Deus Ex: Favorite Augmentations?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Wolf_Lord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Deus Ex: Favorite Augmentations?

Okey, Here is a question to all who play Deus EX 1. What is your favorite augmentations?
Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:09 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

My favorite in DX1 was the leg speed enhancement. Why move silently when I can be faster than them, and jump across wide chasms?
Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:53 am
Wolf_Lord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*nods* My favorite is probably the spy drones. So, Anyone else got any favorites?
Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:58 pm
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Regeneration and speed enhancement are my favourites.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:10 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Most useful was regeneration. Favorite was the speed enhancement. Loved jumping down from high places with enemies hot on my trail.
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:34 pm
wacko3
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Most useful was regeneration. Favorite was the speed enhancement. Loved jumping down from high places with enemies hot on my trail.

i loved that game just played it recently
id say my fav aug would be ...regeneration i guess or the spy bot
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:11 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Most likely Regeneration. I was always using it.
In Deus Ex 2, it would be bot domination.
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:30 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hate how bot domination in D2 required you to stand up real close to it and get shredded to pieces by the bot before you could take control of it.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:51 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I would just run up and start the domination, then turn and run behind a box or something. The domination would continue and you are safe.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:03 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't know you could leave the area. But I can't test that until I find my play disk. I just wish the submachine gun was silenceable. I also was annoyed how difficult it was to destroy the guys in mech suits.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:11 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

And that they blew up in your face, man did I learn THAT the hard way.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:00 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dunmer King
I would just run up and start the domination, then turn and run behind a box or something. The domination would continue and you are safe.

Me too, worked a treat, apart from the slight pang of guilt at the knowledge that it shouldn't really work that way, and I felt like I was kind of cheating, in a way (hey, I still did it though! Every time!!)

[spoilers ahoy]
quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
My favorite in DX1 was the leg speed enhancement. Why move silently when I can be faster than them, and jump across wide chasms?

Well, Jaz, what a racket you must have made! I went the other way - stealth legs for me, but then I'm generally a sneaky and nosey type (in games that is!) I loved the fact that, at high levels, the stealth mod would even damp running, falling and jumping noises, so I could tear around undetected - a highlight that sticks in my mind is leaping accross the rooftops in the gas-station rescue mission and knowing there were enemies just feet away, patrolling and in the rooms under my feet, but they didn't have a clue I was there until I was in the room - dropping through the ceiling covering them in flame. Bit late to do anything about it then! Kind of like playing Thief with no speed limit [ joy]

But what really impressed me was how much difference the decision made - I had a mate playing the game at the same time - he chose the speed legs, and told me about how he dealt with that early mission where you have to activate a message by satellite on the roof of that tall building - know the one I mean? The one that is flooded with troops after you send the message? I had to deal with it my usual way, going back down to the ground inch-by-inch, cautiously hiding and shooting (but I'd eased it slightly by setting traps behind me on the way up), but my friend saw the UNATCO guys swarming up the stairs, waited for them to get close and just flung himslef off the roof! His fall-damage was dampened enough for him to get away clean in just a few seconds

Anyway... for my style of play, stealth legs and x-ray vision were great. I could probably have gone either way on any of the others, but those two really defined the way I played.
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:17 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Usually I play stealth types as well, but I remember telling my cousin 'Why waste leg space to move silently when I'm always moving silently, anyway?'
When I got tired of sneaking, I dashed around, making a racket, sure... and when everybody was on my trail and I was far enough away (and tired of zipping across the cityscape), I hid somewhere and let people calm down again... and snuck on.
Yes, I jumped off the roof as well, it nearly gave me the type of rush SW: Pod Racer did later on .
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:56 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

@piln: Guilt...HAH! I laugh in the face of guilt , I got incredible pleasure of taking control of the big mechs and sicing my new plaything on his helpless team mates. Eat that explody evil dudes!
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:22 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dunmer King
@piln: Eat that explody evil dudes!

Yeah... fair or not, i suppose they deserved it.

@Jaz, for ages now, I've been meaning to replay DX1, or perhaps the Zodiac or Cassandra Project mods ... and whenever I think about it, I know I would take the oppposite choice on most/all of the mods. Which would probably result in me taking a more gung-ho approach (I guess I should also focus on different skills). I never got to see just how fast the fast legs could go, so that could be fun. I'll also have hitting strength rather than lifting strength - so maybe I'll be running in to melee range and clobberin' my foes rather than sneaky sniping. Does the speed leg mod improve your jumping at all?

Did anyone try Zodiac or Cassandra? I'm also tempted to take a look at the PS2 version, since I have a PS2 now and the game is cheap - anyone know about this version and care to comment?
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next