RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind v. Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Long Live Morrowind!!! And BTW, I still think that the CS is the best thing in the game.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:04 am
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

It sounded to me like the original poster was asking what game to get after playing Gothic, loving it, and looking for something similar. No question...do whatever it takes to get your hands on Gothic 2! Morrowind is a great game, no question, one of the best RPGs of all time even. But if you loved Gothic and you don't get Gothic 2, you are cheating yourself. Gothic 2 was awesome, one of the coolest things I have ever seen done with a sequel is what these developers did...they included locations from Gothic 1 but as a part of the storyline, those areas had changed. It was like visiting an old friend. But there were so many huge new areas, and the old familiar ones were different now. Gothic 2 takes everything you liked about Gothic 1, supersizes it, and adds an apple pie. As another poster mentioned, there were some non-gritty spots added in, but I thought this just added some contrast and depth. Just get Gothic 2, it is much shorter than Morrowind (30-60 hrs instead of 100-200 hrs) so get it, get your fix, then start on the enjoyable marathon that is Morrowind.

Brak
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Ryz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Indeed the answer to the poster's original question is undoubtly GOTHIC 2.
Gothic 1+2 combined are definetely superiour to Morrowind. Although Morrowind offers a nice experience, and is bigger overall.. That's about it.

The drawbacks which have been mentioned by many posters such as the boring, uninspired combo's, static world and npc's etc. make it worse than Gothic. Gothic offers a very interesting experience due to the unqiue persona's, with speech which have all schedules in the day and night cycle. It's great. Gothic 1 vs morrowind I still say Gothic 1 wins, ok morrowing has better graphics. But Gothic 2 wins. Maybe the character models arent greatly detailed but the lush world with excellent textures is awesome to walk in.. The gothic series present a living and breathing world in which you will be immersed, if Gothic 1 got ya you will love 2. I am playing 2 now after I finished gothic 1 2 times and I must say that meeting odl characters and old locations is great!
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:57 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by Ryz
Indeed the answer to the poster's original question is undoubtly GOTHIC 2.
Gothic 1+2 combined are definetely superiour to Morrowind. Although Morrowind offers a nice experience, and is bigger overall.. That's about it.

The drawbacks which have been mentioned by many posters such as the boring, uninspired combo's, static world and npc's etc. make it worse than Gothic. Gothic offers a very interesting experience due to the unqiue persona's, with speech which have all schedules in the day and night cycle. It's great. Gothic 1 vs morrowind I still say Gothic 1 wins, ok morrowing has better graphics. But Gothic 2 wins. Maybe the character models arent greatly detailed but the lush world with excellent textures is awesome to walk in.. The gothic series present a living and breathing world in which you will be immersed, if Gothic 1 got ya you will love 2. I am playing 2 now after I finished gothic 1 2 times and I must say that meeting odl characters and old locations is great!

What is better in MW:

1-It's MUCH bigger.

2-You have tons of mods, that add interactivity. Take my complete MW series as an example. It adds the ability to Cook, Sew, Make Pottery & Cut Wood. And all of this is less then 1MB.

3-Graphic is clearly nicer(Well, I didn't play either of gothics, but screenshots tell a lot about Graphic.). If you like the lush green textures, use my "Spring" or "Joyful Morrowind" mods. Or Brash's "Fantasy Color MW".

4-There is\are mod\mods that add schedules to NPCs, and enhance them.

5-Combat is improved a lot by "Combat Moves", and the upcoming(BETA available already IIRC) "Enhanced Combat".

6-Once you complete it(even if several times), you don't throw that box away, but download a mod or two, and at least 5 more hours are guaranteed.

7-The ability to change anything in the game yourself easily is a very powerful, and almost unque future(No game that I know has better Const. Set. Yes, NWN, WC3, etc have nice editors, but nothing is as powerful as the TESCS).

To find all the mods mentioned above visit MWSummit
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:03 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

This topic is very old and needs to be closed. It's obviously just a matter of personal taste as far as which game people prefer.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:40 pm
freakbot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm old and have been playing CRPG's since they started. There are no games that compare to the Gothic games. Even with all the freaky bugs they are still my favorites. Now, there are still a lot of very good, even great game you could play, but I'm afraid none are likely to cast the same type of spell on you that Gothic did.

I'd try Morrowind next. Sure, there are a lot of things the game gets wrong, but it's still fun in a lot of ways. If you buy the GOTY edition you are getting a helluva deal.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:32 pm
UNABOMBER
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~

What is better in MW:

1-It's MUCH bigger.

2-You have tons of mods, that add interactivity. Take my complete MW series as an example. It adds the ability to Cook, Sew, Make Pottery & Cut Wood. And all of this is less then 1MB.

3-Graphic is clearly nicer(Well, I didn't play either of gothics, but screenshots tell a lot about Graphic.). If you like the lush green textures, use my "Spring" or "Joyful Morrowind" mods. Or Brash's "Fantasy Color MW".

4-There is\are mod\mods that add schedules to NPCs, and enhance them.

5-Combat is improved a lot by "Combat Moves", and the upcoming(BETA available already IIRC) "Enhanced Combat".

6-Once you complete it(even if several times), you don't throw that box away, but download a mod or two, and at least 5 more hours are guaranteed.

7-The ability to change anything in the game yourself easily is a very powerful, and almost unque future(No game that I know has better Const. Set. Yes, NWN, WC3, etc have nice editors, but nothing is as powerful as the TESCS).

To find all the mods mentioned above visit MWSummit

1 - Yes, it's bigger and has many more quests than gothic. If I hadn't to wait and watch loading screens every 2 minutes it would greatly improve the gameplay;

2 - There are many cool mods out there (yours are really great!). With the mods one can vastly improve the look of the ugly, blocky models of morrowind. I really like astarsia's beauty packs and better bodies. It is also possible to add new buildings, landmasses, items, quests, sounds, features and so on. It's really a flexible game and that's the nicest feature of morrowind.

