Sea Dogs 2 question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Sea Dogs 2 question

I was reading my new Computer Gaming World magazine when I noticed an interesting ad (May 2003, pg 17). The game is called "Pirates of the Caribbean" and is being made by Bethesda. So, have they changed the name of Sea Dogs 2 or what? We don't have anything about "PofC" in the RPGDot games database, so I thinking this is something screwy. Anyone know what gives?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:08 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Well, the seadogs2.bethsoft.com address, which used to take us to the Sea Dogs 2 page, now takes us to the Pirates of the Caribbean page. I guess that answers your question.

edit: spelling
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:31 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Edit: Scratch this entire post - I must have been thinking of the wrong screenshots.

Bluesnews has confirmed that the developer of the two is the same (Akella) and has compared a screenshot from each game that is identical.

In other words, there is no doubt that Sea Dogs 2 is Pirates of the Caribbean. Obviously the movie tie-in was too good to miss. I just hope they don't "Disney-fy" it.[/i]
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:04 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I dont care what it's called, I just cant wait for it to be released!! ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:56 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ditto, Sammy! I wanna be a pirate! Arg!
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:09 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

But that means if the movie flops (which it seems it may), then the game is going to flop.
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:12 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
But that means if the movie flops (which it seems it may), then the game is going to flop.

I don't think so, MoonDragon. I think that crpg players are starving for a good game right now. It's unfortunate that the game is being pushed back
to June, but there was no official release date for Sea Dogs 2 anyway. The
unofficial release date was Spring '03 and now it's June '03. If the game is
released before June 21st, it would technically still be spring I agree with
the concerns about Disney-fying the game though. To me, a pirate crpg should have taverns and wenches, maybe some kidnapping and abductions,
and other things along that line. I really think it's too late in the developement of the game though for them to Disney-fy it too much. Time will tell.
Post Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:37 pm
Dhruin

I have mixed feelings about the fortunes of this movie. Awful name, hate Jerry Bruckheimer's style-over-substance Hollywood flash but what a great cast! I love Geoffery Rush.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:49 am
Dov
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Dang, I came over here to ask this same question, but it seems someone beat me to it.

I don't know, this sounds like it'll suck for me, mainly because one of my favorite things about Sea Dogs was that it was open-ended (many a Spanish shipping fleet met its end at my hands ), but if it's based of the movie, it'll be really linear, whereas Sea Dogs 2 was supposed to be as open ended as Morrowind. I hope they leave it that way rather than make it conform to the movie, but I doubt it.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:23 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, I heard that they had to remove some violence and blood so that the game would reach out to more people, that sucks.
Post Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:25 pm
Chiko
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hey guys,I want to cry
Seadogs I was one of my favourite games and I'm waiting for Seadogs 2 for a very very long time.I heard about that pirates of the caribbean sea but today I checked out the www.akella.com and I couldn't see anything more about Seadogs 2((((,
But I loved the screenshots and I loved the movie of Seadogs 2.Today,I've heard many bad news like that thing about seadogs 2 and the delay of the international release of Gothic 2(
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:53 pm