View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Gor Na Katarn
HOW will you explain our hero loosing all his skills and armour and weapons? Did he eat the weapons and armour and sit on a couch until he either was too out of shape for his skills or he forgot them?!

At the end to Gothic I, the character was trapped under some rubble in the Sleeper's Temple. His muscles and skills atrophied, and even ore armor can't handle that pressure for very long, though it probably saved his life.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:35 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Hi everyone! I think it's really great that PB devs (and now Bethesda!) take an interest in our forums and take the time to talk us. Nico, Tom Tom, Sascha and now KaiRo--you're the best!

I would like to know if the monsters will be the same (dragons excepted of course)? One of the things I liked best was that so many of the monsters in Gothic were believable. They looked like recognizable animals... wolves, big lizards, dinosaurs, predatory cats (bloodhounds) and my favorite, a giant plucked chicken! They were mixed in with the make believe monsters like bloodflies and minecrawlers (yuck!). Will you stick to that format? Coming from an area with a large alligator population I can tell you that I loved the lizards. Those particular animations were so immersive that they made my breath catch!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:43 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@noah:

nice to see you here! thank you very much for your compliments, i really appreciate your openness. to be honest, when i play another game that's in some aspects similar to gothic, i become schizophrenic. on the one hand i enjoy playing the game and love every single innovative feature, but on the other hand i catch myself getting envious, thinking to myself: "why didn't we hit upon that brilliant idea" or "damn, their technology is much better than ours"! it was the same about morrowind, but postings like yours somehow take the wind out of my sails. morrowind is a great game!

@gig:
thanks! i personally enjoy hanging around here, since this is a great way to get in touch with people who are interested in our "baby".

most of the creatures that you've dissected in gothic I will stage a comeback in the sequel, but we added some new creatures. once again, we tried to give them a very natural and real but yet menacing appearance. since you're used to being faced with alligators, it won't be easy to scare you, but we'll do our very best
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What about the balancing? Gothic was pretty hard in the beginning and incredibly easy in the end. Will you find the time to improve this in Gothic 2?
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:00 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

A lot of the real 'power-weapons' could only be obtained very near the end of the game in Gothic. This meant they only had a short span of use. Was this for 'just in case' a player came to the end and was still 'weak' or still had a 'weak weapon?'

Will it be the same in G2? Cos' it would be nice to get nice bombastic weapons a little earlier on and have longer lasting fun with them.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:14 pm
ixos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

dx7

DX7 is still capable of impressive effects (3dmark2000 is proof of that), my questions are:

a) is DX7 in Gothic2 used simply because an engine relying on it would be fast for any system having to use DX7?

b) are textures much higher in detail simply because of the limitations of DX7?

c) what are the maximum texture/pixel densities employed?

d) how many CDs is Gothic coming on?

e) will Gothic2 use 3D-sound? (5.1)

f) how many polygons/frame is the Gothic2 engine capable of?

g) if I said Gothic1 was the best game I have ever played, would you send me a Gothic2 demo tomorrow?

Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:18 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: dx7

quote:
Originally posted by ixos
a) is DX7 in Gothic2 used simply because an engine relying on it would be fast for any system having to use DX7?
b) are textures much higher in detail simply because of the limitations of DX7?
c) what are the maximum texture/pixel densities employed?
d) how many CDs is Gothic coming on?
e) will Gothic2 use 3D-sound? (5.1)
f) how many polygons/frame is the Gothic2 engine capable of?
g) if I said Gothic1 was the best game I have ever played, would you send me a Gothic2 demo tomorrow?

i can olny answer a few of these questions, the rest is for nico:

a) yes the engine relys on it -->nico for more information
b)dont get the question...-->nico
c)i made some 1024/1024 textures, but mostly we use 512x512
d)we dont know it yet
e)like in gothic1
f)depends on your machine. -->nico
g)no...

Last edited by Sascha Henrichs on Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:40 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hello!

ok here comes my another question:

did you allready think about Gothic 3 i mean will Gothic II have again a misteryous End like Gothic 1 had
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:44 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by ixos

Not that I'm a PB employee...but...
DX7 is more or less standard in todays PC's,so aiming for it will make most users get all effects....not necessarily faster though...
DX8 is on the way,but it's not mainstream yet...slowly creeping up towards it with Radeon 9000 and I'm sure nVidia will release a card too and so on.
More or less any gaming company aims for the lowest common denominator to reach an as wide as possible audience...

I have one more question btw....was that part about red light district German humour...or...?
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:04 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rainstorm
was that part about red light district German humour

no humour in there..why should i say something like this?
you can spend your time there, when you have enough money!
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:39 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
i mean will Gothic II have again a misteryous End like Gothic 1 had

you will see that
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:41 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Q gorath & erb duchene:
we hope to do a better strength and weapon balancing in gothic 2. we learned from gothic1
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

OT...didn't want to offend anyone at PB...

quote:
Originally posted by Sascha Henrichs
no humour in there..why should i say something like this?

Sorry...I didn't mean to question your answers...it could be read as sarcasm though...I'm like everyone else grateful all of you take your time answering our questions.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:12 pm
Sascha Henrichs
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: OT...didn't want to offend anyone at PB...

oh no i really dont feel offended
sorry if you get it that way
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:56 pm
¥Evan Green¥
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Questions!

1. Will the new creatures include normal things like fuzzy bunny rabbits, deer, birds etc.?
2. If not in Gothic II, would it be possible to have a character creation screen (hair, eyes, skin etc.) in Gothic III? ( I assume you'll continue the series.)
3. Also, if horses won't be introduced in Gothic II, would they be there in Gothic III?

Thanks for all your time
Evan Green
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next