Usergroups
What are you reading now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Recently I read Cybernetic - Samurai by Victor Milan. It's a cyberpunk novel about the worlds first sentient AI. They name him Tokugawa and train him to be a samurai. The ending was very good as it in many ways mirrors the tale of the 47 Ronin!

Currently I am working on "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan!

In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen.

Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats “existence” as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning. . . .
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:14 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Currently reading
Dean Koontz: Odd Thomas

Just finished
Stephen King: Green Mile

Does anyone remeber a book called...Day of the Triffids??

If so, who wrote it?

"I can handle anything that life throws at me. I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently - but I will handle it. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well DANCE!!!!!"
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:22 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

John Wyndham. Google knows all!
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:56 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Ghost in the Shell Volume 2: Man-Machine Interface TPB
By: Shirow Masamune

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:28 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

The Serpent and the Rainbow by Wade Davis.

Pretty good.
Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:22 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The Dune series. I'm halfway through God-Emperor of Dune. The series is interesting though the ideas of genetic/cellular memory and the pre-born makes me wince and breaks suspension of disbelief.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:17 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

The 6th and 7th volume of the Thraxas series. A worthy addition, I may add.

Xen, are the latter books of the Dune series worth the bother? The most common opinion of them I have seen is that they are even worse than crap, since the author has been cashing in on his Dune success (meaning that the ideas are nice, but are not good represented in the Dune wrap).
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:17 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They're soapboxes for a man speakingng about what he believes humanity is all about and perhaps should be. They're philosophical journeys and I think they're well written ... but they're slow paced and consisting of 98% dialogue. God-Emperor especially. That was the point, it is true, and I have hopes that the last two will get back to the format of the first one.

They're compelling reads but found myself shaking my head in disagreement and wondering at the tunnel vision and short-sightedness of this god-being who was supposed to come off as near omniscient. It didn't help that every time one of the normal humans, such as Monero or Duncan Idaho, brought up what I believed was a FAR more accurate observation they'd get basically a head shake and a "You don't understand yet. But you will."

"Yeah, yeah humanity is weak and dependent on machines and oil (spice) and have forgotten what it means to live ... we get it ... now what the hell are you trying to say besides that?" Is the question I find myself asking as I read them. Still, they ARE well written.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:46 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, I just picked up Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:14 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Winter's Heart - Robert Jordan
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:00 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Do my textbooks count? No? Oh, very well. I'm reading Characters & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card to polish my knowledge on fiction, because I intend to write more this summer. Card has always been a first-rate fiction writer and a first-rate writing teacher.
Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:11 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I'm reading Jane Eyre. It's kinda boring, though it's getting better.
Just finished reading High Fidelity, which was excellent. I'm also starting Fever Pitch.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:37 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona

are the latter books of the Dune series worth the bother? The most common opinion of them I have seen is that they are even worse than crap, since the author has been cashing in on his Dune success (meaning that the ideas are nice, but are not good represented in the Dune wrap).

Original Dune Saga(Frank Herbert) - I'd say books 1-4 are awesome! Books 5&6 are not that great. I kinda thought it was boring the way they kept cloning the gohla of Duncan Idaho.

New Dune Series(Kevin J. Anderson/Brian Herbert) - It's entertaining. I enjoy it, yet it's nowhere near as deep and thought-provoking as the older novels done by Frank Herbert.

I did enjoy the original movie and both Sci-Fi mini-series. Basically, Sci-Fi covered books 1-3. I really hope they decided to do Book 4, God Emperor of Dune, as it is my favorite after the first novel!

If you enjoyed all the Dune novels, then I highly recommend Kevin J. Anderson's original series, Saga of the Seven Suns. It's basically a fast-paced mixture of Star Wars and Dune!
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:37 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Bankable Business Plans and Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals. A change of pace from organic chemistry and biochemistry.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 6:04 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, Book 10) by Robert Jordan

Post Thu May 12, 2005 7:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next