even scratch
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:39 pm

The main reason for your dislike of the game is obvious as you state "who plays games for the story? not me". Gothic is a mainly storydriven game (quite good story too). And there is alot of people enjoying games with good stories... luckily not all people prefer shootemups (FPS that is).

Why did you even bother with an RPG? Obviously what was needed for you was another FPS... which there is ALOT of
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:08 pm

the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i knew this would happen. i didnt post here to be a troll. oh well.

im not bashing the game as if it sucks completely. its just not what interested me. and the comment about me not buying any more RPG's, i probably wont. until daggerfall makes a sequal

yes i like the other styles of RPG better. the final fantasy games, the diablo series. the action RPG's interest me a lot. but in my opinion the greatest most well made game was daggerfall.

yes it was bad graphics and looked plane. BUT, look at the massiveness of it. it was true non-linear.

i know i dont have to do the missions. im glad there is not a time limit on them like in some games. but im just stating how anoying it was for ME to have to have dialog with 10 people not by my choice.

this is all MY opinion. im not saying that you guys are stupid for liking the game. thats great! im glad you do. but chances are you get into a lot of games that i dont and that others would not as well.

i expected a better version (smaller) of daggerfall with this game. thats what disapointed me. that and the fact that the screen shots were beautiful. they reminded me much of rune. only to install it and see it crap out on me. rune looks 100% better in game and plays 100% smoother. the engine is better!

my comp specs... 1.2 gig p4 sony vaio with a vodoo 4. 256mb ram and 80 gig hard drive.

why does it play sloppy? i dont know. it boggles my mind why this game lags and run does not. or why i can put quake3 on full visual and play vs 32 players in the game over dsl and it doesnt lag!

again.. i think the engine is poor.

i have played more games than i can count. and although most sadly, are ruined by poor engines they still have back up personality to them. i dont feel this game really does.

as a matter of fact, most i have talked to DO NOT like the game. and its not because of the style, ite because of the game!

anyway. yes.. its definatly a love-hate game. i dont exactly hate the game. i just dont think its great. i was excited about it because most of the posts here from players say its excilent! maybe next time i will be wise enough to try the DEMO and not read forums for games. hehe..

glad you like it. sorry i dont. no need to flame me for being honest!
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:25 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

again.. i dont need ANOTHER FPS because those are only good for an hour or so. i love RPG's! the majority of games i buy are ALL RPG. most either suck or rule...

and a rocket launcher? sure.. that was funny. but calling me a loser because i died a few times was uncalled for. i died because i was rocking out killing stuff when out of no where one monster was SEVERALY out of my class. most games distinguish this some how.. this game does not.

example: a life bar that is RED is out of your class while a GREEN life bar is in your class.

i died about 4 times in 6 hours. and i felt i played it causious.

its obvious you guys love this game.. enough to flame me for not!

thats pretty childish if you ask me. i didnt post a message telling you all that you suck for liking the game. so why do it to me?

fanboys are a dime a dozen.. and they all make me laugh.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:33 pm
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think it is so obvious that roleplaying games are not for everyone that I don't want to even get into the details of why the review is off. I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and what makes a game good for me can very weell be the reason why you might not like it. Still though, if you are going to criticise a game, please do so with arguments that stem from the fact that you have actually played the game long enough to know what works and what doesn't. The thing is you can't approach an RPG with the same mentality you approach an action game. You should know this even before purchasing the game and listen, if you don't like this type of game then that's certainly not a problem, but don't just bash a game before learning the intricacies that lie within the playing experience.
Leveling up should be a time consuming process, because it is here where you develop your character. It will take you a while before you can properly dipose of any creature you see lurking in the forest, but then again, the sense of achievemnet you'll feel once you get there will be great. That is one of the most rewarding aspects of a roleplaying game and one that you obviously don't understand.

Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:37 pm

Nice argument Llama....i agree entirely.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:43 pm

wickedkae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

yes there are a few down falls to this game, but the downfalls consist of little things like no fully being able to choose your sex and sitting down where ever you want, trivial. This game is destructive. It runs flawlessly, the engine is almost perfect. This game is not for stupid people. You have to be able to brake away from tradition RPG thought. its tough, trust me i know, but once you get the hang of this games item system etc, it may be one of the best sytems out there. Is simplistic and to the point but allows for depth. the cool thing about it is that your screen is not cluttered with menus and crap, its just your life bar, so u can enjoy the world. This dudes opinion must be one of someone who played f or like 5 min and couldnt comprehend something new, dont listen, buy the game and learn it then judge.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:53 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hey wicked..

its not for stupid people? so basicaly any one that doesnt like the game is stupid?

thats pretty funny. you are a smart kid you know that? i hope you mom pats you on the back lots an puts your high score from poll position on the refridgerator lots for you family to see.

gold star for wicked. hes not a stupid person.
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:13 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

as mentioned above.. i played the game for around 6 hours.. not 5 minutes. so read the posts before you go all out fanboy and flame me for having an opinion.

thats like asking someone to watch "end of days" the entire movie until the end to judge it.

sorry.. but after 6 hours of game play if a game doenst grab my attention that its not that great of a game.

its not that great of a game. and if you want to bash me for not liking it than maybe you should get out of the house more. it would appear this game means more to you than your family.. you make it sound like i just insulted you!
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:23 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

for leander..

most of your post was great. i agree. games are what you make of them. but for you to tell me i dont understand the achievements of leveling is just ill-based. do i need to list the game i have played?

you dont know me. so dont tell me that i dont understand it. im not a quake3 shooter type of person. sure i love that stuff, but like i have stated above, RPG's are my favorite style of game.

i dont think you should lvl fast.. but when you play games for hours and hours on end and dont see much of a difference in your character, its just not rewarding enough. (pools of radiance - another flop in my opinion...)

games that allow faster levels along with good story and great game play win me over anyday.

not everyone has 16 hours a day to waste on games. so those of us that have fulltime jobs and a life cant put in the work it takes to really get into some of these games.

ill admit. after 1 hour of game play i was already losing interest. mainly because it feels like i have played the game already. the story is pretty weak. sorry.. but it is. and the characters are not that interesting. except for mug i think his name is.. the bastard wouldnt leave me alone.. hehe..

anyway.. sorry i disagree with you guys. i dont like this game and most the people in my area that purchased the game dont like it either.

i think the word RPG gets thrown around a lot and you tend to generalise it. i expected this game to compete with the greats.. but it just doesnt.

looking foward to morrowind!! and definatly will rock to world of warcraft!

p.s. any of you played dark camelot yet? a friend is begging me to buy it.. but would like other opinions.. if you have played it.. how does it differ from this game?
Post Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:35 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next