3, 4, 5 and 6 - Brash's work is awesome. As said before, there are many ways one can improve the game, but those are developed by the community, and in most of the cases to fix/change/improve some original aspect of the game that the same people didn't like very much, or add something that was missing in the original version. No doubt it grants a great replay value but right out of the box morrowind is far less fun than with those great mods available.

7 - Yeah, TESCS is a really powerful toy. I find more fun in making my own mods and testing them than playing the game itself.

All in all, Morrowind IS a great game. However, the cell system is a major annoyance and no mod can avoid ridiculous situations like freezing at three feet of the target, sword raised above your head, while the game loads the next cell. It breaks the rhytm of the game and, in my opinion, drops the gameplay to abyssal levels. Not funny working out your character speed, spending a hundred thousand bucks to enchant a pair of boots to run faster and only get a smaller interval between loading screens as reward. A real pain when you get a lot of missions like "go to NorthEndOfIsland town, get a item/ingredient/armor/weapon and bring it back to SouthEndOfIsland's shop".

Someone said that MW offers 400+ hours of gameplay and hundreds of books to read. Well, he should also say that a good part of those hours are spent with something else while you wait for the game to load areas. Books are a nice feature if used with common sense, like giving you a quest or clues about the game world. But, hey, If I want to read a lot I'll grab one of my own, real books and sit in my sofa, not in front of the computer. Surely it gives MW a richer background but i'm not sure if I want something THAT deep when playing.

As you can see, I like Gothic better.

The atmosphere is much more immersive, I think. NPCs are actually living their lives, not just standing over there waiting for you to interact with them. The smith is forging his swords, the priests are studying their books, the novices are sweeping the floor, the farmers are harvesting the fields, the soldiers are training. You break into a house in the late hours of the night, the owner is exactly where he's supposed to be - in the bed, snorting.

You wait for a while in the woods and you can see a couple of wolves hunting down a molerat, monsters fighting each other.

Overall it's a much more "living" world and it really drags you into the game. I have been playing both I and II for a couple years and every time I do it I find something I didn't see before.

Gothic's story is pretty straight, you can easily track your quests (MW journal system makes it almost impossible) and you only need to wait for the game to load once - when you start it.

I recommend these games to everyone, in this order:

Gothic, Gothic 2 & Morrowind.

If you haven't play Gothic yet, you're missing one of the most cool gaming experiences ever and your education as a gamer isn't complete =). No screenshot can show you how it really is. No words can describe it accurately. I boldly recommend you try it - you'll like it, I'm pretty sure!!

Regards,

Unabomber.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:32 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by UNABOMBER
"go to NorthEndOfIsland town, get a item/ingredient/armor/weapon and bring it back to SouthEndOfIsland's shop".

Here, I agree with you completely.

quote:
If you haven't play Gothic yet, you're missing one of the most cool gaming experiences ever and your education as a gamer isn't complete =). No screenshot can show you how it really is. No words can describe it accurately. I boldly recommend you try it - you'll like it, I'm pretty sure!!

Regards,

Unabomber.

1-If I could get it, I'd definitely play it.
2-My gaming education is faaaar from perfect.
Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:18 pm
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm really not surprised to see this thread topic alive and well. I've been away from these forums for months and it almost doesn't seem like I've been away at all.

IMO, this kind of thread is rather pointless because as someone said earlier, it's all a matter of taste. Being a long time gamer makes absolutely no difference in whether or not an opinion holds more weight than another. I'm a long time gamer and I found Morrowind to be much more enjoyable than Gothic. I love freedom and I chafe at being hand held in my gaming experiences. Gothic was a good game but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as Morrowind for me.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:00 pm
Sir_Lonewolf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic vs. Morrowind

I started playing Morrowind a long time ago....I've had 2 long pauses from the game, and after the first I tried Gothic 2 (and played that for a long time). After some month I stopped playing and return to Morrowind.

What I'm trying to say is... In the long run I prefer Morrowind over Gothic.
I will return to Morrowind again and again, but I think I'll never return to Gothic.
There's just more to do and more freedom in Morrowind.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:41 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I agree! Morrowind just keeps pulling you back even when you are fed up with it. Gothic loses it touch after the first playthrough. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard fan of both games and would take up a sword to defend them against slander but I just think Morrowind pulls you in better. (specially it being first person and all)
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:53 am
Sir_Lonewolf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Dunmer King
I agree! Morrowind just keeps pulling you back even when you are fed up with it. Gothic loses it touch after the first playthrough. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard fan of both games and would take up a sword to defend them against slander but I just think Morrowind pulls you in better. (specially it being first person and all)

Not to forget that Morrowind gives you the freedom to do what you want, in a much larger scale than Gothic.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:08 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

But the question is if you want replayability and complete freedom or if you´re the story driven type. I usually prefer games which tell a story, and I play them only once. I like freedom, but I don´t want to have to search for story pieces.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:30 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hehe, this thread is so old, I was stunned to read my own post in it, I had completely forgotten it.

As to the MW-Gothic controversy: its been said, its all a matter of taste. I would throw in that I actually like both games equally (and thus to my mind they are actually not THAT different). Gothic has is stronger in the story and the "aliveness" of the world, TES has its strength in size, freedom (be what you want, go where you want, do what you want) and in the extensive lore. I am just happy both series exist and have (now confirmed) sequels in the making. I hope both sereies learn from each other and produce perfect games (according to my tastes of course ). Life is good.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Merging Gothic simulated NPC life and perhaps combat scripts into The Elder Scrolls would produce an incredible game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:58 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next