RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

Arcanum questions

Hi,
i've re-installed Arcanum and i've some questions:
The first time i played it, i played as a magician... after a while (reaching 90 or near in magic) the merchants of technology items didn't want to let me trade with them... but i had a technologist with me... how can i sell/buy items from them? Now i want to play as a technologist, would the macigian shops allow me to trade with them when i'll reach 100 in technology?
Thanks in advance
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:39 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I think its the same with tech characters.... becouse magick disturbes technology, and technology disturbes magick.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:16 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Yes, those two are at complete odds with each other and when you get a character to a very high level - the other won't deal with you.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:33 am
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

ok but i've some magician with me... how could i buy or sell magic items if anybody wants to talk with me?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:34 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Which is easy enough to get around if you simply show them what a 100 tech rating can do and shoot them.

"Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Other than doing so... the wise women still sell to you when you have tech 100, I believe... I could be wrong, it's been awhile... and there are user mods that give them access to most of the good magical equipment for sale in the world every time you visit... (though be prepared to have your jaw hit the table at the prices for arcane full plate and such).

This is why I kept my party homogenous. My magic guy got all the mages, my dwarf got all the tech characters and fighters, and my diplomat... well... kind of got everybody in the game, really... but... sine he leaned towards neither side of the scale he could buy from anyone (at rock bottom prices).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:36 pm
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Everything Xen has the right idea. Except for Magnus, who I need for this one dwarf quest, when it's revealed he's really the King of some Dwarven Clan, yada yada. Anyhoo, I've only played two games to completetion, but a ton to about where you get the boat. One was a dwarf Explosive-dude charlatan's apprentice (diplomat) and another was a gnome Conveyance Mage (teleporting, unlocking) dude charlatan's apprentice. You can find a lot of the best equipment, like the Sword on the Bane of Kree. A lot of the best equipment is Magickal, though, and a technologist simply either has to find some good stuff or build it himself. which I did, by the way. I had five followers. A chick with a gun, Virgil, and two half-ogres and an Orc equipped with pyrotechnic axes i built myself, which, by the way, you should get the schematic for. I believe they are the most damaging melee tech weapon in the game. Plus my trusty mutt, who is invaluable at the beginning of the game.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:50 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I got an Arcanum question for you- how the hell can the major software retailers still charge fifty dollars US for it?

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:54 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by ButtOfMalmsey
I got an Arcanum question for you- how the hell can the major software retailers still charge fifty dollars US for it?

such a good question should be made to the sofware house!
Not all the games become budget editions... unluckily!
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:05 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I bought it used for 20 dollars when I was living at home for a month, but it wouldn't work on my parents' computer. So I returned it, because I wasn't planning on getting a puter of my own for a while. Then I got my new puter. Regrets? I have a few... But then again, too few to mention...

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:25 pm